C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Reverse not tilting down mirror

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2017 | 07:34 AM
mun

n/a
Reverse not tilting down mirror

Hi

For the past few months, the passenger side mirror automatically tilts down to see the curb whenever I shift to reverse. Since last week, that has somehow stopped. That is, even with the passenger side mirror selected (red LED on). Does anyone know if there's a software setting? I wonder if I've accidentally clicked something I'm not meant to.

Any thought appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2017 | 08:17 AM

2016 C300 sedan
No answer for you but I am experiencing the same issue, both my drivers and passenger side mirrors tilt sporadically in reverse but not all the time. Interested in a fix....
Old 01-30-2017 | 08:39 AM
mun

n/a
Originally Posted by mikec35
both my drivers and passenger side mirrors tilt sporadically in reverse
Are both the driver's and passenger side mirror meant to tilt? Only the passenger side's tilts (at least it used to) on mine.
Old 01-30-2017 | 08:52 AM

AMG CLE 53
Only the passenger side mirror moves when in reverse. Try doing the setting procedure again. It may have been moved out of position and require a reset.
Old 01-30-2017 | 08:54 AM
mun

n/a
Originally Posted by BenzC400
Only the passenger side mirror moves when in reverse. Try doing the setting procedure again. It may have been moved out of position and require a reset.
Right. What's the setting procedure? Also, how are the mirrors reset? My mirrors don't have memory.
Old 01-30-2017 | 09:49 AM

AMG CLE 53
Originally Posted by mun
Right. What's the setting procedure? Also, how are the mirrors reset? My mirrors don't have memory.
The owners manual has a very good description of how to set the passenger side mirror to dip when in reverse. I don't have access to a copy to cut and paste from right now. As far as I know, all W205s have this feature.
Old 01-30-2017 | 10:10 AM

C63S
I actually just made a new post on this same issue (before I saw this thread. mod please delete that one).

I am having the same problem. Multiple times I have set it to angle down when in reverse and it works when testing right after setting. But then when I want to actually use it while out driving, it doesn't work. Given that multiple others are having this issue, it seems there is some kind of malfunction.
Old 01-30-2017 | 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Pg. 115 of your owners manual gives you the instructions on how to store the parking position of the passenger exterior mirror.
The following users liked this post:
Trey Shelton (02-06-2020)
Old 01-30-2017 | 03:00 PM

W205 C250 2016
Just engage reverse, adjust the mirror (you can tilt down, up, wherever is your liking) and that's it as far I can remember... Check manual as previous users suggest.
Old 01-31-2017 | 12:05 AM

2016 C300 4MATIC
You have to make sure your right mirror is selected when you're reversing (as in the right mirror button is lighting up red). I leave it selected and it automatically tilts down.
Old 01-31-2017 | 09:02 AM

C63S
Originally Posted by alyshehata
You have to make sure your right mirror is selected when you're reversing (as in the right mirror button is lighting up red). I leave it selected and it automatically tilts down.
Yep, this is what I was missing. I just came from a BMW which would automatically adjust the mirror down when you selected reverse. In the MB, the passenger mirror must be selected. alyshehata, when you say you leave the passenger selected, how does that work? I haven't paid very close attention to it, but as far as I've noticed, the mirror selection (whichever is lit red) goes away as I drive. So nothing is selected. I'll pay more attention now, but you're saying that you can select passenger mirror and it will stay lit and be still be lit after you turn off and on the car? Or do you have to select that mirror each time you start your car?
Old 01-31-2017 | 11:43 AM

2016 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by jherm
Yep, this is what I was missing. I just came from a BMW which would automatically adjust the mirror down when you selected reverse. In the MB, the passenger mirror must be selected. alyshehata, when you say you leave the passenger selected, how does that work? I haven't paid very close attention to it, but as far as I've noticed, the mirror selection (whichever is lit red) goes away as I drive. So nothing is selected. I'll pay more attention now, but you're saying that you can select passenger mirror and it will stay lit and be still be lit after you turn off and on the car? Or do you have to select that mirror each time you start your car?
So basically when you get in the car look at the mirror selection light. If it's not on, or lighting the driver side, switch it to the passenger side. Next, put the car in reverse. If the mirror does not tilt, tilt it manually yourself to your comfort. Once you've manually adjusted the mirror, put the car into drive and drive over 5 mph and you'll see the mirror go back up to the original position. Try putting it in reverse, and it will tilt down to the position you set before. That's pretty much it and the right mirror light should stay lit everytime you start the car (unless you manually switch it to the left light). Sometimes if I don't want the mirror to tilt down (like reverse parking), then I select the left side and it won't tilt. Afterwards, if I want it to tilt, I just select the right light.
Old 01-31-2017 | 11:49 AM

C63S
Originally Posted by alyshehata
So basically when you get in the car look at the mirror selection light. If it's not on, or lighting the driver side, switch it to the passenger side. Next, put the car in reverse. If the mirror does not tilt, tilt it manually yourself to your comfort. Once you've manually adjusted the mirror, put the car into drive and drive over 5 mph and you'll see the mirror go back up to the original position. Try putting it in reverse, and it will tilt down to the position you set before. That's pretty much it and the right mirror light should stay lit everytime you start the car (unless you manually switch it to the left light). Sometimes if I don't want the mirror to tilt down (like reverse parking), then I select the left side and it won't tilt. Afterwards, if I want it to tilt, I just select the right light.
Got it, thanks. So it just requires more active management than my BMW did. I get both ways. It was more convenient that the BMW would automatically tilt when put in reverse for the purpose of parallel parking. But at the same time, that means it tilts possibly in situations where you are backing up and not parallel parking. I guess I've just never really used that passenger side mirror when reversing unless I was parallel parking.