C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Is it worth it???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 4matic
If it will make his driving experience better then why not. When his lease is up he could just sell most of the aftermarket parts... besides, if he likes the hyundai more that's his personal opinion, you can't sh*t on someone for that
The following users liked this post:
NYCSoiL (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 11:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

NYCSoiL (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 11:23 AM

NYCSoiL (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 11:27 AM

I work for Hyundai drive a Genesis and just bought my daughter a c300 and there is a lot of truth in Hyundai having a much better put together car than a benz. I rather drive the Genesis 2014 old body style then the c. The new 2015 is not even in the same class.
NYCSoiL (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
I'm only in my 50's so not quite ready for my Korean S-Class clone/barge yet. But in thirty years, definitely a contender.

Agree the new Hyundai isn't in the same class though.

So why'd you put your daughter in the inferiorly built Benz if you work at Hyundai? Not that concerned for her safety?

Last edited by Mike5215; 05-29-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mike5215
I'm only in my 50's so not quite ready for my Korean S-Class clone/barge yet. But in thirty years, definitely a contender.

Agree the new Hyundai isn't in the same class though.

So why'd you put your daughter in the inferiorly built Benz if you work at Hyundai? Not that concerned for her safety?
Both cars are safe and do well in crash tests so no worries there. The wanted a c she got a c but go out and drive the new Genesis and you will be very pleasantly surprised. I am a car guy first and foremost so really don't care about the brand if the product is excellent.
NYCSoiL (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too many to list
Stop the temptation .
Old 05-29-2016, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I did drive the current gen Genesis and Equus. They seem so clearly designed to mimic the S Class in so many small details, but on the road they felt very softly sprung and wallowy. Like a RWD Avalon or an old full frame Buick or Cadillac. I think if I hadn't come from a string of consecutive S Class I might have liked them more, but I really didn't like them at all.

I recently watched a long form video review of the next gen Equus, which is a good looking car but clearly a blatant 222 clone. The review was in Korean, so the only English phrase I could understand was "S Class". Every time they showed a feature on the Equus it was "gobbledygook gobbledygook S CLASS! gobbledygook S CLASS!!" If it was a drinking game I'd have required hospitalization.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
I did drive the current gen Genesis and Equus. They seem so clearly designed to mimic the S Class in so many small details, but on the road they felt very softly sprung and wallowy. Like a RWD Avalon or an old full frame Buick or Cadillac. I think if I hadn't come from a string of consecutive S Class I might have liked them more, but I really didn't like them at all.

I recently watched a long form video review of the next gen Equus, which is a good looking car but clearly a blatant 222 clone. The review was in Korean, so the only English phrase I could understand was "S Class". Every time they showed a feature on the Equus it was "gobbledygook gobbledygook S CLASS! gobbledygook S CLASS!!" If it was a drinking game I'd have required hospitalization.
It's sad that you can't see further than a star badge on the hood of your car. Be open minded even if you are in your 50's
Old 05-29-2016, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Arthrodesis
Stop the temptation .
Your insecurities talking...
New Genesis is a much better put together car then a c. I have the wind noise and the creaks and cracks by the windows. This is my third c class had both an 07 and 10 that were put together much better. And I am not even going to talk about the info system what a joke in a 50 thousand dollars car.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:16 PM

That's the old equus that's been around for 5 years. The one I posted above is the new one.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
It's sad that you can't see further than a star badge on the hood of your car. Be open minded even if you are in your 50's
No, it's not sad. It just is. Obviously if I took the time to test drive the two Hyundais I was open to getting a new brand new Hyundai rather than another used S Class for the same money. The cars just didn't cut it.

Actually, the Korean car I most liked was the Kia Cadenza. At least it wasn't trying to be something else. Came very close but in the end I couldn't get past the FWD.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:58 PM

Too many to list
Originally Posted by SEBZX79
Your insecurities talking...
New Genesis is a much better put together car then a c. I have the wind noise and the creaks and cracks by the windows. This is my third c class had both an 07 and 10 that were put together much better. And I am not even going to talk about the info system what a joke in a 50 thousand dollars car.
No insecurities. This is my first c class. I am on the amg pl quite often. I don't need to list my cars, I'm not here to brag.

But my c is my DD, and I did look at the Genesis . But there was no way in hell I could park a Hyundai next to my colleagues M6 at our hospital physicians lot.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Originally Posted by Arthrodesis
No insecurities. This is my first c class. I am on the amg pl quite often. I don't need to list my cars, I'm not here to brag.

But my c is my DD, and I did look at the Genesis . But there was no way in hell I could park a Hyundai next to my colleagues M6 at our hospital physicians lot.
Yup, it's always comes to who's got a bigger D.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:11 PM

Too many to list
Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
Yup, it's always comes to who's got a bigger D.

I did test drive a Genesis sedan v8 5.0 , it was just horrible IMO. The interior felt really cheap. I'm sure it's a fine vehicle for some people, but just not for me.

If the performance was better, I might have considered it, well not really lol. But it's so damn slow for a v8.

