C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C-Class Adaptive LED's scored "poor" in new IIHS test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 02:11 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by beceen
TBH, as a European I cannot fathom how you guys in the US use red turn signals/stop/running lights. Who ever thought that is a good idea?
yeah in the US our brake lights function as the turn signals and the white strip for the ambers is just blank. it looks cheap. funny enough it was American cars that always had the red turn signals but now its switching to the euro companies cutting costs and not giving us ambers and now the American companies are switching to ambers so they look more upmarket. The new caddy's, lincolns, upper trim-level fords, and Denali's all have amber turn signals now and every Mercedes, BMW, and Audi does not.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:29 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by tmoneyC450amg
This article is complete bull. They can't tell the best setup from the most basic halogen setup...or their head from their butts..........
..........which is why both NTHSA and IIHS can go to hell.

As with many government organizations, while they may do certain things well occasionally, that is the exception, not the rule. Like they truly give a damn about us with all those *BLEEP*ing hidden agendas tied to whatever so-called study.

And don't get me started on the still-unproven and bogus man-made 'global warming' crap that is now renamed 'climate change' which has been occurring in cycles for centuries no matter WTF we do. But I will get started to make a point.

Theories like this are nothing but a theory until a peer reviewed study is done - the scientific standard whether you're talking meteorological science or nutritional science. Go ask the founder of the Weather Channel, John Coleman. That means scientists that you can't pick, some of whom hate your guts, get to review your work. If it passes that test unanimously, theory becomes fact.

But those politicos and companies pimping global warming have never had one done 'cause they know it's total BS (and will kill their financial gain.)

My point is this: The not so trustworthy IIHS and Highway-Transpo Safety geeks also don't let anyone review their alleged findings.

We're just supposed to accept it and shut up. No.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by BRBM

..........which is why both NTHSA and IIHS can go to hell.

As with many government organizations, while they may do certain things well occasionally, that is the exception, not the rule. Like they truly give a damn about us with all those *BLEEP*ing hidden agendas tied to whatever so-called study.

And don't get me started on the still-unproven and bogus man-made 'global warming' crap that is now renamed 'climate change' which has been occurring in cycles for centuries no matter WTF we do. But I will get started to make a point.

Theories like this are nothing but a theory until a peer reviewed study is done - the scientific standard whether you're talking meteorological science or nutritional science. Go ask the founder of the Weather Channel, John Coleman. That means scientists that you can't pick, some of whom hate your guts, get to review your work. If it passes that test unanimously, theory becomes fact.

But those politicos and companies pimping global warming have never had one done 'cause they know it's total BS (and will kill their financial gain.)

My point is this: The not so trustworthy IIHS and Highway-Transpo Safety geeks also don't let anyone review their alleged findings.

We're just supposed to accept it and shut up. No.

Nice manifesto...let me guess, you're a Trump supporter...
Old 03-31-2016, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 c450
Originally Posted by MASSC300
Nice manifesto...let me guess, you're a Trump supporter...
Old 03-31-2016, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Maritime

And you've been kicked off the site...ha ha!

Old 03-31-2016, 06:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C450; 2008 RX400h
The adaptive led lights already move up and down and left and right. Should this not just be a software update to aim the lights as the iihs says they like?
Old 04-03-2016, 12:11 AM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Exclamation GET THOSE HEADLIGHTS PROPERLY AIMED!

That's funny, I've had no problems with the adaptive LEDs on my 2015 C300. Maybe they're aimed right. ....
Originally Posted by StanNH
I thought the report was very interesting. In particular, they noted that they tested cars as delivered from the factory ... and that many of the cars had headlights that were improperly or poorly aligned. They clearly stated that misalignment caused at least some of the poor results they reported, and suggested that drivers have the headlights on their new cars checked rather than just assume they're fine from the factory....
As they come from the factory, many headlights are aimed too low. The "low beam" cutoff of the active LED headlights is so sharp that the effect is as if a mechanical shutter is coming down in front of the beam. The cutoff intersects the road a very short distance in front of the car. Since no light at all spills upwards from the cutoff, I found that when driving on the dark, wooded roads common in my area, the effect was like driving under a low-hanging bank of opaque black fog!

THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT PROPER DEALER ADJUSTMENT CAN GREATLY IMPROVE THESE ACTIVE LED HEADLIGHTS! The active LED headlights are not user-adjustable. I asked my dealer to adjust my headlights up to the legal limit. It turned out that, as delivered, the cutoffs on my "low beam" lights were much lower than the legal limit. That must be the factory setting, because the cutoffs of the "low beam" headlights on a recent loaner 2015 E-Class were even lower and closer.

THE ADJUSTMENT MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE! The cutoff is a far enough distant that I am longer out-driving my headlights. So far, no driver has blinked his lights at me. When I follow smaller cars, the cutoff is right at the bottom edge of the rear window. So I try to hang back, but the maximum following distance setting of my Distronic Plus seems to be okay.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:38 AM

2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by gfmohn
As they come from the factory, many headlights are aimed too low. The "low beam" cutoff of the active LED headlights is so sharp that the effect is as if a mechanical shutter is coming down in front of the beam. The cutoff intersects the road a very short distance in front of the car. Since no light at all spills upwards from the cutoff, I found that when driving on the dark, wooded roads common in my area, the effect was like driving under a low-hanging bank of opaque black fog!

THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT PROPER DEALER ADJUSTMENT CAN GREATLY IMPROVE THESE ACTIVE LED HEADLIGHTS! The active LED headlights are not user-adjustable. I asked my dealer to adjust my headlights up to the legal limit. It turned out that, as delivered, the cutoffs on my "low beam" lights were much lower than the legal limit. That must be the factory setting, because the cutoffs of the "low beam" headlights on a recent loaner 2015 E-Class were even lower and closer.

THE ADJUSTMENT MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE! The cutoff is a far enough distant that I am longer out-driving my headlights. So far, no driver has blinked his lights at me. When I follow smaller cars, the cutoff is right at the bottom edge of the rear window. So I try to hang back, but the maximum following distance setting of my Distronic Plus seems to be okay.
I wonder if they can adjust the static LEDs? it must a mechanism that can do it like with halogen lights, since the static do not auto-level therefor are probably not adjustable electronically
Old 04-04-2016, 04:25 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 C300
I had my active LED's adjusted by the dealer too. They were misaligned so it was obvious. Best lighting I have ever had or seen.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C450
Originally Posted by gfmohn

I find that my active LED headlights are way too low. I had a C300 loaner with static LED and they were much better than my active ones. I asked my dealer to adjust my active LEDs higher for me but he says that they automatically adjust according to the amount of light and there's no way to aim them higher. However, the static ones could be adjusted.

I see that you're able to get your dealer to do it for you. Did you know how they did it? I was wondering if there is an instruction online somewhere that I could bring to my dealer to get them adjusted. It's way too low right now...
Old 04-21-2016, 02:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
MB C300
And you've been kicked off the site...ha ha!

Ha! Glad he's gone too, was embarrassed to post on this forum with that guy floating about. Though best not to respond to trolls like him, or climate change guy anyway. Responding and letting them argue makes them think their rantings are legitimate.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
MB C300
Originally Posted by Uhlenhaut
I don't really care if the NHTSA's test was fair or not. No car bearing the three-point star should come equipped with halogen headlamps in the year 2016. It's as simple as that. If Mercedes-Benz is truly serious about living up to its unparalleled heritage and "the best or nothing" credo, then the bean counters need to stand down. Every Mercedes should come equipped with xenons, at minimum. This company lost a massive amount of goodwill during the Chrysler years and, while quality has improved, it's disappointing to see how much work remains to be done.
Ha, I think they missed part of the slogan. Pay extra for the best options or get nothing.
The following 2 users liked this post by sequins:
getto (04-21-2016), gfmohn (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 09:30 PM

No "secret sauce"

Originally Posted by rich88
I find that my active LED headlights are way too low. I had a C300 loaner with static LED and they were much better than my active ones. I asked my dealer to adjust my active LEDs higher for me but he says that they automatically adjust according to the amount of light and there's no way to aim them higher. However, the static ones could be adjusted.

