C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C Class Headlights Get Poor Rating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2024, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 cab
I may have found the problem!

As I thought I had the intelligent lighting, I have always had my light switch on AUTO, though why they would put an auto on a FIXED lighting system I don't know, but when facing a wall,
I found that on auto in dark conditions the lights go dim, but when I switched them manually to dipped the lights go higher and brighter?
I haven't tried them out at night yet so fingers crossed I will have solved the problem.

Old 08-12-2024, 07:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,310 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Wraakian
As I thought I had the intelligent lighting, I have always had my light switch on AUTO, though why they would put an auto on a FIXED lighting system I don't know, but when facing a wall,
I found that on auto in dark conditions the lights go dim, but when I switched them manually to dipped the lights go higher and brighter?
I haven't tried them out at night yet so fingers crossed I will have solved the problem.

Good find
Old 08-12-2024, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 W205 C300 4 Matic
I have Halogens and I agree that they are not very good. High beams are good, but low beams are so so, slightly better than ancient sealed beams that were commonly used in the U.S.
The following users liked this post:
Wraakian (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,634 Posts
2019 C63CS
The AUTO headlight position is independent of the type of headlights you have. The primary function of AUTO is to automatically turn on the headlights when it gets dark. This feature uses the ambient light sensor and then turns on the headlights as it gets dark. There are other functions tied to the AUTO position with the Intelligent LEDs, but the basic function of AUTO is always to automatically turn them on. Not sure why they dim for you on AUTO. That doesn't seem normal.
Wraakian (08-12-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 cab
Yes, I don't understand it either. First the Mercedes engineer tells me I don't have Intelligent lighting, then I find have an AUTO button for my lights - would they put this on the car if it didn't have intelligent lighting? Then when I tried them on Auto in front of a wall in shade they dipped so dim that I wouldn't be able to see whilst driving at night? Crazy! I do have the LED High Performance lights however, but still not tried them out on dipped - as suggested in the manual - at night. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-13-2024, 08:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,310 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Yes, I don't understand it either. First the Mercedes engineer tells me I don't have Intelligent lighting, then I find have an AUTO button for my lights - would they put this on the car if it didn't have intelligent lighting? Then when I tried them on Auto in front of a wall in shade they dipped so dim that I wouldn't be able to see whilst driving at night? Crazy! I do have the LED High Performance lights however, but still not tried them out on dipped - as suggested in the manual - at night. Thanks for your help.
Yes they are right in terms of not having intelligent lighting, if it does, it will look different, superswiss' C 63 S coupe has intelligent light, you can see from his profile picture the differences of headlight styling compared to the LED high performance one
Wraakian (08-13-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,634 Posts
2019 C63CS
Starting to make more sense of this. I was trying to find information on these so-called High Performance LEDs. These are the new standard LED headlights of the facelift. Looks like in Europe they were introduced for 2018, whereas here in North America they were introduced for 2019. These are newer than anything we talked so far. The Intelligent LEDs no longer exist. They were replaced by the Multibeam LED headlights. I have the latter on my 2019 C63S Coupe. I found an old thread, link below. Maybe you can find some information in there.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...eadlights.html

Wraakian (08-13-2024)