C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Multimedia Package Worth It?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C300, 2016 C300
Multimedia Package Worth It?

So I'm thinking about my next C. I'm in a 2014 w204 and my lease is coming up soon. Originally, my build was:

C300 4matic Sport
Black Ash wood
Pano Roof
P2
Multimedia
Prepaid Maintenance

I was looking at the options that I wanted and I defaulted to wanting to include the multimedia package since it upgraded the entertainment system on the w204. However, looking at it closer, the multimedia package now only includes the COMAND navi a review camera, map updates, voice control, and sirius xm weather and traffic. Taking the multimedia out of the equation:

C300 4matic Sport
Black Ash wood
Pano Roof
P2
Garmin Map Pilot
Drivers Assistance Pkg
Rear view Cam

My question is: is the multimedia package really worth it? IMHO, it looks like the only value added is the COMAND navi, all of the other infotainment system menus look exactly the same with multimedia or without. I've had a garmin system in my Jeep Grand Cherokee and it worked just fine. At the end of the day I'd rather have the Driver's Asst. Package as an option because it would add more value than just a larger screen, a proprietary MB nav system, voice control, and sirius traffic and weather. What do you guys think?
Old 03-31-2016, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
The issue is that the screen is so prominent and in your face every time you're in the car, I think the budget screen with the huge bezel will be an ongoing reminder of where you decided to go cheap. Drivers Assist is nice (I have pretty much every option except roller shades) but nothing in drivers assist is going to be staring you back in the face every day if you don't get it.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:38 PM

2014 C300, 2016 C300
Fair.... For me though, I'm trying to think about the amount of utility a larger screen and COMAND navi can give versus the amount of utility the driver's assistance package. From my perspective a larger screen and the COMAND doesn't warrant a ~2.7k pricetag when I can have useful passive and active safety systems for nearly the same price. The only reason I initially considered multimedia was because it gave me the upgraded infotainment and sound system in my 204... whereas now, the better sound system, LED lamps, and keyless go can be had by just getting the P2.

Besides the larger screen and COMAND navi, are there any other real differences?
Old 03-31-2016, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Get both. You deserve it. What's a couple grand over the life of your ownership experience?

Skip Sport if you're being pragmatic. Build the base car and do the 18" optional wheels. Still a sporty look. The front bumper still looks cool, the rear is almost the same except for the fake vents. Plus it rides nicer. Then load up on the toys!

Dump the prepaid maintenance. I always say if you want to ensure a crappy job, pay for it in advance.

To your question, you'd lose the navi, the music register, and the larger screen. If you plan to add the Garmin chip for $600 that graphic interface looks really terrible IMO. I'd rather have no navi at all. Have you seen what MapPilot looks like on the screen?

Last edited by Mike5215; 03-31-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:06 PM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E63S
I agree! the MM package is a must. I regret not getting it on my C450.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Mike5215

Get both. You deserve it. What's a couple grand over the life of your ownership experience?
100% agree! The larger screen is HD and nice...plays DVDs too, and you get:

Rearview camera

COMAND hard-drive navigation with 8.4-inch screen

No-charge navigation map updates for 3 years

Voice control

SiriusXM Traffic and Weather with 5 years of service

Skip Sport if you're being pragmatic. Build the base car and do the 18" optional wheels. Still a sporty look. The front bumper still looks cool, the rear is almost the same except for the fake vents. Plus it rides nicer. Then load up on the toys!
I totally disagree. The base C300 rides like a boat compared to the sport suspension...the sport looks nicer too, and you get the cool flat bottom steering wheel.

Dump the prepaid maintenance. I always say if you want to ensure a crappy job, pay for it in advance.
Don't agree with this either...depends on how long you plan to keep the car. I only keep cars for 2 to 3 years, so since I'm new to Mercedes, I opted for only the two year pre-paid plan at only $725...so I'm good for up to 30,000 miles when I'll perform my own "A" service if I still have the car.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Yeah, I've spent too many years in S Class. To me the best riding C was a base car on 17". I got Air on my Sport and I've kept it on Comfort for the most part, although on Sport it doesn't feel a whole lot different.

