C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C400 Back from Dinan...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by RTC450

$2400 for 405bhp nooooooooo,,,, this is the same power that our Dinan sell to us jajajajjajajajaa
Not even 40 hp gain from the RENNtech when you read the fine print...

"C 450 AMG BiTurbo (W205 - M276 Biturbo 4-MATIC Engine) Stock Performance:

362 hp @ 5,500-6,000 RPM; 384 lb-ft @ 2,000-4,200 RPM

C 450 AMG BiTurbo (W205 - M276 Biturbo 4-MATIC Engine) Modified Performance:

402 hp @ 5,300 RPM; 454 lb-ft @ 3,200 RPM

Note: Mercedes M276 engine performance when measured obtains higher numbers that rated from factory."
Old 04-03-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
w205 C43, 958.1 CTT
Originally Posted by subzero05
no dyno figures from berger, yet you want to buy it because "some guys" say its good. Atleast Dinan has an AWD dyno. It amazes me that some are bent over "up to 40 hp" yet they "perceive" they didn't get anything close to that, yet the only dyno figures posted are from way back when it was first released. Its $300!. Seriously if you only gained 20HP for $300 you are ahead of the game, you wont get anywhere near that with an intake and an exhaust combined HP wise and you spent a ton of $$!. yet some don't want to recommend it based on sheer perception . Everyone has an opinion and I get that, but to suggest another manufacturer has a better product with nothing to back that up either seems short sided to me. Not to mention those guys got fined a crap load of $$ from the cal air resources board for doing shady things.. that in itself is enough for me NOT to buy anything from them
I'm not sure if you're familiar with BMW's but Burger Tuning's JB was a game changer. My friend has one on his 550i and the difference in the car is night and day. If I had a BMW, I would have the JB unit on it instead of Dinan.

I never said anything bad about the w205 Dinan unit, at least nothing bad intentionally. The unit works well, easy to install, and you have bluetooth control.

I was just curious how different the JB unit is vs Dinan since it seems JB has multiple sensors vs Dinan's one sensor.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
Yes, but the Renntech comes with a starter bottle of hydro generated electrons that....

I was drawn to the Dinan sport because of the single sensor connection and likely conservative engineering. I did expect an app that would remain connected to an IPhone 7 continuously.

I'm satisfied and believe I got more than $300 worth of engineering and manufacturing though the effect is mild, subjectively, and on that basis, relatively highest with Mercedes C and Dinan S+.

I have no desire to damage my motor, and hope Dinan goes to the next stage. Dinan, I'll go up to $2,000, but you gotta do better with the app.

Last edited by removedCFGaccount; 04-03-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by sterz85
I'm not sure if you're familiar with BMW's but Burger Tuning's JB was a game changer. My friend has one on his 550i and the difference in the car is night and day. If I had a BMW, I would have the JB unit on it instead of Dinan.

I never said anything bad about the w205 Dinan unit, at least nothing bad intentionally. The unit works well, easy to install, and you have bluetooth control.

I was just curious how different the JB unit is vs Dinan since it seems JB has multiple sensors vs Dinan's one sensor.
Yeah, it's a heck of a weird comment from him. JB is best-in-class for piggyback tunes. They're totally open about what their product does and how it works, give great advice on how to tweak it to customize performance, and have amazing customer service. I had a faulty USB cable on the unit from my Golf R and sent a PM to their forum rep--I had a response in about 30 minutes and a new cable in the mail the same day.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
CL500
Originally Posted by Lionel_Hutz
Yeah, it's a heck of a weird comment from him. JB is best-in-class for piggyback tunes. They're totally open about what their product does and how it works, give great advice on how to tweak it to customize performance, and have amazing customer service. I had a faulty USB cable on the unit from my Golf R and sent a PM to their forum rep--I had a response in about 30 minutes and a new cable in the mail the same day.

