C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

VS' C450 Walkthrough: AMG Dynamic Select

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
2018 GLC63
VS' C450 Walkthrough: AMG Dynamic Select

As I test out the different driving modes in the C450, I thought it would be worthwhile to capture a few pictures.

Here is what I have so far (starting with a bulletin excerpt):

Vehicle Settings

Individual Configuration

Sport

Sport+

Individual

Individual -> Drive

Individual -> Drive: Sport+ (Available Settings: [1]Comfort [2]Eco [3]Sport [4]Sport+ [5]Manual)

Individual -> Suspension

Individual -> Suspension: Comfort (Available Settings: [1]Comfort [2]Sport [3]Sport+)

Individual -> Steering

Individual -> Steering: Sport (Available Settings: [1]Comfort [2]Sport)

Individual -> Eco Start/Stop Function

Individual -> Eco Start/Stop Function: Off (Available Settings: [1]Off [2]On)

Individual -> Climate Control

Individual -> Climate Control: Comfort (Available Settings: [1]Comfort [2]Eco)
Old 10-07-2015, 09:44 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 C450
Vipershade, you rock man! You are the best. Thanks for the info bro
Old 10-07-2015, 09:44 AM
awz

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 C300, 2023 EQB 350
Highway Drive

Yesterday, I took my C450 for a 200-mile drive on the Interstate. I found the exhaust sound in Comfort mode to be as quiet at 70 mph in level cruise as my traded-in C400. However, with a slight uphill grade or light throttle increase, I noted the drone mentioned by Radarguy on p.46. Switching to Sport mode dropped the transmission one gear and made the drone go away. In Comfort, the same annoying note occurs at lower speeds with moderate throttle increase. The drivetrain always seems to be reaching for the highest possible gear for economy reasons in Comfort or Eco. Again, Sport or Sport+ cures the problem.
Although, I'm trying to restrain myself during the break-in period, the passing power of the C450 is impressive. With a kickdown at 70, you can find yourself rocketing past 100 very quickly. One oddity I noted is the discontinuity of the speedometer at 80 mph. Below 80, one increment on the speedometer represents 5 mph. Above 80, an increment represents 10 mph. So, if you're not used to it, when you think you're at 85, you're actually doing 90 mph. Fortunately, the head-up display always reads true. It's worth the asking price for that and the nav instructions.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by autopal
Thx man! Hopefully I can do more of these... any reason I can get to either drive the car, or just go and sit in it...is worth it!

Originally Posted by awz
Yesterday, I took my C450 for a 200-mile drive on the Interstate. I found the exhaust sound in Comfort mode to be as quiet at 70 mph in level cruise as my traded-in C400. However, with a slight uphill grade or light throttle increase, I noted the drone mentioned by Radarguy on p.46. Switching to Sport mode dropped the transmission one gear and made the drone go away. In Comfort, the same annoying note occurs at lower speeds with moderate throttle increase. The drivetrain always seems to be reaching for the highest possible gear for economy reasons in Comfort or Eco. Again, Sport or Sport+ cures the problem.
Although, I'm trying to restrain myself during the break-in period, the passing power of the C450 is impressive. With a kickdown at 70, you can find yourself rocketing past 100 very quickly. One oddity I noted is the discontinuity of the speedometer at 80 mph. Below 80, one increment on the speedometer represents 5 mph. Above 80, an increment represents 10 mph. So, if you're not used to it, when you think you're at 85, you're actually doing 90 mph. Fortunately, the head-up display always reads true. It's worth the asking price for that and the nav instructions.
Good info man!

I have been taking it easy, so far... (With the lack of break-in procedure sticker on the windshield, the dealer said to keep it under a 100 for the first 1000... not sure if they came up with an official statement on that, I haven't seen any other info on it).

That is interesting about the speedometer, I didn't notice that (someone asked about the speedometer midpoint yesterday).

