C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

And now a water leak...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2016 | 09:08 AM

C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
S205 tailgate ; And now a water leak...

This car really is the gift that keeps on giving...

This months new (repeat defects don't count).. defect is a wet boot...
After a pretty good storm this weekend (300mm rain in 24hrs)... Went to load up the car for the working week and notice water on the boot roller cover.. Wierd... Dry that off and search around.. Water all around the bottom of the rear hatch door .. Check the weather strip.. All good... Silicone it back on just in case...
Start tracking water to the back hatch inner trim.. And finally after stripping the rear hatch up to the spoiler...

Root cause... Klaus couldn't be arsed fitting all the retaining clips in the spoiler (should be 3, mine is missing the middle one..) leaving a hole in the rear hatch door through which moisture could enter...

I patched the hole while I try and source the correct slip through the dealer...

Oh and yes the rear door is a good candidate for dynamat however the largest plastic panel does have sound proofing on it (soft)...

Ironically it's due its first service in a week.. Couldn't wait could it...
Attached Thumbnails And now a water leak...-img_1506.jpg   And now a water leak...-img_1508.jpg   And now a water leak...-img_1507.jpg   And now a water leak...-img_1511.jpg   And now a water leak...-img_1523.jpg  

Last edited by Shadwell; 06-05-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-05-2016 | 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by Shadwell
This car really is the gift that keeps on giving...

This months new (repeat defects don't count).. defect is a wet boot...
After a pretty good storm this weekend (300mm rain in 24hrs)... Went to load up the car for the working week and notice water on the boot roller cover.. Wierd... Dry that off and search around.. Water all around the bottom of the rear hatch door .. Check the weather strip.. All good... Silicone it back on just in case...
Start tracking water to the back hatch inner trim.. And finally after stripping the rear hatch up to the spoiler...

Root cause... Klaus couldn't be arsed fitting all the retaining clips in the spoiler (should be 3, mine is missing the middle one..) leaving a hole in the rear hatch door through which moisture could enter...

I patched the hole while I try and source the correct slip through the dealer...

Oh and yes the rear door is a good candidate for dynamat however the largest plastic panel does have sound proofing on it (soft)...

Ironically it's due its first service in a week.. Couldn't wait could it...
That's really interesting because I've had water on the roller cover, just once right near the middle and I was totally perplexed how that could have happened. Not had it since but I may take a look at the interior of the spoiler clip you mention now. I pulled a little of the interior plastic away which exposed some wiring for the rear screen but couldn't immediately identify any holes.

Do you have photos of the offending area so I can compare?

Last edited by ManiacGT; 06-05-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-05-2016 | 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well that's an hour of my life I won't get back. So I went out and prized the interior trim away, I could only get the trim at the top of the window away, the sides wouldn't budge. This resulted in a nice kink in the plastic anyhow while looking I noted in the middle a large rubber grommet that didn't look super secure, the moment I touched it, it dropped inside the cavity. FFS!

It took a lot of time and effort using my fingertip to get the grommet back near the edge where I reached it (after it fell back inside several times) with tweezers and was able to put the grommet back in place.

Quite stressful working in such a tiny space. Hopefully that's solved the tiny one off leak I had. Albeit I wait overnight to see if the plastic trim kink subsides with the heat.

Last edited by ManiacGT; 06-05-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-05-2016 | 05:02 PM

I have just been out to take pics of the cars trims which I have not yet refitted, and the door inner appeture as best I can as its rift between the end of the car and garage door....

It helps massively to have plastic trim removal tools.... Metal one ok BUT easy to mark the car....

The rear hatch door handles have what look like a hook for hanging things off Moulded in... Pull on this section directly away from the door inner skin or toward inside of car IF the door were closed...
When they slide out (not easy), the lower trim can then be prized carefully away from the rear door.. Plastic clips around the perimeter and 2 connector cables, rear light and hatch open button assembly.
Now the Center section same way, prize away from door inner skin make your way around... There are also a number in the Center of this panel .. Use plastic trim tool to prize these away as you ease the outer edge of the trim piece away for the panel...
The upper most trim has clips in its side and upper edge, do the side toward the centreline of the car. THEN do the ones across the top toward the bottom of the door...
DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING TOO HARD, they are strong but not hang off them strong...
Pics to follow when I get to PC...

The rear spoiler is held on with 4 10mm fasteners, supposedly 3 tan plastic clips, and a triangle of 3m VHB tape at the outer edges. When removing, electrical connectors first, 4 fastners , then 3 clips (needle nose pliars through small inner skin appeture saves these clips)... Then ease the spoiler back and forth to break the VHB bond... With the back door fully open and a towell across the car roof in case it's dropped....

Last edited by Shadwell; 06-05-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-05-2016 | 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thankfully the heat today has allowed the plastic to take its original shape and there's very little indication anything was moved. The seal is back in place so hopefully I won't see the leak again, unless I'm looking at a totally different issue to you. I don't see any holes that could allow water through now the grommet is back in place.
Old 06-05-2016 | 08:45 PM

[QUOTE= I don't see any holes that could allow water through now the grommet is back in place.[/QUOTE]

EXCUSE THE FEET IN THE IMAGES.. THEY HAVE HAD A HARD LIFE!!!

And there in is the issue, you can't "see" that this particular clip is not there UNTIL you remove the spoiler altogether.. its a blind hole in the center poistion only. The outers are visuble as per the attached pics..

I called the dealer and their grabbing the clip for me.. i'll be reassembling (with dynamat) to make sure its done correctly.. dealers attention to detail is not stellar..
Attached Thumbnails And now a water leak...-img_1519.jpg   And now a water leak...-img_1520.jpg   And now a water leak...-img_1521.jpg   And now a water leak...-img_1522.jpg   And now a water leak...-img_1523.jpg  

And now a water leak...-img_1525.jpg