C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Help with back up camera grid lines C300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C300 4-matic
Help with back up camera grid lines C300

I have a new C 300 and never owned a car with a backup camera. I find myself parking the old fashioned way (turning around) because I don't understand the grid lines.

How much distance does each yellow line represent?
How far away is the car behind from the center horizontal line?
How do I judge the distance of my car from the curb?

I tried to use the grid parking in a tight spot yesterday and did a terrible job.

Please help me understand the information the camera is giving me.

Thanks so much
Old 08-18-2016, 10:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C300
well using your eyes to see the lines are just as subjective as using you using your eyes when you turn around to see.

just as you've gotten used to making eyeball measurements when turning around, you will do the same with the lines in the backup camera. maybe someone out there has measured those lines with accuracy, but it differs on all cars so there is no standard.

im sure you know this already too, but as long as the car doesnt all the way up to your bumper, you're good...i think the camera shows the edge of the rear bumper of your car

And distance from the curb isnt easy to measure with a backup camera, that's why our cars also have the side mirror reverse memory where you can set the mirror to angle down when in reverse to see how far your wheels are to the curb. i use that every time i park to make sure im within the lines of a space or close enough to the curb.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C300 4-matic
No one told me about side mirror reverse memory. Do all cars have this option?
Old 08-18-2016, 12:00 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
Originally Posted by JudyDenver
No one told me about side mirror reverse memory. Do all cars have this option?
All good cars do. Place your car in reverse, keep your foot on the brake, select the right mirror adjustment button, angle the mirror downward so that you can see the rear wheels/curb. When you place your car in D or Park the mirror will return to it's original position after about 3 seconds or so. Next time you engage reverse it will return to the low angled position you set in reverse before.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by DapperStyle
All good cars do. Place your car in reverse, keep your foot on the brake, select the right mirror adjustment button, angle the mirror downward so that you can see the rear wheels/curb. When you place your car in D or Park the mirror will return to it's original position after about 3 seconds or so. Next time you engage reverse it will return to the low angled position you set in reverse before.
this works on both mirrors too, in case you need it. when you're in reverse you can select which mirror the car uses to point down
Old 08-18-2016, 05:17 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
E53
Originally Posted by JudyDenver
I have a new C 300 and never owned a car with a backup camera. I find myself parking the old fashioned way (turning around) because I don't understand the grid lines.

How much distance does each yellow line represent?
How far away is the car behind from the center horizontal line?
How do I judge the distance of my car from the curb?

I tried to use the grid parking in a tight spot yesterday and did a terrible job.

Please help me understand the information the camera is giving me.

Thanks so much
The owners manual has a very good description of the meaning of all the lines and the distances they represent. I tried to paste the picture and description here, but was not successful. It's on page 208 of the manual I have.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
The red is just about at the point of contact, so I use the last yellow line as my stopping point.

Trending Topics

Old 08-18-2016, 06:05 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
E53
The book says the yellow line is 3 feet and the red line is 12 inches. That seems pretty accurate in my experience. I find the side lines indicating the width of the car and the wheel track very useful.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:23 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
For S205 owners ...

yellow line horizontal also helps judge the space you will need to access the rear hatch and open the door and hence to not have the rear hatch hit anything when you open it after backing in...