C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

First Road Trip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 270 Likes on 184 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
First Road Trip

With 8500 miles on the odometer, I finally got the chance to take my 16 C300 Sport 4matic on a cross country road trip. Below are some of my observations:

Comfort/noise - seats were comfortable throughout the trip. No back aches etc. I would rate the seats slightly below my previous Volvo which had the most comfortable seats of any car I have been in. Wind noise was almost nonexistent thanks to the acoustic class installation. Engine noise was noticeable but not intrusive. Tire road noise was acceptable. Ride was firm, which I like, but not rough on less than perfect roads (19 inch wheels with Conti All Season tires). Overall 8.5/10.

Acceleration - no issues while passing on 2 lane roads. Plenty of reserve power in Comfort mode. 9/10

Fuel economy - 28.2 into a 30 knot headwind normally cruising at 75 mph. On the return trip I got 31.2 with a slight tail wind again cruising at 75. Manually calculated mpg. 10/10

Distronic Plus - flawless performance. Slowed me down appropriately when I came up on slower moving traffic and accelerated smoothly when traffic was clear. 10/10

Steering Assist (lane keeping was turned off) - smoothly steered me through winding roads without issues. On long stretches of straight roads I felt like I was fighting the system at times as it corrected for cross winds or centered the car in the lane. Hey, sometimes I want to hug the line! lol. At the end of passing lanes the system aggressively turned to get into the single lane of traffic. 9/10

Transmission - shifted smoothly and rarely felt like it was in the wrong gear for what I was trying to do. 10/10

Navigation System - this was my first time actually using the system to get somewhere. I was going to rate it 6/10 based on initial use but as I learned to use it (intermediate points, etc) I raised it to 8/10. It worked well, the display is clear. Voice commands might be slightly less intrusive.

Trunk space - plenty of room for one set of golf clubs and small luggage for 2 people without folding down a seat back. 10/10

Displays - no issues with instrumentation. I would like the odometer displayed all the time no matter which screen I have selected. 9/10

Overall - I'm very happy with the vehicle and still smile every time I walk up to it!
Old 07-17-2016, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
I just did 20 hours of driving on a trip to Toronto and back. Very similar observations on the car: interior noise levels were fine, even without the acoustic glass up front; ride was firm but comfortable; navigation got me to several stops along the way with perfect precision; and my fuel economy for the entire trip was 31.3 mpg even with some heavy traffic getting through Montreal.

I also had a Volvo ... an S60 ... and found the seats on the C300 just about as good. The thing I did not like about the Volvo, was that the lumbar was only manually adjustable which made it almost impossible to adjust while driving.

Only negative was that when in the rear seat, a position I'm normally never in, I did notice vibration coming from the rear subwoofers mounted behind the rear seats. I'll have that looked at when I bring the car in for service.

Overall, I could not have asked for a better driving experience.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 180 Posts
Trek Bike
Originally Posted by Mikey53
With 8500 miles on the odometer, I finally got the chance to take my 16 C300 Sport 4matic on a cross country road trip. Below are some of my observations:

Comfort/noise - seats were comfortable throughout the trip. No back aches etc. I would rate the seats slightly below my previous Volvo which had the most comfortable seats of any car I have been in. Wind noise was almost nonexistent thanks to the acoustic class installation. Engine noise was noticeable but not intrusive. Tire road noise was acceptable. Ride was firm, which I like, but not rough on less than perfect roads (19 inch wheels with Conti All Season tires). Overall 8.5/10.

Acceleration - no issues while passing on 2 lane roads. Plenty of reserve power in Comfort mode. 9/10

Fuel economy - 28.2 into a 30 knot headwind normally cruising at 75 mph. On the return trip I got 31.2 with a slight tail wind again cruising at 75. Manually calculated mpg. 10/10

Distronic Plus - flawless performance. Slowed me down appropriately when I came up on slower moving traffic and accelerated smoothly when traffic was clear. 10/10

Steering Assist (lane keeping was turned off) - smoothly steered me through winding roads without issues. On long stretches of straight roads I felt like I was fighting the system at times as it corrected for cross winds or centered the car in the lane. Hey, sometimes I want to hug the line! lol. At the end of passing lanes the system aggressively turned to get into the single lane of traffic. 9/10

Transmission - shifted smoothly and rarely felt like it was in the wrong gear for what I was trying to do. 10/10

Navigation System - this was my first time actually using the system to get somewhere. I was going to rate it 6/10 based on initial use but as I learned to use it (intermediate points, etc) I raised it to 8/10. It worked well, the display is clear. Voice commands might be slightly less intrusive.

Trunk space - plenty of room for one set of golf clubs and small luggage for 2 people without folding down a seat back. 10/10

Displays - no issues with instrumentation. I would like the odometer displayed all the time no matter which screen I have selected. 9/10

Overall - I'm very happy with the vehicle and still smile every time I walk up to it!
Thanks for detailed report.
I would give 10/10 for handling in the rain: got into heavy rain on freeway and was impressed by 4matic keeping the car straight and no aqua planing .... Huge improvement over my previous RWD C class.....