C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

How Fragile are the 18" AMG 5 spoke rims?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 08:00 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C300
How Fragile are the 18" AMG 5 spoke rims?

i'm scared.......

i love the rims and how the car looks overall.

but i'm in NY, and i work in the inner city, AKA ghetto.

crapton of potholes in here.

i used to have afteermarket forged 19" on my old g35. i had to replace 3 rims during 4 years due to potholes.

how easy do the stock sport package 18" amg rims stand against nasty potholes?

just picked it up 2 days ago:

fresh off the dealer in NY
Old 02-11-2016, 10:54 PM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by NYbenzzz
i'm scared.......

i love the rims and how the car looks overall.

but i'm in NY, and i work in the inner city, AKA ghetto.

crapton of potholes in here.

i used to have afteermarket forged 19" on my old g35. i had to replace 3 rims during 4 years due to potholes.

how easy do the stock sport package 18" amg rims stand against nasty potholes?

just picked it up 2 days ago:

fresh off the dealer in NY
I've had my E550 coupe for over a year and I think the factory AMG rims are as good as any other. From my perspective, they are not substandard if that is your question. However, I wouldn't expect them to hold up any better driving around NYC than your old rims. NYC streets are ****, especially after a typical winter. Which is why I won't drive any of my cars there. Potholes bad enough to take out most SUV's and some trucks are going to do a number on your rims if you drive into one of those craters.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:10 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by PaulE550
I've had my E550 coupe for over a year and I think the factory AMG rims are as good as any other. From my perspective, they are not substandard if that is your question. However, I wouldn't expect them to hold up any better driving around NYC than your old rims. NYC streets are ****, especially after a typical winter. Which is why I won't drive any of my cars there. Potholes bad enough to take out most SUV's and some trucks are going to do a number on your rims if you drive into one of those craters.
yeah NYC streets are no joke after a winter.

i work in the middle of brooklyn, so half my commute is LOCAL brooklyn streets.
i also can't street park anywhere, way too many rims getting stolen and cars left on bricks or on calipers here in brooklyn and queens.

sigh.......can't have anything nice without worrying for theft in NY.

thank god the headlights on this benz illuminates the road like a boss, i can actually see incoming potholes.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 c300 4matic
I frequently commute to Brooklyn, the roads are complete ****! Get the wheel and tire insurance! I don't know the cost of it from an NYC dealer but here in PA it was 1,200 for two years with my w204 on standard wheels and tires. I'm actually picking up my w205 today and I plan on getting the insurance again. Ill update with the price tomorrow.

It more than paid for itself, I went trough 7 tires and 2 rims...... mostly due to the BQE...