C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Steering Wheel Tilt Wouldn't Work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 04:38 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
C43
Steering Wheel Tilt Wouldn't Work

Yesterday after getting in the car, the wheel wouldn't move back down into the lower driving position. Was stuck in the highest position, which made it feel like I was driving a bus. The manual tilt adjustment did nothing, though the telescoping still worked fine. Easy access was "on", so I turned off...no change. Turned easy access back on..no change.

I checked the fuse schematic and found a listing for "Heated / adjustment steering wheel", (don't have heated wheel) which referenced 3 separate fuses. Located all, removed, inspected, reinstalled...no change. Could hear a slight clicking when activating manual lever so assumed the motor fried.

I drove the car the rest of the day, through numerous restarts and the problem persisted. Got in the car this morning, adjusted manually and all worked perfectly! Keeping easy access off and the wheel down low now.

Anyone else experience anything similar??
Old 11-06-2015, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Shotime
Yesterday after getting in the car, the wheel wouldn't move back down into the lower driving position. Was stuck in the highest position, which made it feel like I was driving a bus. The manual tilt adjustment did nothing, though the telescoping still worked fine. Easy access was "on", so I turned off...no change. Turned easy access back on..no change.

I checked the fuse schematic and found a listing for "Heated / adjustment steering wheel", (don't have heated wheel) which referenced 3 separate fuses. Located all, removed, inspected, reinstalled...no change. Could hear a slight clicking when activating manual lever so assumed the motor fried.

I drove the car the rest of the day, through numerous restarts and the problem persisted. Got in the car this morning, adjusted manually and all worked perfectly! Keeping easy access off and the wheel down low now.

Anyone else experience anything similar??
I've had the tilt up when off option on many Benzes, but my feeling is that it's something that if used every day, day in and out, is something that can stop working. I just don't use it. I'm not petite, but I can easily get in my car with the steering wheel in it's normal driving position.

I am using the auto folding side mirrors. And I wonder how long that may go before getting stuck. But then, to me the side mirrors are often dinged in parking lots, so I'm hoping it saves them from car doors and the motors last a long time.

I hope whatever gremlin made your steering wheel stay in the up position has moved on and it doesn't happen again.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:06 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
C43
I used to worry about that too but my W210 auto tilt was used every day for years and never had a problem. I also make every effort not to grab the wheel and put weight on it when getting out of the car. Hoping it is just the referenced gremlin...
Old 11-06-2015, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Shotime
I used to worry about that too but my W210 auto tilt was used every day for years and never had a problem. I also make every effort not to grab the wheel and put weight on it when getting out of the car. Hoping it is just the referenced gremlin...
The good news is you have a 4 year manufacturers warranty. So if it happens again, you're covered. And yes, here's hoping the Gremlin has gone on permanent vacation.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:44 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
I've had the tilt up when off option on many Benzes, but my feeling is that it's something that if used every day, day in and out, is something that can stop working. I just don't use it. I'm not petite, but I can easily get in my car with the steering wheel in it's normal driving position.

I am using the auto folding side mirrors. And I wonder how long that may go before getting stuck. But then, to me the side mirrors are often dinged in parking lots, so I'm hoping it saves them from car doors and the motors last a long time.

I hope whatever gremlin made your steering wheel stay in the up position has moved on and it doesn't happen again.
Hope you are enjoying your new car rbrylaw. I have always used the mirror folding option on lock on all my benz no problems so do not worry. Occasionally in specific situations mainly cold and damp they make a noise when they fold but nothing to worry about!
Old 11-06-2015, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Unhappy

Originally Posted by parkwood
Hope you are enjoying your new car rbrylaw. I have always used the mirror folding option on lock on all my benz no problems so do not worry. Occasionally in specific situations mainly cold and damp they make a noise when they fold but nothing to worry about!
I'm really liking the car. A couple minor issues the dealer will be addressing. The rear windshield came with some nicks in it and they've ordered a replacement and there's a paint blemish on the rear bumper (very small and not major), but they'll be taking care of that as well.

I don't have worry much about cold interfering with the folding mirrors. Florida doesn't get much cold. In fact, fall seems to have decided to not even come this year. We're having the hottest November in history down here with temps still in the 90s. The ventilated seats have come in handy thus far!