Yeah, I am all about the HUD, I am really glad that I got that.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 C450
So, that mean I can have loud exhaust and comfort settings saved, and another setting in eco for my wife, correct? I think the car would determine which setting to go to on start up depending on which key is used, is that a correct assumption?
Old 10-07-2015, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
So, that mean I can have loud exhaust and comfort settings saved, and another setting in eco for my wife, correct?
Yeah, so the Individual -> Drive setting would be Sport+ and the Suspension setting would be Comfort. And you would always select Individual. (Using the Dynamic Select switch (see image below)).

And then your wife would either use the default of Comfort, or select Eco (which I haven't looked at yet).

I think the car would determine which setting to go to on start up depending on which key is used, is that a correct assumption?
That would be cool, but afaik the car will always start in Comfort mode and then you have to adjust it with the Dynamic Select switch:

Canada may get the 4 hour setting that leaves the mode alone if you restart within 4 hours... we need someone to test that.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450 (no code 165 option..)
Thank you for the detail, well done. With regard to the engine start in Sport +. I had read the bulletin you posted before and have not been able to get my car to react as they state "remains active for 4 hours" I get normal engine start (within the 4 hr window) and default to comfort mode (really wish that could be set). US car. Thanks for the help

Last edited by Sma2c; 10-07-2015 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Clarify. Added "US Car"
Old 10-07-2015, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by Sma2c
Thank you for the detail, well done. With regard to the engine start in Sport +. I had read the bulletin you posted before and have not been able to get my car to react as they state "remains active for 4 hours" I get normal engine start (within the 4 hr window) and default to comfort mode (really wish that could be set). US car. Thanks for the help
Thx man!

From what I have seen (so far), it appears that the government regulations have screwed us yet again in the US. It appears that the "4 hour" grace period has been removed from the Mercedes US versions

I have a feeling that the only way around this is going to be a software hack.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:42 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
The Infamous C450
Nice thread, looking forward to getting my settings dialed in.

Originally Posted by Vipershade
Thx man!

From what I have seen (so far), it appears that the government regulations have screwed us yet again in the US. It appears that the "4 hour" grace period has been removed from the Mercedes US versions

I think so... right up there with the ILS headlight features were missing out on.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 C200 AMG line, '08 C300 Sport Avantgarde, '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, '02 CLK 200 (gone)
FWIW, the 4-hour rule applies to the Japan-spec C200 (built in Germany). Wish it was a bit longer.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by whkento
FWIW, the 4-hour rule applies to the Japan-spec C200 (built in Germany). Wish it was a bit longer.
Good info... It would be nice to get the full picture. Thx man
Old 10-09-2015, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping 2019 GLC 63s
This is AWESOME!! I just noticed your post. This will be definitely be helpful after I hit 1000 miles in March 2016.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by iwork4wine
This is AWESOME!! I just noticed your post. This will be definitely be helpful after I hit 1000 miles in March 2016.
I know moving from [C]omfort to [I]ndividual only takes a second, and it feels like we are being a bit lazy trying to circumvent that... but man, I really want to figure out a way to have it start in something other than [C].
Old 10-09-2015, 03:55 PM

Shopping 2019 GLC 63s
I know moving from [C]omfort to [I]ndividual only takes a second, and it feels like we are being a bit lazy trying to circumvent that... but man, I really want to figure out a way to have it start in something other than [C].
Once I hit my 1000 miles I would like to have it permanently in Sport+. I will have to ask the young kid at M-B that knows the vehicle inside and out if we can leave it in Sport+. They still have not transferred my registration.

I cannot lose my license plate of "LUV BRDX" (Love Bordeaux)

Last edited by iwork4wine; 10-09-2015 at 03:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-09-2015, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Once I hit my 1000 miles I would like to have it permanently in Sport+. I will have to ask the young kid at M-B that knows the vehicle inside and out if we can leave it in Sport+. They still have not transferred my registration.

I cannot lose my license plate of "LUV BRDX" (Love Bordeaux)
Nice... you are hitting wine from every angle!

Yeah, I need a new plate on the vehicle that I transferred the "MACH X" from, but I'm still waiting for the transfer to be complete...I swear the government moves like it is 1920.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:50 PM

W205 C450 AMG Sport
Thx man!

