C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Manual headrest stuck in c class w205

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 c220cdi 7g avangarde
Manual headrest stuck in c class w205

Hello,

I can't pull up headrest on driver seat. Is there easy way to fix or I have to go to my dealer? How to remove driver seat cover, are there any bolts, or just pull?
Old 04-10-2016, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
If it's manual adjustment and not electric the you just need to press on the little tab near the seat top where the headrest posts come out.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:04 PM

2015 c220cdi 7g avangarde
I know, I press little tab but headrest stuck in lowest position. I found on youtube video how to remove headrest on w204, you have to pull rear cover, but when I try to do that on w205 I heard plastic cracking, so I gave up.

I will take it to nearest dealership.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:29 AM

MB C w205
Hi,

I have the same problem. Do you know how to repair?
Old 05-27-2018, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W205 220 BlueTec
Hello,

Same problem, any ideas?
Old 05-27-2018, 03:28 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
c class
Because of airbag related shenanigans You shouldn’t be able to remove it if it’s a driver headrest, you gotta give it to the dealer.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W205 220 BlueTec
I mean it doesn't move at all. Stuck to the lowest setting. Help!
Old 08-27-2019, 03:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
C220 w205 2016
Originally Posted by Jallmari
I mean it doesn't move at all. Stuck to the lowest setting. Help!
Did you find out how to open these head rests? I have similar, also rattling with broken bits inside. Trying to figure how to pop out base at seam between metal bars.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:39 PM

C220 w205 2016
W205 headrest repair

So the main dealers said headrest not covered under used car warranty, and I didn't cop it till over two weeks from sale. Also said they were sealed and not repairable. If I'm going to have to buy a replacement, then might as well have a go at fixing the broken one, so here goes.
With a pick tool I managed to extract the leather flap end which is pressed into the base between the bars at the front underside.

Front edge of base flap.

Peel back. Repeat for corner and side folds which are similarly pressed into the internal frame.

Pop out side button, use flat tool.

Slide the frame out of the cushion

Remove two Torx screws, and split the case from the bottom, hinging on the top, there are two click fit catches in the middle down a recess on the other side, you might have to prise these a little.

Bingo! Two loose springs and slides fell out, plus a few tiny bits of sheared plastic.

These it turns out are what retained the slides pressed against the springs under the bar. Not sure of its purpose, could be some kind of one use anti whiplash brake on the bars.

The plastic retaining lugs for this spring are also almost fully broken off, allowing the spring to rise up.

With the spring removed you can see the lug hooks hanging off.

The small broken pieces came from here, which would retain the two slide pieces against spring pressure held in the area above against the round protrusion. The other end of the slide was also retained by even smaller pin size pieces of plastic moulded on that protrusion which had broken off.
These slide devices seem to rub against the bars as you move the headrest fore and aft. With the retainers broken, the slides seem to wedge the bars under pressure from the spring, which may fall out leaving the slide loose and rattling against the frame.
I've glued a small crossbar of wire to replace the other hinge spring retainers, and I think I'll just glue the two slides in position without the springs, whatever their function was is not clear, but I'm guessing some kind of whiplash inhibitor. I'll post more tomorrow on reassembly.

here's the small wire hot glued in position to retain the lever spring.

Last edited by Tom Farrell; 05-01-2020 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Add image
The following users liked this post:
Coffee_break (08-29-2019)
Old 04-30-2020, 06:08 PM

c250 (s205)
Originally Posted by Jallmari
Hello,

Same problem, any ideas?
i am also struggeling with this.... on both front seats. Is it a fix i can do, or do i i have to go to a dealer?
Old 05-01-2020, 04:39 AM

