C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Need advice: About to purchase a 2016 C300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 02:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 C300
Need advice: About to purchase a 2016 C300

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and thought I should connect with you owners/experts. I'm in the process of moving forward with my first MB purchase and I'm looking at a 2016 C300 4Matic. This particular one is a loaner car at the dealership that will be discounted and available to me in the next month. It has about 2, 200 miles and I test drove it for a weekend and loved it. Premium 2 and Multimedia packages, and pano roof.

Since I just joined the forum today, I will immerse my self in reading other threads about the C300, but was hoping to ask a quick question: Anything I need to be aware of based on your current experiences with your C300? I can't think of any reasons not to buy this car, as the reviews are stellar and my experience driving it for a weekend was euphoric. Still deciding on lease vs. buy. Any experiences, guidance, opinions, etc. are welcome and most appreciated.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 183 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
If it has Run Flat tires, I would suggest having the dealer swap them out for a good set of all season non-run flats.

The forum members have several suggestions on which tires are best, I personally like the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 if they come in your size. I have 19 " wheels.

Welcome to the club! I've loved my 2016 C300 4matic Sport
The following users liked this post:
skhan007 (09-02-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 10:50 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
I would read and list every issue others have highlighted and go through the list as part
Of the vehicle inspection.
I'd also document every thing you find and the agreed actions if / where they are determined to hold to dealer to them.
I'd personally not take the car off the lot until all items agreed were completed, as as soon as you drive away a lot of your leverage to get things rectified is lost.

With that being said, enjoy.

All the best.
skhan007 (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 12:54 PM

2016 C300
Thanks so much, Guys. I'm currently digging through various threads and trying to get a sense of owners' experiences. Of note, I'm trying to see common problems with the vehicles in the first year or two of ownership. One thread indicated that 60% of new owners experienced some problems with their C300, but that thread included the W204 model year vs. the W205 that I'm currently considering.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:34 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes benz c300 2015
Only common issue I heard people having is with their run flats that come on the sport version, but I dont think this will effect you since you dont have the sport version.

I bought A loaner car from the dealership and mine came certified pre-owned. It came with a 1 Year certified pre-owned warranty + The remaining New car warranty. Since it was a certified pre-owned car, They changed just about everything out that did not meet (like new) condition standers. If you have any issues due to defect, The warranty should cover them with no haggling. So if any issue does arise you should be covered.

Your car is about a year old so having any problems within the first 3 years would be somewhat uncommon, and again covered under warranty. If the car is not certified pre-owned, then chances are your getting a used car that will not be recondition after service, but this should not discourage you from buying since it can lead to a better settled price. Just look for individual imperfections caused by ware & tear (if any) and use those as barging chips. Since you done an extended test drive you may have become a little attached to the car which can be bad for negotiation on your end, so try to find things you dont like on the car to assure the other party your not as interested. Also see if they can add the garmin GPS in for you. Its just an SD card that is inserted into the center arm rest. Mercedes sells them for about 600+ But I'm sure they get those things from their supplier for little to nothing. Just be sure to ask for this once you reached their final price.
skhan007 (09-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 479 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
At this point you can't go wrong with w204, except takata [stamped] airbags. No issues so far with them though.

As for w205, avoid 2015's. Much more issues.
skhan007 (09-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C300
make sure to negotiate a pre-paid maintenance package.

even at msrp the pre-paid maintenance pays off. Maintenance is dumb expensive on these benzes.

i was able to negotiate a free 3 year package
skhan007 (09-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 4matic - W205
I have 2015 C300 4matic with sport package, Multi Media and Prem-1 (as Prem-2 came in 2016). Love the ride, and handling. Power is plenty for the car. I was pissed at myself for not recognizing it had staggered tires with the run flats. Salesperson did not point it out either. Car has ran well so far for 18 months and only challenge is the tires (not the car). Will need to replace tires at about 18000 miles. Came with Conti Run Flats. Tires handle and ride fine but again tough to live with having to replace them so quickly. Don't like MB navigation system, but knew that going in to the deal. Car is sharp looking and runs good. Probably would have gone with the C450 but it was not out yet and the C400 did not have enough difference for me. Good luck
skhan007 (09-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 09:37 PM

2016 C300
Originally Posted by NYbenzzz
make sure to negotiate a pre-paid maintenance package.

even at msrp the pre-paid maintenance pays off. Maintenance is dumb expensive on these benzes.

i was able to negotiate a free 3 year package
Absolutely! Solid recommendation.

Originally Posted by ljpzap
I have 2015 C300 4matic with sport package, Multi Media and Prem-1 (as Prem-2 came in 2016). Love the ride, and handling. Power is plenty for the car. I was pissed at myself for not recognizing it had staggered tires with the run flats. Salesperson did not point it out either. Car has ran well so far for 18 months and only challenge is the tires (not the car). Will need to replace tires at about 18000 miles. Came with Conti Run Flats. Tires handle and ride fine but again tough to live with having to replace them so quickly. Don't like MB navigation system, but knew that going in to the deal. Car is sharp looking and runs good. Probably would have gone with the C450 but it was not out yet and the C400 did not have enough difference for me. Good luck
I'll have to read up more on why owners have issues with run flats.

Originally Posted by Mplayers2006
Only common issue I heard people having is with their run flats that come on the sport version, but I dont think this will effect you since you dont have the sport version.

I bought A loaner car from the dealership and mine came certified pre-owned. It came with a 1 Year certified pre-owned warranty + The remaining New car warranty. Since it was a certified pre-owned car, They changed just about everything out that did not meet (like new) condition standers. If you have any issues due to defect, The warranty should cover them with no haggling. So if any issue does arise you should be covered.

Your car is about a year old so having any problems within the first 3 years would be somewhat uncommon, and again covered under warranty. If the car is not certified pre-owned, then chances are your getting a used car that will not be recondition after service, but this should not discourage you from buying since it can lead to a better settled price. Just look for individual imperfections caused by ware & tear (if any) and use those as barging chips. Since you done an extended test drive you may have become a little attached to the car which can be bad for negotiation on your end, so try to find things you dont like on the car to assure the other party your not as interested. Also see if they can add the garmin GPS in for you. Its just an SD card that is inserted into the center arm rest. Mercedes sells them for about 600+ But I'm sure they get those things from their supplier for little to nothing. Just be sure to ask for this once you reached their final price.
Excellent points, thank you! The car I test drove had the Multimedia Package, so it had the GPS up and running. I thought it looked and functioned great, but my frame of reference is the 12 year old car I'm currently driving, so just about everything in the C300 feels like a quantum leap forward in technology.

I hear what you're saying about not appearing too attached to the specific car I test drove. I'll be certain to give it a good look-over when it's time to close. I think some advice above was to search out all issues that other owners have cited and make a checklist.

I do agree with the above comment about asking for the pre-paid maintenance. I think that would be a must-have. Can't really think of anything else to ask of the dealer.

Today, I spent a good amount of time reading/learning about leases, so now I understand residuals, money factors, and how to run numbers based on 36 months and MSRP. Part of me says to come to the table with at least $20K and buy the car, based on a good negotiated price. Now that I've learned a bit about leasing, I could save the cash, invest it, and do a 36 month lease. Much to think about!