C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Considering down pipe insulation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 01:30 AM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
Considering down pipe insulation

As per title, looking into adding DEI ti exhaust wrap to the DP on the S205...

Question was was if anyone else had removed the OEM DP and if there were any tips.. ??

Access look pretty good with the air inlet pipe and assy removed..

Summer will be upon us here in Queenland Oz and i was wanting to try and maintain lower engine bay temps..... and stop the engine pulling timing out under load...

Not concerned about corrosion on the DP as it seldom rains here and we don't use salt on the road etc.. also 99% of its runs are highway 40-50min runs so it will get an easy life... most of the time.. and yes i considered ceramic coating but the time off the car is a PITA.. where a si i can apply this in an arvo...

Cheers in advance...
Old 09-13-2016, 04:43 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
'16 GLC300
I wouldn't do it on a stock car or daily driver. For race cars or seldomly driven cars, it is fine.

The reason is because exhaust wrap decreases the longevity of the metal due to a few reasons. First, it hinders the natural expansion and reduction of the metal during heat cycles. Additionally, it also absorbs and keeps in condensation resulting in premature rust.

All this leads to the metal being more prone to cracking and fracturing over time.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:15 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
Cheers for the feedback...
IME to date The wrap won't hider pipe expansion, it has the capacity to elongate.. the metal retaining straps perhaps, but these also expand with temperature increase (albeit likely at a different rate to the exhaust)..

The corrosion issue i am aware of and if I were keeping it 5yrs plus i'd factor that in, but i won't be. Also where i live its hot and dry so condensation is the main source and thats relatvively minor given the intended dudty cycles.. (long highway drives most weekdays)...

Biggest query was around the catalyst section on the DP as varied comentry around this..

ATM I am looking to improve ventilation / extraction of heat under the rear of the engine (increase pressure differential across the radiator and improve flow) and at which elements of the exhaust may be further insluated without detriment..
i'll be taking a proper sticky beak this weekend, but i acknowledge a lot of sheilding there from factory.. perhaps limited gains...

Cheers again.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:15 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
'16 GLC300
I think you should look into this heat tape instead:

https://www.amazon.com/010397-Reflec.../dp/B0039Z1V1K

A lot of track guys around here use it and it seems to work well with easy application.

The biggest help I've found in my experience to decrease temps is venting the hood.