C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

FYI - the black screen of death!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 08:30 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
FYI - the black screen of death!

When I started my C300 this afternoon, my COMAND screen was completely black! It had been working normally when I stopped the car. I assumed that COMAND had stopped working completely. I remembered all the horror stories I have read in this forum about problems with COMAND, and I started to panic. But we mustn't show fear in front of the women! Keep calm and carry on! I always try to have a Plan B, so I quickly remembered what I have read in this forum about resetting COMAND by holding down the disc eject button. That didn't work either! I had no Plan C.

But as Yogi Berra supposedly said, "You can observe a lot just by watching." I noticed that the heads-up display was cycling through "navigation initializing." That meant COMAND was doing something, but the screen was still black. I asked myself, how is the screen turned off when COMAND is running (and I can then do the opposite and turn the screen back on)? Aha, I remembered the COMAND "ON" button on the right side of the center console! The driver's view of that button is blocked by the touchpad, and I had never used that switch. (However, I had cycled through every button, menu, and screen when I first got the car. "Chance favors the prepared mind!" I had also warned my wife that modern cars are far more complicated than she is used to and that computer glitches are to be expected. So she was prepared, and as I was hunting for the "ON" button, she was feeling around the edge of the screen, looking for some button that might help.)

My wife had rested her purse on the edge of the center console. The purse must have been depressing the COMAND "ON" button at the moment I started the car and pushed the "ON" button to the "off" position. Remember this, if your COMAND screen ever goes black when you are carrying a passnger. And also remember (in case your COMAND system really does crash) that holding down the disc eject button will often reboot your COMAND system. (I certainly would not know about that second trick, except for reading MBWorld.) I also recommend that you warn your wife about the complexity of your modern Mercedes.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
c class
Originally Posted by gfmohn
When I started my C300 this afternoon, my COMAND screen was completely black! It had been working normally when I stopped the car. I assumed that COMAND had stopped working completely. I remembered all the horror stories I have read in this forum about problems with COMAND, and I started to panic. But we mustn't show fear in front of the women! Keep calm and carry on! I always try to have a Plan B, so I quickly remembered what I have read in this forum about resetting COMAND by holding down the disc eject button. That didn't work either! I had no Plan C.

But as Yogi Berra supposedly said, "You can observe a lot just by watching." I noticed that the heads-up display was cycling through "navigation initializing." That meant COMAND was doing something, but the screen was still black. I asked myself, how is the screen turned off when COMAND is running (and I can then do the opposite and turn the screen back on)? Aha, I remembered the COMAND "ON" button on the right side of the center console! The driver's view of that button is blocked by the touchpad, and I had never used that switch. (However, I had cycled through every button, menu, and screen when I first got the car. "Chance favors the prepared mind!" I had also warned my wife that modern cars are far more complicated than she is used to and that computer glitches are to be expected. So she was prepared, and as I was hunting for the "ON" button, she was feeling around the edge of the screen, looking for some button that might help.)

My wife had rested her purse on the edge of the center console. The purse must have been depressing the COMAND "ON" button at the moment I started the car and pushed the "ON" button to the "off" position. Remember this, if your COMAND screen ever goes black when you are carrying a passnger. And also remember (in case your COMAND system really does crash) that holding down the disc eject button will often reboot your COMAND system. (I certainly would not know about that second trick, except for reading MBWorld.) I also recommend that you warn your wife about the complexity of your modern Mercedes.

I'm so relieved there was a happy ending lol
Old 07-30-2016, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
So black screen of death = you turned it off

Funny...
Old 07-31-2016, 12:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2015 C250 AMG Line, Vision, COMMAND, Seat Comfort, Driver Assistance, Parking Assistance W205
At the risk of sounding equally stupid...

I got my car back after being washed and the COMMAND wouldn't turn on. Reset it using the eject button. Stopped the car, locked and unlocked it 3 times and still nothing.

Called my dealer. Suggested I bring it in.

For the first time since I had the car I decided to press the on/off button and viola.

Given none of us probably ever turn it on off, it's not that uncommon until you make that mistake once. Especially if someone else turned it off.

Curiously I inserted a CD, selected different functions and none of them prompted the screen to come on.
The following users liked this post:
gfmohn (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 07:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C450 AMG
For some reason, I have gotten in the habit of manually turning it off before shutting the engine down...I'm not really sure why, I've just been doing it since day 1.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:05 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
I thought you were going to plug in our new electric car!

Originally Posted by kleinebin
Given none of us probably ever turn it on off, it's not that uncommon until you make that mistake once. Especially if someone else turned it off.
Exactly my reason for bring this "problem" to the attention of fellow owners. It's a situation similar to the old story about calling a TV repairman and the repairman charges you $50 for plugging the TV back in. (Shows how old this joke is.) Actually, it's more like when the plug has fallen out of the socket and the socket is behind the sofa, where you can't see it. The COMAND "ON" switch is hidden from the driver by the touchpad, so I, at least, never thought of it until now.