C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Something Funny Happened to My Driver Assistance (DA) Function...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2016 | 01:46 PM

2016 C300
Something Funny Happened to My Driver Assistance (DA) Function...

This is kind of weird...

So, we were on the freeway using Distronic following the car (car A) in front of us
- Distronic following distance was set at maximum, plenty of space between us and car A
- Speed was approximately 65mph
- ILS was set to on. However, there were lots of cars around us, plus this section of the freeway is always extremely well lit (so well lit you could drive without the headlights on at all if you really wanted to). In other words, ILS had the lights set at low beam and no chance for it to turn itself on given how well lit the whole area is and all the vehicles around us.

Now, some car (car B) started to cut in, between us and car A, but since there was a fairly long distance between us and car A, car B had plenty of room and there was still quite a bit of distance between us and car B.

However, our C300's DA did not like this scenario at all. Our Distronic started to slow our car down (reasonable reaction) with very slight braking action, beeped at me (also reasonable reaction to get my attention)...

Here comes the fun part - Our C300 automatically flashed high beam at the car B.

I originally thought it was my imagination but I definitely saw the blue high-beam indicator go on and off on the dashboard. My wife, in the passenger seat, also saw both the actual high beam flash and the blue indicator on/off.

In summary, our C300's DA behaved like an actual driver, braking and flashing high beam at the car that cut us off. I laughed so hard. The only thing that was missing was for our car to give the middle finger to car B.

To be honest, it wasn't a close call at all and I thought car B's driving was still reasonably safe, given there was so much distance between all cars.

I did enjoy the car driving itself like a human and laughed all the way home.

I wonder if other people have experienced the same behavior with their W205...

Last edited by JediNinja; 05-23-2016 at 02:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JediNinja:
FunkTron (05-23-2016), rich88 (05-24-2016)