C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

car covers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c200
car covers

Ok so Ive got a new c200 car with designo red paint and absolutely love it. I want to keep the paint in pristine condition for many years to come and was wondering if paying quite a bit for a car cover be worth it if i were to use the car about 2-3 times a week and yes i do keep it in a garage.
There is a fair amount of dust on my car every time when i have a look closely.
Any feed back would be much appreciated.
Dav
Old 08-25-2016, 10:05 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
E class, C class
I think it is best to get some sort of paint sealant or ceramic coating on top of the paint. Car covers are good but you have to make sure your car is almost spotless when you put the cover on, other wise the dust/dirt will be grinding away between the paint and the cover.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 270 Likes on 184 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by David MJ Ko
Ok so Ive got a new c200 car with designo red paint and absolutely love it. I want to keep the paint in pristine condition for many years to come and was wondering if paying quite a bit for a car cover be worth it if i were to use the car about 2-3 times a week and yes i do keep it in a garage.
Dav
I'd skip the cover, it will just scratch the paint when you put it on/take it off.

IMHO
Old 08-25-2016, 11:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by BF3PDZ
I think it is best to get some sort of paint sealant or ceramic coating on top of the paint. Car covers are good but you have to make sure your car is almost spotless when you put the cover on, other wise the dust/dirt will be grinding away between the paint and the cover.
Originally Posted by Mikey53
I'd skip the cover, it will just scratch the paint when you put it on/take it off.

IMHO

+1

This is great advice. Ceramic or hybrid coating and garage is all you need. Plus, and if I can be a little silly, car covers are kinda cheesy. Reminds me of older dudes with gold chains and tank tops and their IROC's and Mustang GT's when I was growing up.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:57 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
Originally Posted by David MJ Ko
Dav

All car covers will scratch the paint surface to some degree in fitting and removal.. dirt and dust from the car will get dragged across the car when you put it on, and once the dirt is transferred to the cover, will continue to drag across the car upon subsequent removals..
Car covers only of merit on garaged vehicles if the cars are parked up and effectively in storage..
If it is garaged then just leave it uncovered and ensure your cleaning practices are up to speed..
May i suggest some time on the Autogeek forum and reading through all the tutorials.. a lot of tips there on good practice to not induce swirls and scratches from well meaning but flawed maintenance practices..

Oh and congrats on the red, its gorgeous and i'd want to keep it pristine too..
Old 08-26-2016, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c200
Thanks for the information all