I see that you're able to get your dealer to do it for you. Did you know how they did it? I was wondering if there is an instruction online somewhere that I could bring to my dealer to get them adjusted. It's way too low right now...
I guess some dealers are more knowledgeable and/or more cooperative than others. As for finding instructions online, that is doing your dealer's job. It is barely possible that Canadian lights differ from U.S. lights. This seems unlikely. So you can hint to your dealer that you are not buying it. Then, you can get another opinion at another dealer (or independent shop), of which you have several in Vancouver. Failing that, you can call your regional distributor.

Now would be a good time to join your Mercedes-Benz Club of Canada! Get a discount on your next Mercedes! See my Signature below for my appreciation of the discount from the Mercedes-Benz Club of America.
The following users liked this post:
rich88 (04-21-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 10:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 4Matic
I went to the dealer with a friend, they said, ILS cannot be adjusted. How did you guys manage that?

Any Service Code for adjustments?
Old 05-06-2016, 07:21 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by jamespaul
I went to the dealer with a friend, they said, ILS cannot be adjusted. How did you guys manage that?

Any Service Code for adjustments?
ain't gonna happen in NY.

dealers are way too busy to fix such minor issues.

at my dealer, there's a 1.5 week wait whenever i want to schedule for service, LOL.

NY gotta be one of the most unwilling places to help. Even NJ people are much nicer.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:57 AM

2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by NYbenzzz
ain't gonna happen in NY.

dealers are way too busy to fix such minor issues.

at my dealer, there's a 1.5 week wait whenever i want to schedule for service, LOL.

NY gotta be one of the most unwilling places to help. Even NJ people are much nicer.
try going to MB of white plains, they are great, got my car there

they'll fix anything, I complaint about a SLIGHT pulsation while braking and they replaced all rotors and pads. same with my dealer in MA, they replace anything you complain about - I'm sure its so they get good reviews and don't have to deal with the hassle of a customer that keeps complaining
Old 05-06-2016, 11:03 PM

Thumbs up Escape From New York

Originally Posted by jamespaul
I went to the dealer with a friend, they said, ILS cannot be adjusted. How did you guys manage that? ...
Originally Posted by NYbenzzz
ain't gonna happen in NY. Dealers are way too busy to fix such minor issues. At my dealer, there's a 1.5 week wait whenever i want to schedule for service, LOL.
Originally Posted by topsider
try going to MB of white plains, they are great, got my car there. They'll fix anything, I complaint about a SLIGHT pulsation while braking and they replaced all rotors and pads. same with my dealer in MA, they replace anything you complain about - I'm sure its so they get good reviews and don't have to deal with the hassle of a customer that keeps complaining
I think NYbenzzz and Topsider have identified your problem. My prejudices from growing up in upstate NY make me automatically suspect that "ILS cannot be adjusted" is just a "City" way of telling you "We're too busy" (see above comment by NYbenzzz) or "There isn't enough money in it for us." If you hint that you will find another dealer and they don't mind, they know you won't find satisfaction anywhere else. My experience with my dealer in Massachusetts backs up what Topsider says about his Massachusetts dealer. (We do not have the same dealer.)

In the meantime, you can try going over your dealer's head to corporate. Before you do that, how do your lights look in manual mode? Have you ever had them out of automatic mode? (No reason why you would, in normal driving.) Are your high beams selected? The stalk has to be pushed forward for high beams to be activated, even in automatic mode. I have found that if I signal with the high beams, the lights remain in low beam only. In urban driving, it could be a long time before I noticed.