C220 w205 2016
Originally Posted by Matz c250
i am also struggeling with this.... on both front seats. Is it a fix i can do, or do i i have to go to a dealer?
Dealer will just sell you several hundred bucks worth of new headrest, and tell you the old ones are not repairable. Hence, I fixed my own. It's fiddly, but I managed it, and I didn't have any pics. There's a couple of springs I left out, as the plastic retainers were broken and I guessed glue wouldn't cut it. I refer to the two springs pretensions against the sliders, I think these are some kind of one use impact breakaway mechanism. It's these that jam the headrest. I just got rid. Have a go, it's DIYable.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:32 AM

c250 (s205)
Originally Posted by Tom Farrell
Dealer will just sell you several hundred bucks worth of new headrest, and tell you the old ones are not repairable. Hence, I fixed my own. It's fiddly, but I managed it, and I didn't have any pics. There's a couple of springs I left out, as the plastic retainers were broken and I guessed glue wouldn't cut it. I refer to the two springs pretensions against the sliders, I think these are some kind of one use impact breakaway mechanism. It's these that jam the headrest. I just got rid. Have a go, it's DIYable.
​​​​​

Thanks for your quick answer😊
I am not sure if we are discussing the same problem. Its not the sliding function but the up and down move thats stuck. The metal feather is not movable, and parts protecting it is plastic so until now i haven't used to much force, i rather not brake it. Seems like the headrest has been pushed to far down?!

This part i am trying to push is stuck..
Old 05-01-2020, 07:31 AM

C220 w205 2016
Originally Posted by Matz c250
​​​​​

Thanks for your quick answer😊
I am not sure if we are discussing the same problem. Its not the sliding function but the up and down move thats stuck. The metal feather is not movable, and parts protecting it is plastic so until now i haven't used to much force, i rather not brake it. Seems like the headrest has been pushed to far down?!

This part i am trying to push is stuck..
Sorry . I see that's the bsr/leg into the seat. That lever releases a metal latch from the indents in the headrest legs. It's connected to both sides under the leather. If the rest is too far down the latch will already be moved out of the last indent, so the plastic tab won't press in any further. Did you try a bit of decent pressure upwards on the rest, maybe on the centre, then at each leg alternately. You want to raise the legs sufficiently to engage the latch with the first indent. You can see in your image that the metal latch is fully extended right of the leg, not engaged in an indent, but against the side of the bar. Try that first, see if one or both legs is free to move up a bit.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:13 PM

2017 Mercedes C300
FIXED!!!!

Sorry . I see that's the bsr/leg into the seat. That lever releases a metal latch from the indents in the headrest legs. It's connected to both sides under the leather. If the rest is too far down the latch will already be moved out of the last indent, so the plastic tab won't press in any further. Did you try a bit of decent pressure upwards on the rest, maybe on the centre, then at each leg alternately. You want to raise the legs sufficiently to engage the latch with the first indent. You can see in your image that the metal latch is fully extended right of the leg, not engaged in an indent, but against the side of the bar. Try that first, see if one or both legs is free to move up a bit.
My 2015 C300 passenger side headrest also had a rattle and it was stuck at its lowest. I’ve definitely gave it a few hits in the center and sides to try to loosen. No budges!!

As of 05/01/2020, the trick is to move the seat all the way forward and tilt it back just enough to mimic you giving the headrest a chokehold from the rear. While doing this, hold down the release and yank that sucker out!

Super easy to take apart and remove all the broken components. I used a bit of force to get the first flap off, it’s pretty durable! Follow this video:

As for the side button. I used a flat head to pop it off! Suggest go in from inside to push out one edge and then use a flat surface like a forks leg from the outside to pry out. If you have a rattle, no need to be afraid of pressure. It’s already broken!

Lastly, I put about three folded paper towels down in the insides. Didn’t want to risk any more movement.

Mission success!! Be well y’all!’

Last edited by Anthony 312; 05-02-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:53 PM

2015 mercedes benz c200L
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Anthony 312
My 2015 C300 passenger side headrest also had a rattle and it was stuck at its lowest. I’ve definitely gave it a few hits in the center and sides to try to loosen. No budges!!

