C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Removing the instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 10:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C450
Removing the instrument cluster

I've been visiting different dealerships over 8 times in the last 4 months to try to resolve a persistent rattle that's inside the instrument cluster. Each time they would sort of fix it, but then it worsens after. Does anyone have instructions to take out the instrument cluster?

I'm also trying to resolve another rattle inside the center speaker, and I remember someone made a thread on opening that up too. If someone remembers which thread that is, that would be great!
Old 10-24-2016, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
If you grab ahold of the top part of the dash where it humps up over the instrument cluster, and rock it up and down does that recreate the noise?

For the dash speaker, get some 3/8" foam speaker sealing tape. Pop off the cover (it just snaps on and off) by prying an edge up and then lifting upward. There are a half dozen clips holding it in. Run speaker tape around the underside perimeter between the clips and pop the cover back on. The tape causes there to be more tension on the clips and stops the buzzing.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:57 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
Originally Posted by Waylon Zeng
I've been visiting different dealerships over 8 times in the last 4 months to try to resolve a persistent rattle that's inside the instrument cluster. Each time they would sort of fix it, but then it worsens after. Does anyone have instructions to take out the instrument cluster?

I'm also trying to resolve another rattle inside the center speaker, and I remember someone made a thread on opening that up too. If someone remembers which thread that is, that would be great!

There is the plastic upper cowl on the steering column which has the fabric attached and has a u shaped plastic piece also attached under the binnacle.
Forst wiggle the steering column side and it lifts very easily up (extend the column out and down for the most room behind the steering wheel).
Now gently pull the plastic shroud under he binnacle towards you as you are sat in the drivers seat.. lift the assy away and you will see the binnacle lower mounting bolts x2 off torx t30. (if i recall).
You can undo thes and draw the binnacle directly out towards you. CAUTION IT IS ATTACHED BY ITS WIRE HARNESS. you will need to unhook the wireharness from its guide on the rear before the binnacle is fully forward... then you can advance it a little more to give you access to the connrector termainl cams.. disconnect these and with some angling and wiggling the bnnacle will lift away.... (in the factory the steering wheel is not fitted so its very straight forward).

placing cloth tape around the perimeter of the binnacle will help a little BUT the binnalc itself is compound unit made with some bittle plastics hecen with heat expansion and any moevement its prone to creaking..
I applied the following;
Cloth tape around the binnacle perimeter with a spray of silicon into it.
Low densty foam into the appeture behind the binnacle within the dash
Rubber grease to the binnacle contact points upper center and lower LHS & RHS..
Sprayed silicon carefully around the binnacle clamshell mateig edges (clip locations)
Reassembled and ensured all fixings were tight and secure..

The only remaining noise is from the bianncle assembly itself creaking due to it construction and materials used... not mush more that can be done with that...

Re the sepaker yo have your answers from Mike on that one..
The following users liked this post:
Mr. J (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
When it comes to noise abatement, Shadwell is the expert. He succeeded in making a 205 as quiet as a Mercedes Benz, which ain't easy.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:27 AM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
Cheers Mike,
if by expert you mean the only idiot who took their car to pieces to fill it with NVH materials and put it back together properly then sure.... 😉
I believe it's a WIP though... 😪
Old 10-25-2016, 06:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W205
My dealer succeeded in repairing my sunglasses compartment (the one next to rearview mirror); it rattled like hell; they took it apart, run some soft/cloth tape around mounting surfaces and put back on. Quiet ever since, we'll see for how long.