C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C453: Taking Delivery/Mod Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 523 Posts
c
C453: Taking Delivery/Mod Thread

Hello,
I always do this, keep a running journal of my cars on forums. It may or may not be of interest but, here it is! The car is arriving today or tomorrow and I will probably go sign for it Monday. Stay tuned for pictures.
  • Currently drive a 2013 Audi S4 and I haven't had a Mercedes Benz since I had my 2006 c230 Sport.
  • My current spec is a C450 in cardinal red with black ash wood/MB tex and 19-inch titanium multispokes.
  • I cannot wait any longer, nor am I buying the car - so I am taking delivery on the 450, rather than waiting for the 43. Calling it the C453.

My mods plans are simple for now, but I'm sure it will quickly grow.

I already have 4mm and 10mm spacers for the front and rear, respectively. I will be getting the windows tinted and I will debadge the car of it's front fenders and rear trunk lid. I will probably spray matte clear plastidip over the chrome bar on the trunk lid in an attempt to match the iridium diffuser. Also debating an intake - but nothing out yet. I may lower the car, but I haven't made it that far yet.
The following users liked this post:
g8rgrl (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 01:04 PM

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts
2018 E63, 2008 SLR DH, 2011 599 SA, 1995 F50, 2007 through 2011 GT3 RS
Originally Posted by alexasa
Hello,
I always do this, keep a running journal of my cars on forums. It may or may not be of interest but, here it is! The car is arriving today or tomorrow and I will probably go sign for it Monday. Stay tuned for pictures.
  • Currently drive a 2013 Audi S4 and I haven't had a Mercedes Benz since I had my 2006 c230 Sport.
  • My current spec is a C450 in cardinal red with black ash wood/MB tex and 19-inch titanium multispokes.
  • I cannot wait any longer, nor am I buying the car - so I am taking delivery on the 450, rather than waiting for the 43. Calling it the C453.

My mods plans are simple for now, but I'm sure it will quickly grow.

I already have 4mm and 10mm spacers for the front and rear, respectively. I will be getting the windows tinted and I will debadge the car of it's front fenders and rear trunk lid. I will probably spray matte clear plastidip over the chrome bar on the trunk lid in an attempt to match the iridium diffuser. Also debating an intake - but nothing out yet. I may lower the car, but I haven't made it that far yet.

Very nice and congrats! I agree with you about taking delivery now. I leased as well so as long as I got a great deal I didn't care if it was a C450 or C43.

I recommend the H&R springs and switching the Michelangelo pilot super sports if you can.
I have always had full on sports cars so even with the springs this car rides very smoothly for me. A great all around daily driver.
The tires also really help with the ride and handling. Changes the entire feel of the car.

Get the OE tuning ECU flash. Car feels, accelerates and shifts so much better.
I even am pretty sure it solved the first gear issue of coming to a stop and getting back on the gas and having no response from the transmission.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride!
alexasa (06-14-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by Sylvainsm
Very nice and congrats! I agree with you about taking delivery now. I leased as well so as long as I got a great deal I didn't care if it was a C450 or C43.

I recommend the H&R springs and switching the Michelangelo pilot super sports if you can.
I have always had full on sports cars so even with the springs this car rides very smoothly for me. A great all around daily driver.
The tires also really help with the ride and handling. Changes the entire feel of the car.

I even am pretty sure it solved the first gear issue of coming to a stop and getting back on the gas and having no response from the transmission.

Thanks man!

Always tempted to tune but never want the dealer to throw a fit and deny warranty or flag the car.

The springs are definitely on my list - whether that conceptualizes is another story.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Yeah be careful with an ECU tune. Newer MBs not only report the current tune, they report the flash count. That is, the number of times it's been flashed. So even if you restore the OEM tune before the service STAR may pick up that it's been tuned.

Should the ECU show a flash count that is higher than zero and the internal service history does not show that Mercedes service flashed it, instructions from MB to its techs is to stop all work on the car, and flag the VIN. It voids the drivetrain warranty.

If out of warranty anyway, tune away. Otherwise, if you happen to throw a rod or spin a bearing, or blow up a tranny, or a transfer case, you might be hosed.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E63S
Originally Posted by Sylvainsm

Can you fully confirm 100% that it gets rid of the dead pedal issue when attempting to reaccelerate from deceleration? If so, I am sold because that is by far my biggest disappointment for the C450 since day 1. I do a ton of city driving and the transmission response /dead pedal issue has greatly decreased my confidence in maneuvering myself when approaching busy intersections
Old 06-11-2016, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by Mike5215
Yeah be careful with an ECU tune. Newer MBs not only report the current tune, they report the flash count. That is, the number of times it's been flashed. So even if you restore the OEM tune before the service STAR may pick up that it's been tuned.

Should the ECU show a flash count that is higher than zero and the internal service history does not show that Mercedes service flashed it, instructions from MB to its techs is to stop all work on the car, and flag the VIN. It voids the drivetrain warranty.

If out of warranty anyway, tune away. Otherwise, if you happen to throw a rod or spin a bearing, or blow up a tranny, or a transfer case, you might be hosed.
In or out of warranty of it goes wrong it's at possible cost to you. Warranty just protects the unmodified bits.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:39 PM

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts
2018 E63, 2008 SLR DH, 2011 599 SA, 1995 F50, 2007 through 2011 GT3 RS
Originally Posted by tmoneyC450amg
Can you fully confirm 100% that it gets rid of the dead pedal issue when attempting to reaccelerate from deceleration? If so, I am sold because that is by far my biggest disappointment for the C450 since day 1. I do a ton of city driving and the transmission response /dead pedal issue has greatly decreased my confidence in maneuvering myself when approaching busy intersections
Look I can't confirm it 100% but I do about 30 miles a day of only city driving with this car and since the tune was installed 10 days ago it had maybe done it once.
Before the tune it was doing it maybe twice a day.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Salesmen sent me a pic. Picking it up tomorrow.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Car I'm saying goodbye to. Gonna miss it.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:06 PM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
The new ride look great man, congrats and enjoy it!
alexasa (06-14-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
^ Thank you!