I almost did a base on 18" since the option list was getting long and I didn't want to give anything up (another syndrome of S Class ownership) but in the end I said screw it and got everything anyway.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:47 AM

Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
i have no regret about NOT getting multimedia package, the standard 7" inches screen works fine for GPS. before that, i been using my phone for gps with even smaller screen, i have no problem with that.

what i regret is not having the Air Balance package, it' only 350$. that is nothing !
Old 04-01-2016, 08:56 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C300
command navi is GARBAGE.

media register is nice to have, but not a must.

the regular screen really cheapens an otherwise excellent interior. the bezels are like a first generation Palm pilot.........horrendous by today's standards.

sirius is garbage

sirius traffic is also garbage (compared to google maps on my phone).

ultimatelly, it is not worth it. but then again, what options are worth it on a benz anyways? our brand is all about doing it for the sake of doing it.

like.....who the heck needs an illuminated star for $550?

I DO! cuz it just looks.........NICE. LOL
Old 04-01-2016, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
So true. But better to have it and know its shortcomings than to not get it and regret it I guess. Really, just the big screen and Apple Car Play or the Android equivalent would have been ideal.

The navi so far has been fine the few times I've used it. I got the HUD so I wanted to see the navi stuff in the display. It is a lot of money though. If you're watching the budget and trying to keep the config under a certain dollar amount, MM is a fat target.

If you're a retarded S Class owner like me who has conditioned himself to think a car with a $60k MSRP is a bargain, I say load that lil sum***** up! I'd have gotten that star light but the Drivers Assist killed it. The radar unit is in the star or something.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E53 Coupe
Get both. COMAND Navi is great. The smaller screen and using your phone for navigation is "fine" as others have said, but do you really want only "fine" in your Mercedes. Every time I've driven a loaner with the smaller screen and no navigation, I'm very happy with my decision to go with COMAND.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
MM gives the Rearview Camera too, correct? In terms of driver assistance, that's really the only function I absolutely wanted. So, in light of that, the incremental cost is like $1,200...which is marginal on a $65K car. Guess it all depends on budget, though, as Mike said.

For me, I am pumped to have an on board navi and not have to constantly mess w my phone - MM display is at a perfect eye level for me to look over and catch the surrounding area (helpful when driving in a city), rather than needing to stare down at my phone (which usually is locked by the time I need to look at it). I have heard the vast majority of reviews of the COMAND Navi be positive, so I'll hold out hope it is. Google Maps and Waze both suck on traffic estimates, too, so that's a wash I guess.

Last edited by inhartwetrust; 04-01-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:15 AM

2014 C300, 2016 C300
All valid points. I have driven both models that have MM and ones that don't. Cars without the MM package can use Apply CarPlay and I don't know about you guys, but I am constantly using my phone in my car whether it is plugged in and charging or connected to bluetooth. So whether I use Apple Maps, or just bluetooth Google Maps, I think either one of those systems is vastly superior to COMAND NAV. But then again, I do love the screen real estate of the larger screen, it adds a lot to the aesthetics of the car. But....

The rearview camera is only $460 and the Garmin system for $600. Overall a cost of $1100. The MM package is $2690. An overall difference of 1590. Looking at the differences between the two, the only thing you're not going to be getting is obviously the bigger screen, COMAND nav, a hard drive register, and Sirius XM radio and traffic. Out of all of those, COMAND nav is probably what I would use the most. To check traffic/weather, I typically use Siri or Google Maps because when I did use XM in my w204, the traffic and weather were not that reliable. The hard drive register I hardly used.

All in all, I have two builds, the MSRP's for the one with MM ($52525) versus the one without ($53490), the difference is ~$900 but I have a bevy of safety features I think is well worth the option package...especially when you take into account the cost of accidents, even with insurance. The lease for both of these vehicles are essentially the same +/- $1-5 which is negligible. However, I just ran some numbers for a model with everything a la Mike5215 lol and the calculated lease price I difference is ~$20-25/mo, maintenance included. A total difference of less than a thousand...also negligible considering the overall ownership experience over the next three years. Tempting, tempting...
Old 04-01-2016, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I'm pretty sure the W205 doesn't get Apple Car Play or Android Auto. I asked about it on my build.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:48 AM

2014 C300, 2016 C300
Originally Posted by Mike5215
I'm pretty sure the W205 doesn't get Apple Car Play or Android Auto. I asked about it on my build.
I was just watching videos on it...was this a feature removed after MY15?
Old 04-01-2016, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I saw that video too... The one with the guy in a suit with a man bun... But it was just a demo. You may see it in 2017 in the 205 and maybe out of the gate in the new E, but I couldn't get it and my car was built two weeks ago.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:12 PM

Have read numerous complaints for no Apple in 2016s so was just going off that.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Yeah, it's taking longer than expected. Mercedes wants Apple to guarantee compatibility and reliability before they imbed the Car IOS software into COMAND, since Mercedes will be fielding the support calls if there are issues.