To be honest, after owning MB, Audi, and even Lexus. I cannot pull myself to own a Hyundai .
Old 05-29-2016, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I'm in the opposite boat. We happen to own probably the only kind of business where a flashy car sends the wrong message to the customers, so the Hyundai would have fit the bill in that respect. The last car I owned before my first S was a Pontiac GTO. Great car, 400hp, manual 6 speed, and nobody blinked at it.

No, my decision on the Hyundais were based entirely on the car's merits. Had they really been as good as the Benz but for less than 2/3rds the money, been stealthy to my customers and cheaper to operate and insure,I'd have been all over it.

I didn't think they looked bad, in or out, although the LCD screen res and graphics were a decade out of date and the execution of the electronics was clunky, but I really just hated the way they drove.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:02 PM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Why do so many people here continue to drive a car that you hate so much? Spend a little money and get out of the car. Moreover, why do you come to a message board for a car you hate?
Old 05-29-2016, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by inhartwetrust
Why do so many people here continue to drive a car that you hate so much? Spend a little money and get out of the car. Moreover, why do you come to a message board for a car you hate?
Bought it for the wrong reasons, failed to pay attention on the test drive, got upside down on the financing. I've been guilty of all three but I'm bright enough to stay off the car's boards and get out as quickly and with as little pain as possible. Nobody on an enthusiasts forum cares that you screwed up and bought the wrong car.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C180
It's really thin sounding. Honestly even the Burmester has some room for improvement, but it's a big step up from the Audio 20.

I had a loaner with the Audio 20 and I was able to get a big improvement using my IPhone as a source and the EQu app by Elephant Candy (2.99).

Without some EQ it's tough to get decent sound out of it. Four 4" midrange, no tweeters and one 8" shallow mount sub. Not much to work with.
I have heard in other forums that u can change the front speakers with a Focal brand speakers, maybe that helps anyway!
Old 05-29-2016, 11:00 PM

Bought it for the wrong reasons, failed to pay attention on the test drive, got upside down on the financing. I've been guilty of all three but I'm bright enough to stay off the car's boards and get out as quickly and with as little pain as possible. Nobody on an enthusiasts forum cares that you screwed up and bought the wrong car.
I lease all my cars so no big deal plus my daughter likes it because it's a MB. Personally I love the styling inside and out but the execution has really fallen short.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Good looking C. I'm sure she's thrilled, although Hyundai makes some cool, inexpensive, youth oriented cars. Is she rebelling?

So by execution you mean you've had issues with the C's equipment not functioning correctly? Drive train issues? What's going on with it?
Old 05-29-2016, 11:57 PM

Infotainment system is a joke I am in a car biz and it's one of the worse. I can't belive i can't speak to dial with p2 package. All that is available on a 18k dollar cars. The wind noise by side windows is way too high and the creaking of the side doors is unacceptable. Engine is fine but could use a little more refinement along with some of the plastic pieces inside should be secured a little better. Sticker was 49k and if I had to pay retail it would be hard to swallow. I was thinking of getting one for my self as well when I first got it for her but that has changed and I will be replacing 14 Genesis with 16 Genesis ultimate awd.
My daughter loves the car and being young and it being her first car she does not see any of the imperfections.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300W4
You get voice dial and control with the multimedia package.

Regarding all the complaints about wind noise and rattles or creaks: yes it's true sometimes I might hear a few creaks on bumps or on windy days I hear the cross winds when on the highway etc. BUT after 11 months of driving I was doing some car shopping /test drives with one of my buddies. Rode in cars like Hyundai Sonatas, Honda Accords, CR-V's, Volkswagens etc. HOLY MOLY they are loud in comparison. Road noise is louder, running engine is louder, vibrations are more evident etc. The Mercedes C is a very quiet car in comparison - which is very impressive for a 4 cylinder engine (which typically vibrate and are louder than 6 cylinders).
Old 05-30-2016, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by SEBZX79
Infotainment system is a joke I am in a car biz and it's one of the worse. I can't belive i can't speak to dial with p2 package. All that is available on a 18k dollar cars. The wind noise by side windows is way too high and the creaking of the side doors is unacceptable. Engine is fine but could use a little more refinement along with some of the plastic pieces inside should be secured a little better. Sticker was 49k and if I had to pay retail it would be hard to swallow. I was thinking of getting one for my self as well when I first got it for her but that has changed and I will be replacing 14 Genesis with 16 Genesis ultimate awd.
My daughter loves the car and being young and it being her first car she does not see any of the imperfections.
Yeah, although they base for exactly the same $38k, I can pretty much guarantee nobody is cross shopping the C for the Hyundai um...Anything. Certainly not the much larger, heavier Genesis, which has a bit of a geriatric vibe. It's not surprising that the C didn't appeal to you in the same way your daughter didn't want a Hyundai. It's not that she doesn't "see" imperfections. She doesn't perceive the things you perceive to be imperfections as imperfections at all. Smart kid. Sounds like it worked out for the best all around.
aambulo (05-31-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jadis
You get voice dial and control with the multimedia package.
I know that but it's just ridiculous it's a 50k car should be standard same thing with a backup camera.
People cross shop the E the 5 series and A6 against the Genesis all the time and we get enough converts that want more for less with the Genesis. If your set on the badge then buy the merc it is a fine car that leaves much to be desired in a few areas.
NYCSoiL (05-30-2016)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it worth it???