C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Free car wash at dealership?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 Mercedes C300
Free car wash at dealership?

Going through various posts, there is no simple way of washing your car and Automated car washes are not recommended.

Seems the easiest way to wash is through a Mercedes dealer since they would know how to properly wash the car.

Is a dealer obligated to give you a car wash anytime you want? or is it a perk if you get servicing done there?

How much does it cost if you have to pay?

FYI: Live in an apartment and have a Mercedes dealer a mile away. Did not buy the car from them.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by whiteC3002016
Going through various posts, there is no simple way of washing your car and Automated car washes are not recommended.

Seems the easiest way to wash is through a Mercedes dealer since they would know how to properly wash the car.

Is a dealer obligated to give you a car wash anytime you want? or is it a perk if you get servicing done there?

FYI: Live in an apartment and have a Mercedes dealer a mile away. Did not buy the car from them.

Dont bother getting washes from the dealership unless you enjoy having your paint swirled to the ends of hell
Old 12-13-2016, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
My dealer washes my car but it takes forever to get done and not the greatest job. I use a touch less car wash for all of my cars Two Mercedes and an Audi. No issues.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:29 PM

E350

take the time to wash your car or go through touch less just to be on the safe side if you can't go to a washing bay.

the dealership doesn't care about washing your car correctly they wash it just like Honda or a Nissan dealership. Using brushes that add swirls marks all over your car.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
I have been using this soft brush car wash since it opened years ago. $4.00 for a basic wash. 150+ washes on various cars. Never once have I regretted it. The air blower at the end of the wash gets the car almost completely dry. A quick wipedown with a towel and the car is good to go. http://www.carwashtime.com/ Twice a year I use Dri-Wash http://www.dwginternational.com/WebSite/aboutus.htm to give some added protection. I have used Dri-Wash exclusively on my '67 GTO for over 20 years. I feel sorry for all our fellow car enthusiasts who are killing themselves with clay bars and expensive waxes.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:40 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2016 C450

Not sure if all MB dealers do it, but the ones in my area - all AutoNation - will do the courtesy wash on anything with the silver star.

But as Diesel Doc said, it can take a while so it's a mixed bag for me. Closest dealership, a 10 minute drive, has their car wash open Mon. - Sat., 9:00 am - 2:00 pm, so if I have time and can be there at or just before 9:00, I go.........like about 2 weeks ago. Didn't buy the car there, either.

This weekend, will probably go a mile away from home & pay $10.00 for the outside only - they open @ 8:00 and I need an early start to get the Honey-do List completed. (She works on Saturdays!! Gimme a break!....not you, C300. That was for the knuckleheads.) Next couple weeks maybe back to the dealership for the full service inside and out, Armor All tires, the whole nine.

All that said, I always slide the MB service dude washing the car some decent cash, so I end up paying the price anyway.....except I get it vacuumed, too. But, you don't really have to leave a tip.

So both depending on circumstance, I hit one or the other, and at my local spot I get freebie after 5 paid washes.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 C300
Has anyone started a thread on how to wash your car in the winter? Assuming of course, I'm not going to a drive-through carwash (I'm told not to do this, right?).
The following users liked this post:
One Veronique (11-27-2021)
Old 12-13-2016, 01:54 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
-
They are not obligated in any way.

More important is that they don't know how to wash a car. Almost all people in almost all car washes don't know how / don't care / are not paid to wash your car properly.

What do you mean no simple way? For a basic wash you need two buckets, shampoo, a microfiber glove and a towel.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:01 PM

2016 Mercedes C300
Doesn't towel cause swirls as well?

Touchless car wash seems to be the way to go.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:06 PM

-
Touchless car wash uses very aggressive shampoo that does damage to the clear coat in the long term.

Towels or sponges don't do damage to the paint, the dirt caught in them does. If you've washed the car well, drying carefully while flipping the towel is ok. That's also the point of the microfiber glove - the fibers "catch" the dirt and hold it until you shake it off in the rinse bucket.

This guy has a lot to say about maintaining cars. Just keep in mind that he's mental about detailing and tone thing down to your taste :-)

The following 2 users liked this post by shadenfroh:
skhan007 (12-14-2016), whiteC3002016 (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 02:07 PM

2013 C250 Sport
I have owned 3 black cars, 1 silver car, and 1 metallic gray car in my lifetime.

I'm not sure how in the hell some of the guys here have run through auto washes with no scratches or swirl marks but my experience in this:

there is absolutely NO substitute for hand washing your car and caring for it properly. This at a minimum includes 2 buckets, a few microfibers, a wash mit, good car soap

I've tried dealer washes, 4+ star "touchless" and "touch" washes , pretty mcuh any kind of wash between 10-50 dollars and they ALL overtime will in some way scratch your car.