The system needs two elements. Apple Car IOS running on the manufacturers head unit, and obviously an iPhone running CarPlay. It needs CANBUS integration to access the car's Talk button and microphone for Siri Eyes Free.

Honestly I think the stripped down GUI is kind of bland and over simplified but the apps look cool when they're running.

Some vendor awhile back was taking preorders for a bogus retrofit Apple CarPlay module. When I started asking questions I got a text from someone telling me the guy was legit. I asked who he was and he said he was an MBWorld admin and if I didn't stop he'd ban me. (I'd called the company and that's how they had my cell number.)

The real admin wanted to kill the sponsorship but had no proof. I reverse indexed the number which got me a name and address. A Google search of the name produced a Linkdin profile which identified the guy as the CEO of the company. Then the admin killed the sponsorship and about three fake alias user IDs the guy was using to promote the product.

Good times, man.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:16 PM

2015 C300 W205
A No-Brain-er...

If you like great music, the multi-media pkg is a necessity,,, The sounds are so incredible.... so much that you will cringe at the lower quality music...

just my opinion, if you are a music lover... you would be insane not to have the MM package because the sound it produces is spectacular... Yeah, you can hear the notes on the standard system, but you can FEEL the notes on the MM system...

No need for any further discussion on this topic!!!
Old 04-02-2016, 09:31 PM

Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
what? I didn't know multimedia gives better sound. does washing my car gives better sounds too? haha
Old 04-02-2016, 09:36 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
c300
Originally Posted by NYbenzzz
command navi is GARBAGE.

media register is nice to have, but not a must.

the regular screen really cheapens an otherwise excellent interior. the bezels are like a first generation Palm pilot.........horrendous by today's standards.

sirius is garbage

sirius traffic is also garbage (compared to google maps on my phone).

ultimatelly, it is not worth it. but then again, what options are worth it on a benz anyways? our brand is all about doing it for the sake of doing it.

like.....who the heck needs an illuminated star for $550?

I DO! cuz it just looks.........NICE. LOL

You could find one on Amazon for $50. Seriously.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by whelland
If you like great music, the multi-media pkg is a necessity,,, The sounds are so incredible.... so much that you will cringe at the lower quality music...

just my opinion, if you are a music lover... you would be insane not to have the MM package because the sound it produces is spectacular... Yeah, you can hear the notes on the standard system, but you can FEEL the notes on the MM system...

The MM package is decoupled from the premium audio Burmester system. All you need is the Burmester, which I believe used to be a part of the Premium package but now can be ordered independently. But yeah, the standard Audio20 is pretty abysmal unless all you listen to is talk radio.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:50 PM

2014 C300, 2016 C300
Originally Posted by whelland

This was true for my current car. But with the new MY, like others have said, the Burmester system is available with the P2 package. The MM package gives a larger screen, a music register, back up cam, and Sirius subscription for 5 years....that's why my question was: is it really worth it because I can skip out on the larger screen get the Garmin Pilot, and add on the Drivers Asst Pkg, which imho provides more utility than a larger screen, Sirius subscription, etc.

That being said, I might just get all of them if the difference in the overall price is negligible over the lease term. I'll be going in this week to test drive a car outfitted with the Drivers Asst Pkg to make a determination whether or not it's worth it
Old 04-03-2016, 01:05 PM

With the hard drive that comes with the MM, can you store higher quality music files that would then produce a higher fidelity sound?
Old 04-03-2016, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
The thing that turned me off from the Garmin was how primitive the user interface is. It looks like the screen from a $200 Walmart stand alone unit (because essentially it is). Now if you're skipping the chip and use your phone for navi, then the other stuff I agree isn't substantial enough to warrant the cost. Although having that big thick bezel staring back reminding you of what you missed might be a downer once the novelty of the new car wears thin.

I will say I use the adaptive cruise and steering often, usually in every day slow traffic. Really there isn't an option other than Park assist that I have that I don't use and enjoy all the time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Multimedia Package Worth It?