C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

What causes poor acceleration?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 01:05 AM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2012 E550 Sedan
Try the infamous Mercedes transmission trick to reset it.

1. Push the Start button twice to turn all of the electronics on but don't start the engine. (If you don't have Keyless Go turn your key to the right until all of the electronics are on, but don't start the engine.)

2. Floor the accelerator down to the floor and hold it there for at least 10 seconds.

3. While still holding your foot on the accelerator push the Start button once or turn your key back to the left and remove it. Take your foot off the accelerator and wait 2 minutes without pushing any other buttons.

4. Then open the driver's door and close it. Start the car like you normally would and you should notice a more responsive transmission.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by jumpman726

1. Push the Start button twice to turn all of the electronics on but don't start the engine. (If you don't have Keyless Go turn your key to the right until all of the electronics are on, but don't start the engine.)

2. Floor the accelerator down to the floor and hold it there for at least 10 seconds.

3. While still holding your foot on the accelerator push the Start button once or turn your key back to the left and remove it. Take your foot off the accelerator and wait 2 minutes without pushing any other buttons.

4. Then open the driver's door and close it. Start the car like you normally would and you should notice a more responsive transmission.

Great info, thanks...but won't the transmission just go back to it's slow boggy ways once it "re-learns" again?
Old 02-05-2016, 11:13 AM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2012 E550 Sedan
Originally Posted by MASSC300
Great info, thanks...but won't the transmission just go back to it's slow boggy ways once it "re-learns" again?
Yes, you're right. The transmission will eventually re-learn your characteristics and feel sluggish again, so you'll have to perform the reset trick again when that happens. Maybe once a month.

I take my E550 to an independent Mercedes shop instead of the dealer and after every service I immediately notice the transmission much more responsive, so there must be a quick setting that allows the mechanics to quickly reset the transmission through their diagnostic computer.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205
Talking

Is there any way to confirm that the reset is complete? I just did this and the car does feel more responsive now. Though I only took it for one test drive after reset, I look forward to some more testing this weekend.

Thank you so much for this information.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:14 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Talking It makes me feel young again!

Yes, you're right. The transmission will eventually re-learn your characteristics and feel sluggish again, so you'll have to perform the reset trick again when that happens. Maybe once a month.
Or you could just drive like maniac all the time. ("I know, officer, but I've reprogrammed my transmission and I have to keep it responsive.")
Old 02-05-2016, 03:30 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by gfmohn
"I know, officer, but I've reprogrammed my transmission and I have to keep it responsive.")
Old 02-06-2016, 02:28 PM

2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
I have a loaner CLA right now and the thing rips when you step on it. feels way quicker than my c-class. very torquey. I wonder how they could be so different

Last edited by topsider; 02-06-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by topsider
I have a loaner CLA right now and the thing rips. feels way quicker than my c-class. very torquey. I wonder how they could be so different
Is it AMG?
Old 02-06-2016, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C300
Originally Posted by DapperStyle
I can absolutely assure you that in my two weeks with a 2015 C300 I drove in Sport+ with ESP set to Off and there was still lag off the line. At a red light with brake hold on as soon as it turned green I floored it and still didn't feel "throw you back" torque like how I feel with my 2014 C with Sport on and ESP off, I implore anyone in the NYC area who has a W205 to try my car out for themselves. It's night and day, when I got my car back the instant torque was so welcoming.

I don't want to seem like I'm trying to be down on the W205 because I'm not. Every single aspect of that car was a HUGE upgrade compared to my car. The interior was a great place to be and when I got my car back the gear shifter felt so archaic to use and I went for a non-existent stalk on my steering wheel at least 5 times. My lease is up in April and unless there are some good incentives on a 450 I'll likely end up with the C300 but a tune will be the first thing on my list!
Interesting observation. I had a 2014 C250 and my biggest complaint about the car was the insufferable lag in power delivery whenever I needed it. That meant that I would always have to floor it to get it to knockdown and get going. And yes, the car was more responsive when it was new.

When I got the 2016 C300 a month ago, the first huge improvement I saw was the availability of the Sport+ mode which held the RPM higher and so the car was more responsive, thus addressing my biggest complaint about the C250.

However, I've had a 2015 C300 4MATIC loaner two times and I noticed it was not as responsive as my 2016 RWD car. And now, after driving my 2016 around for 1200 miles, I've noticed that it too is starting to lose that responsiveness a bit.

So I'm thinking that yet again, it might be the adaptive transmission, since I drive in traffic a lot.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:06 PM

2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Popcrnchicken
Is it AMG?
nope, just a 250.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:30 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
Originally Posted by OpAmp
Interesting observation. I had a 2014 C250 and my biggest complaint about the car was the insufferable lag in power delivery whenever I needed it. That meant that I would always have to floor it to get it to knockdown and get going. And yes, the car was more responsive when it was new.

When I got the 2016 C300 a month ago, the first huge improvement I saw was the availability of the Sport+ mode which held the RPM higher and so the car was more responsive, thus addressing my biggest complaint about the C250.