Touch washes offer no guarentee of drying or cleaning your car with clean towels (you really think the 50+ cars they clean or dry they swap out a premium microfiber every time?)

Touchless car washes use very strong chemicals that strip your wax or other protective layer and can leave chemicals that stain your clearcoat or plastic trim etc. in addition the level of clean will never match a properly washed car.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:33 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by sev7nflow
I have owned 3 black cars, 1 silver car, and 1 metallic gray car in my lifetime.

I'm not sure how in the hell some of the guys here have run through auto washes with no scratches or swirl marks but my experience in this:

there is absolutely NO substitute for hand washing your car and caring for it properly. This at a minimum includes 2 buckets, a few microfibers, a wash mit, good car soap

I've tried dealer washes, 4+ star "touchless" and "touch" washes , pretty mcuh any kind of wash between 10-50 dollars and they ALL overtime will in some way scratch your car.

Touch washes offer no guarentee of drying or cleaning your car with clean towels (you really think the 50+ cars they clean or dry they swap out a premium microfiber every time?)

Touchless car washes use very strong chemicals that strip your wax or other protective layer and can leave chemicals that stain your clearcoat or plastic trim etc. in addition the level of clean will never match a properly washed car.
my car's a lease, auto car wash for me.

i like the $6 special from 6am to 8am.
The following users liked this post:
Go Dawgs (02-27-2020)
Old 12-13-2016, 02:49 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
Originally Posted by pjw1967
I have been using this soft brush car wash since it opened years ago. $4.00 for a basic wash. 150+ washes on various cars. Never once have I regretted it. The air blower at the end of the wash gets the car almost completely dry. A quick wipedown with a towel and the car is good to go. http://www.carwashtime.com/ Twice a year I use Dri-Wash http://www.dwginternational.com/WebSite/aboutus.htm to give some added protection. I have used Dri-Wash exclusively on my '67 GTO for over 20 years. I feel sorry for all our fellow car enthusiasts who are killing themselves with clay bars and expensive waxes.
don't sorry for them, they enjoy maintaining their vehicles properly.
its also great that you are happy with your vehicles appearance.
your paint under correct inspection with an educated eye will however be heavily flawed. But it only matters that you think it looks good.
all the best
Old 12-13-2016, 02:54 PM

Doesn't towel cause swirls as well?

Touchless car wash seems to be the way to go.
Absolutely.
A dry towell will scour clear coat, it's more evident in softer darker paint, but it's happening on all.
Even dry microfibre will Marr paint.. That's why they should all be used with a correct cleaning and lubricating solution (shampoo, waterless wash, rinseless wash etc). And never dry.
even MF drying towells should be wetted and rung out before use, they dry far more effectively that way...
Old 12-13-2016, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by skhan007
Has anyone started a thread on how to wash your car in the winter? Assuming of course, I'm not going to a drive-through carwash (I'm told not to do this, right?).
May I suggest you head over to autogeek online.
look up the how to section and take a look at the numerous articles in correct vehicle cleaning...
They are super helpful and point out correct practice and some pitfalls / ways people damage the car when they think thy're maintaining it.

all the best.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:33 AM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C300 Sedan
I wash my car every week using Meguiar's D115 rinse and wax solution and micro fibers towels. I've been doing this for almost 4 years on my various cars. I simply spray the solution on which emulsifies the dirt and I wipe it off using microfiber cloths. I only make one pass with the section of the cloth so I'm not re-introducing dirt to the paint. This solution is available at autogeek. it's Meguiar's professional line of detailing products and it also has some wax in it. It's very easy to apply and it keeps my car really super clean and shine. I was introduced to this method and this product by my detailer about three years ago and I'm very happy with the results. I also have a ceramic coating on my car which helps keep it cleaner and makes it a lot easier to wash it.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
During the winter months, in a cold climate, there is no way to do hand washes at home. There is no question that hand washing is the most effective and least destructive way of caring for the car and its paint, but that's not always a practical option at below freezing temperatures.

During our winter season, I routinely take my car through a touchless car wash. I have done this with every car I've ever owned, going back to brush style washes. The other choice is to leave the car covered in salt and road grime. Most car washes also offer a hand wash bay, and I also use that when available.

Have I ever seen minor swirl marks on the paint? Yes, I have ... and it always buffs out easily when I can wax the car with the arrival of spring.