As of 05/01/2020, the trick is to move the seat all the way forward and tilt it back just enough to mimic you giving the headrest a chokehold from the rear. While doing this, hold down the release and yank that sucker out!

Super easy to take apart and remove all the broken components. I used a bit of force to get the first flap off, it’s pretty durable! Follow this video: https://youtu.be/lozjxjssq1U

As for the side button. I used a flat head to pop it off! Suggest go in from inside to push out one edge and then use a flat surface like a forks leg from the outside to pry out. If you have a rattle, no need to be afraid of pressure. It’s already broken!

Lastly, I put about three folded paper towels down in the insides. Didn’t want to risk any more movement.

Did exactly what you said, put the headrest in a chokehold position and yanked it out. Thank You!
Old 10-24-2020, 05:08 PM

Mercedes C200 2016
Originally Posted by Anthony 312

Super easy to take apart and remove all the broken components. I used a bit of force to get the first flap off, it’s pretty durable! Follow this video: https://youtu.be/lozjxjssq1U

Can you please explain how did you pop out the side button? I have been trying for 3 days with no luck.
would you mind sharing a video of it ?
Old 04-14-2021, 02:03 PM

2016 W205 C200 Exclusive
Originally Posted by Abdullah Fahad
Can you please explain how did you pop out the side button? I have been trying for 3 days with no luck.
would you mind sharing a video of it ?
I was able to DIY this as well using the photo manual.
The side button is definitely very fiddely to get out, but I eventually got it out using both a butterknife, flathead and some force. Same problem here when opening the headrest; some plastic bits and springs falling out.
I was able to fix the legs of the large spring in place with 2 smal wood screws on each leg, locking it in place. Even though the plastic bits that are supposed to hold in place the smaller springs with the plastic pieces that push on the bar were broken, the springs and plastic pieces stayed in place.

The head rest now works as new again.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C300 4Matic
Red face Thank you Tom!

So the main dealers said headrest not covered under used car warranty, and I didn't cop it till over two weeks from sale. Also said they were sealed and not repairable. If I'm going to have to buy a replacement, then might as well have a go at fixing the broken one, so here goes.
With a pick tool I managed to extract the leather flap end which is pressed into the base between the bars at the front underside.

Front edge of base flap.

Peel back. Repeat for corner and side folds which are similarly pressed into the internal frame.

Pop out side button, use flat tool.

Slide the frame out of the cushion

Remove two Torx screws, and split the case from the bottom, hinging on the top, there are two click fit catches in the middle down a recess on the other side, you might have to prise these a little.

Bingo! Two loose springs and slides fell out, plus a few tiny bits of sheared plastic.

These it turns out are what retained the slides pressed against the springs under the bar. Not sure of its purpose, could be some kind of one use anti whiplash brake on the bars.

The plastic retaining lugs for this spring are also almost fully broken off, allowing the spring to rise up.

With the spring removed you can see the lug hooks hanging off.

The small broken pieces came from here, which would retain the two slide pieces against spring pressure held in the area above against the round protrusion. The other end of the slide was also retained by even smaller pin size pieces of plastic moulded on that protrusion which had broken off.
These slide devices seem to rub against the bars as you move the headrest fore and aft. With the retainers broken, the slides seem to wedge the bars under pressure from the spring, which may fall out leaving the slide loose and rattling against the frame.
I've glued a small crossbar of wire to replace the other hinge spring retainers, and I think I'll just glue the two slides in position without the springs, whatever their function was is not clear, but I'm guessing some kind of whiplash inhibitor. I'll post more tomorrow on reassembly.

here's the small wire hot glued in position to retain the lever spring.
My passenger headrest was a bad as a baby rattle. Thanks to your pix, I was able to disassemble the headrest and found that one of the metal springs and two small broken bits of plastic were loose inside the plastic housing. This hollow housing actually helps to amplify the rattling of metal and plastic bits. So I removed the broken bits and but everything back together. No more rattle.