However, I've had a 2015 C300 4MATIC loaner two times and I noticed it was not as responsive as my 2016 RWD car. And now, after driving my 2016 around for 1200 miles, I've noticed that it too is starting to lose that responsiveness a bit.

So I'm thinking that yet again, it might be the adaptive transmission, since I drive in traffic a lot.
I'm sure the upgrade from the 250 to the C300 was a nice jump. Maybe it has to do with displacement, my car is a 3.5 V6 which I feel plays a part in the torque feel.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:22 PM

Size matters

Originally Posted by DapperStyle
I'm sure the upgrade from the 250 to the C300 was a nice jump. Maybe it has to do with displacement, my car is a 3.5 V6 which I feel plays a part in the torque feel.
"The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic money." - Briggs Cunningham
Old 02-07-2016, 03:42 PM

Angry It's over!

Give it up! Here comes our worst nightmare! The nanny state is going to take away control of your gas pedal! From boston.com (the free online edition of the Boston Globe):

New pedal pushes back when you’re wasting fuel
By Sanjay Salomon Boston.com Staff | 02.04.16 | 1:42 PM
Auto parts maker Bosch has invented a pedal that alerts drivers when they are pushing too hard on the gas, potentially hurting their car’s gas mileage.
In a statement, the auto parts maker points out the driver’s foot is responsible for one-quarter of fuel consumption. As a response, the company announced its “active gas pedal,” which alerts drivers to their lead-footed driving behavior by sending a light buzzing signal through the driver’s foot.
According to Bosch, the gas pedal could improve a vehicle’s fuel efficiency by as much as 7 percent. For example, it could signal to a driver that it is time to switch gears to avoid over-revving.

Notice the size of the "car of the future" Bosch thinks you're going to be driving! Also, notice the progression of "disincentives" in the upper right-hand corner. Will that "knocking" be loud enough for the voice-enabled "cruise-control" sitting next to you to hear? What further disincentives will come after "knocking"?

Bosch is not planning sell this technology to auto manufacturers one at a time. The manufacturers know that customers would regard these devices as instruments of the devil. They would avoid them by going to other brands as long as they could. No, Bosch is betting that, as soon as legislators see that this technology is available, its use will be mandated, and Bosch will be first at the trough.

I leave to your imagination the additional uses for which this technology can be used. But don't think about this before bedtime.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by gfmohn

Give it up! Here comes our worst nightmare! The nanny state is going to take away control of your gas pedal! From boston.com (the free online edition of the Boston Globe):

Bosch is not planning sell this technology to auto manufacturers one at a time. The manufacturers know that customers would regard these devices as instruments of the devil. They would avoid them by going to other brands as long as they could. No, Bosch is betting that, as soon as legislators see that this technology is available, its use will be mandated, and Bosch will be first at the trough.

I leave to your imagination the additional uses for which this technology can be used. But don't think about this before bedtime.

You're either joking, or you watch too much FOX news...

Old 02-08-2016, 11:53 AM

The environmentalists are coming

Originally Posted by MASSC300

You're either joking, or you watch too much FOX news...
I agree it seems like a parody story from the last page of Autoweek. I reproduced the whole article, but here is the link: https://www.boston.com/cars/news-and...subheadline_hp.

I don't watch Fox news; "nanny state" is my personal reaction. Constant themes in liberal journals I read are "How do we get Americans out of their cars?", "How do we break America's 'addiction' [a favorite word] to oil?", etc. The methods proposed are to make automobile ownership more expensive ("Make automobile lovers pay the full expenses of their 'addiction')" and less enjoyable (through over-regulation). Many years ago, the city council of Berkeley, CA, proudly proclaimed that they had combined one-way streets. speed bumps, and parking restrictions to make auto driving in their city as difficult as they legally could.

I had in mind the two MBWorld threads in which W205 owners go on and on about how much they hate the auto start/stop feature and how they have to push a button to disable it every time they start their car. (Similar threads occur in the forums for E-Class (W212) (at least 2 more, one of them entitled "MERCEDES BUYERS, BEWARE THE ECO NIGHTMARE!"), New M-Class (W166) (at least another two more), and probably others. I stopped counting.) The heads of these purists will explode when they hear about this pedal!

They care about control harmonization (whether they know it or not). This is a term from aviation. Control harmonization means more than mere "feel". It means that the controls have similar feel, control pressure, range of movement, etc., all combined so that the operator does not have to mentally separate the operation of each control. Then vehicle responds to the operator in a natural way. This explains much about the superiority of BMW handling, but my little 1985 Mazda Protégé also had good control harmonization.

Now, we will have a control pedal that is intended to interfere with the "feel" for this control. "Counterpressure" means "push back". There will not be a button to disable this pedal.

Robert Bosch is the world's largest auto parts manufacturer. They KNOW they can sell this monster somewhere. The only question is, will it be in the U.S.?