Commercial car washes are far from ideal, but they do offer an easy way of getting winter dirt off the car when other options may not be available.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by StanNH
During the winter months, in a cold climate, there is no way to do hand washes at home. There is no question that hand washing is the most effective and least destructive way of caring for the car and its paint, but that's not always a practical option at below freezing temperatures.

During our winter season, I routinely take my car through a touchless car wash. I have done this with every car I've ever owned, going back to brush style washes. The other choice is to leave the car covered in salt and road grime. Most car washes also offer a hand wash bay, and I also use that when available.

Have I ever seen minor swirl marks on the paint? Yes, I have ... and it always buffs out easily when I can wax the car with the arrival of spring.

Commercial car washes are far from ideal, but they do offer an easy way of getting winter dirt off the car when other options may not be available.
Thanks- makes sense. I know that below freezing, there are no real do-it-yourself carwash options. I was thinking that if it's above freezing, let's say 40's or so, I could likely get a couple of buckets of warm/hot water and do a quick handwash and quick microfiber dry. Do you guys think that's feasible?

As a side note, I'm totally intrigued by the Chemical Guy site, products, and the Ammo NYC video above. It sounds like a "kit" purchase should include a couple of buckets with the strainers on the bottom, soap (not sure why you need both the citrus wash and suds shampoo, as recommended in the kit), after wash product, and some microfiber cloths/mits. Then of course, tire gel with applicator. Am I missing anything?
Old 12-14-2016, 12:47 PM

-
Add a simple brush for the wheels-tires-wells (that never touches anything else), and possibly a dedicated cleaner and a bucket. If not, just rinse thoroughly the bucket you use to wash the wheels.

And leave the warm water out. It doesn't go well with cold glass

By the way, get your grit guard from the guys who invented it. Always good to support family business!

https://www.gritguard.com/

Last edited by shadenfroh; 12-14-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Thank you thank you, I sooo needed a good old laugh out loud.

dealers haven't a clue about most things in my experience and certainly don't care when washing a hundred vehicles with the same gritty sponge.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:15 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
Thank you thank you, I sooo needed a good old laugh out loud.

dealers haven't a clue about most things in my experience and certainly don't care when washing a hundred vehicles with the same gritty sponge.

Washes at my dealer are worth less than I pay for them (free). To them a wash consists of hitting the car with a pressure washer and wiping down with a towel. Gets most of the dust off but not much else and certainly no bugs. I have the dealer wash the leased MB only.
For our car, I do a hand wash (two bucket), dry with microfiber towels and clean the wheels and tires separately. It doesn't take very much time to do a much better job than the dealer, saves some money and I get a clean car. An added benefit is that I look much more closely at every part of the car.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
The new Mercedes/AMG dealership in Burlington, MA (MBOB) has their own built-in automatic car wash, and it seems to do a fine job. Just about every time I take my car in for service (in good weather), they give it a free car wash/vacuum inside/tire shine. The dealership also gave me $120 of free car wash vouchers when I bought my first Mercedes there...good for 5 free washes.

My C450 is Iridium Silver, so I'm not too worried about swirls in the clear coat, but I do admit I hand wash the car myself in the good weather...and limit my Winter washes at the dealership.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300
I agree with MASSC450. I've only had my C washed at the dealer thru their automated service. Paint looks as good as it did the day I picked her up last Feb. My dealership does a fantastic job with cleaning the car both inside and out. I will only have MB wash it. Sucks that some dealerships do a crappy job at something so crucial to maintaining a flawless look.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:19 PM

2018 C300 Sport 4matic
My dealer does it for free. Tried it once never again!! Looked OK when I drove off but after getting out of the car I notice my front rim was all scratched up. I’d had the car only 60 days. Took it back the next day and told the service manager what happened. He didn’t give me any grief over it and said they would fix it. I have the AMG 18” sports rims. They sent it out to someone that buffed out the rim and repainted gray between the ribs. Looked brand new when I got it back.

Live and learn 8-\
Old 01-05-2017, 04:19 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
My local dealership did a great job during summer time. But NOT WINTER!!

they scratch my paint every time during winter - though they would buff it out. It's just annoying - i wouldn't take it back just to have them buff it out each time after a car wash. I have complained several times, no responses from their managers.

So, NO NO during winter.

Edit, my friend's CLA 45 AMG got scratched all over his car through the car wash when he was there to pick up the new C43 with me. which happened a year ago on my C300 - same during winter time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Free car wash at dealership?