I test drove C450 a week ago in Vancouver BC, Canada. This is my test results, no matter what I did with dynamic select, upon ignition it will always go to comfort mode regardless. However, the only exception is if I was in Sport+ mode when I shut the car down, and then simulating exit and re-entry (getting out of the car and lock and unlock etc), the moment I start the car up, it will have a different exhaust note. I'm guessing the 4 hour period is set so the engine doesn't "over-rev" when it's cold. Regardless, it will set the car back to comfort mode after. Hope that helps.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by Zorq
I test drove C450 a week ago in Vancouver BC, Canada. This is my test results, no matter what I did with dynamic select, upon ignition it will always go to comfort mode regardless. However, the only exception is if I was in Sport+ mode when I shut the car down, and then simulating exit and re-entry (getting out of the car and lock and unlock etc), the moment I start the car up, it will have a different exhaust note. I'm guessing the 4 hour period is set so the engine doesn't "over-rev" when it's cold. Regardless, it will set the car back to comfort mode after. Hope that helps.
Good info... I just went down and confirmed that. It looks like it is related to the Drive setting. If the Drive setting is Sport+ (which can either be the Dynamic mode set to Sport+ or the Dynamic mode set to Individual and the Drive setting set to Sport+) you will get the "better" (probably "best") start up exhaust. Thx man!
Old 10-09-2015, 05:52 PM

W205 C450 AMG Sport
Good info... I just went down and confirmed that. It looks like it is related to the Drive setting. If the Drive setting is Sport+ (which can either be the Dynamic mode set to Sport+ or the Dynamic mode set to Individual and the Drive setting set to Sport+) you will get the "better" (probably "best") start up exhaust. Thx man!
Glad I was able to help and happy to hear additional info about being able to do the same using Individual set to Sport+, the car itself is worth the sticker price just for that "exotic" car start up sound imho lol.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by Zorq
Glad I was able to help and happy to hear additional info about being able to do the same using Individual set to Sport+, the car itself is worth the sticker price just for that "exotic" car start up sound imho lol.
Next we need to figure out how to make it always start in Sport+ or Individual... the sad thing is that you know that it is a single entry on a single line in the car's computer.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:50 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
The Infamous C450
Next we need to figure out how to make it always start in Sport+ or Individual... the sad thing is that you know that it is a single entry on a single line in the car's computer.
Exactly. Who is a well known aftermarket coder/programmer in the MB community?
Old 10-29-2015, 11:34 AM

C450 AMG & ML350 Bluetec
Can also confirm. My C450 will do the louder startup after being in Sport+ but will default to comfort mode in dynamic select. Almost done the break in period...so hard not to put your foot down!
Old 10-29-2015, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by ZachHans
Can also confirm. My C450 will do the louder startup after being in Sport+ but will default to comfort mode in dynamic select. Almost done the break in period...so hard not to put your foot down!
Welcome!

I'm with ya, I still have a little bit of break-in left myself. I have a couple really windy back roads here, and I can't help but to open up every once in a while. You can feel the rear wheels pushing you through the turns while the front wheels lock-on... I haven't had this much fun driving in a while.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:03 PM

Shopping 2019 GLC 63s
Thx man!

I think Brabus has a work around for our problem always starting in the comfort mode.

Start-Stop Memory
000-660-00

BRABUS Start-Stop Memory
additional control unit for deactivation

http://www.brabus.com/en/raster.php?...9&modell=40581

I will try and confirm on Monday.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
I think Brabus has a work around for our problem always starting in the comfort mode.

Start-Stop Memory
000-660-00

BRABUS Start-Stop Memory

Nice!
Old 11-08-2015, 02:55 AM
D3S

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 GLE 450

Start-Stop Memory
000-660-00

BRABUS Start-Stop Memory

I think might just be an aftermarket version of the button we have in North America allowing us to disable the Eco stop / start when the vehicle comes to a stop. If I recall correctly, some jurisdictions make it compulsory and don't permit the driver to be able to override it all.

Hope I'm wrong though, would love to see a workaround to just keep the car in sport+ 24/7!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VS' C450 Walkthrough: AMG Dynamic Select