And she is mine! Got a few freebies and a few additional discounts at the last minute.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
The 10mm spacers do not fit. Was really looking forward to slapping those on. It really needs a bit more offset in the rear.

I put the 4mm on there for now.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:12 PM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E63S
congrats! definitely one of the rarest of roses on the road.
alexasa (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 06:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Thanks! loving the color more than I thought I would.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Quick First Impressions of the Car and a Comparison to the S4:
  • C450 sounds fantastic.
  • C450 is gorgeous inside and out.
  • C450 transmission is not as simple as slamming the paddles and expecting it to behave perfectly - which I actually like. Downshifting should only be used when either breaking or with a foot on the gas to at least the degree of maintaining speed. Upshifting should only be done with at least some pressure on the gas pedal similar to that of downshifting. (this is manual mode shifting).
  • C450 sound system is not as good as the S4.
  • C450 standard seats are not as good as the S4.
  • C450 sounds miles better than the very subdued S4.
  • C450 interior material quality is better than the S4.
  • S4 interior is simpler/less busy than the C450.
  • S4 power was perfect for a DD.
  • C450 feels too fast for the urban atmosphere to fully wind it out.

That's all I can think of for now.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Making a few more observations.

Not sure if you are supposed to get the "Interior Package - Included with all Leather Upholsteries" with the MB tex seats, but I did.

I also noticed the center dash clock is now not a IWC branded clock face, it only has the MB logo small and at 12 o'clock. I heard people having issues with the IWC unit, so maybe they have done away with it? Which, it probably doesn't look as good, but may be more reliable?

and my thoughts on the transmission:

I understand why people have mixed reviews on the transmission. The transmission behaves exactly like a manual. For instance, you can't just plow through the gears in manual mode, you have to either be accelerating or decelerating for the shifts to be smooth. Definitely takes a bit of mastery, but once you get the hang of it it is more rewarding than traditional automatics.

I can see why people may not like that characteristic - so I believe the c43 with the 9 speed will a bit neutered down and more applicable for the masses. Right now, the transmission adds to the sportiness of the car.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:12 AM

Outside of the gear shifts, a car not being able to immediately accelerate after decelerating hardly "adds to the sportiness"...

Face it, it's a transmission that's aged and it's one of the very few shortcomings of the C450. It's a great car with an average transmission. It's not a bad transmission, just a mediocre one with some very minor issues.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by inhartwetrust
Outside of the gear shifts, a car not being able to immediately accelerate after decelerating hardly "adds to the sportiness"...

Face it, it's a transmission that's aged and it's one of the very few shortcomings of the C450. It's a great car with an average transmission. It's not a bad transmission, just a mediocre one with some very minor issues.
Just my opinion man.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to convey as well, because "Outside of the gear shifts, a car not being able to immediately accelerate after decelerating hardly 'adds to the sportiness'" does not make sense to me, nor is what I meant.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:23 AM

Just my opinion man.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to convey as well, because "Outside of the gear shifts, a car not being able to immediately accelerate after decelerating hardly 'adds to the sportiness'" does not make sense to me, nor is what I meant.
Just seemed like you were trying to take a short coming and find a way to rationalize it as something that makes the car more sporty bc it's a pain in the ***. To me, that's not necessary bc the C450 is a hell of a car regardless.

I fully expect the 9-speed to be a piece of **** too, for the record. 95% of all transmissions nowadays suck.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Just seemed like you were trying to take a short coming and find a way to rationalize it as something that makes the car more sporty bc it's a pain in the ***. To me, that's not necessary bc the C450 is a hell of a car regardless.

I fully expect the 9-speed to be a piece of **** too, for the record. 95% of all transmissions nowadays suck.
lol, let's hope not. Not really trying to rationalize. I am just stating that I am happy with the transmission despite people criticizing it.

I like the fact that it is a little quirky, I think it behaving more like a manual transmission suits the car. Maybe MB even had it in their mind that they wanted the programming and overall feel to be a bit more hardcore - but in return had negative feedback from it.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:44 AM

lol, let's hope not. Not really trying to rationalize. I am just stating that I am happy with the transmission despite people criticizing it.

I like the fact that it is a little quirky, I think it behaving more like a manual transmission suits the car. Maybe MB even had it in their mind that they wanted the programming and overall feel to be a bit more hardcore - but in return had negative feedback from it.
Very valid point, who knows what MB was thinking...very well could've been a good intention that backfired with the masses but will appeal to the true drivers Nonetheless, glad you're enjoying it. Everyday when I leave for the office in the morning I think "I should be driving my C450 today," instead I'm stuck waiting until friggin October for the C43
Old 06-15-2016, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Very valid point, who knows what MB was thinking...very well could've been a good intention that backfired with the masses but will appeal to the true drivers Nonetheless, glad you're enjoying it. Everyday when I leave for the office in the morning I think "I should be driving my C450 today," instead I'm stuck waiting until friggin October for the C43
I may be cray, I know.. lol

It's also the coupe though, which you would have to wait for anyways. If it were just a sedan order, maybe. Coupe is a very handsome car.

I would have waited too, but I had a deadline and I also have to have a car equipped with the driver assistance package to qualify for the incentive at work. This package would have increased the price of my car dramatically on the 43.