I personally couldn't disagree more. I had a JB box on an E9x car and had nothing but problems. Their customer service was fine, but they would never tell me what the problem actually was. I took it off , then took it to the dealer as the car set faults after the box was removed. The dealer determined it had "something" that was causing the CEL to auto reset every 15-20 seconds so as to not "trigger" the light. never again would I use or recommend their product . That same dealer was selling Dinan at the time, they flashed my car and I never looked back . been happy wit their stuff ever since, but again that was just my experience.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
Dinan, if you are out there feel free to chime in.
How does this unit work as efficiently, and as safely, when compared to the units sold by VR and Berger? The Dinan unit only passes through the boost pressure sensor, and doesnt use the manifold sensor, or the cam sensor. Where there other iterations of this module that used the other plugs, and if so why did you only go with the boost sensor?
Oh and I never got an answer on the whole Die-naan, Dee-non pronunciation thing.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
I'd also like to know from Dinan if they dyno'ed the C450 and if they would post the results before/after installing their piggy-back, and does the Mercedes ECU actually have to "learn" after the Dinan piggy-back install...therefore gaining even more power over time compared to the initial install.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Former Member

CLS
Subjectively, nothing appears to be a function of time....
Old 04-04-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Dinan needs to set them thread notifications on
Old 04-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Former Member

CLS
Why?
Old 04-04-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by CFG
Why?
To update/respond to all the inquiries, lol.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:02 AM
Former Member

CLS
Well, lol, maybe silence is best absent something new....
Old 04-04-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 AMG C43
It is strangely quiet for a company trying to move into a market to not pay attention to that market even on a forum. Even with CFG's initial take on the piggyback, I was still interested but won't do anything until I hear from Dinan about what actually happens with this piggyback.

As was mentioned in another thread, and only having experience from other car manufacturers, I'm surprised at how little information is put out before or demanded before MB owners mod their cars. It got shot down in that thread and probably will here, but this thread just reinforces that observation. I understand Dinan is a respected company, but that doesn't mean there is a flop here and there. This coming from someone anxiously awaiting a tune from Dinan. I don't mean this as a put down to any owner as I understand the desire to get some movement on the void we face with choices.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:14 AM
Former Member

CLS
$300 is chump change, and I took a chance.

I've tried to be as objective as possible with the subjective information I have, initially, and now.

I regret nothing.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:49 PM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
Originally Posted by CFG
Well, lol, maybe silence is best absent something new....
Dinan probably shut off notices after reading page after page of quips by the same poster.
The following users liked this post:
YoungLane (04-18-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 04:51 PM
Former Member

CLS
Lol! Could be.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
BMW, Audi, MB, MINI, VW
Originally Posted by sterz85

Most piggybacks connect to 1-4 sensors--- MAP, TMAP (boost sensors, one on the manifold one on the intake pipe) and CAM (RPM signal so you can boost by RPM) and then a few go to the rail pressure sensor which gives you some control over fuel. The vast majority simply use the first 3. In reality the TMAP and MAP are what are controlling your power though. Turbo engine power is all about boost after all. Adding sensors on top of that give you the ability to smooth out power to some extent and improve drivability--- this assumes the tuner goes that far though as well. On the BMW front and in a lot of cases the bulk of the power from those 2 boost sensors can be gains by simply manipulating one sensor or the other. When you use both you may get a few additional HP but is it worth the extra cost of the harness and what not for those few ponies? We argue that it probably isn't when the whole point of the product is to be a low cost, simple, effective unit. Adding more cost for not really anything flies in the face of its purpose.

Originally Posted by Lionel_Hutz

I don't think we are trying to hide what the product does at all. It plugs into one sensor--- boost. Not much to hide. =)

Originally Posted by cenzo86
Dinan, if you are out there feel free to chime in.
How does this unit work as efficiently, and as safely, when compared to the units sold by VR and Berger? The Dinan unit only passes through the boost pressure sensor, and doesnt use the manifold sensor, or the cam sensor. Where there other iterations of this module that used the other plugs, and if so why did you only go with the boost sensor?
Oh and I never got an answer on the whole Die-naan, Dee-non pronunciation thing.

See above for the answer to some of this.

The common misconception is that a single sensor will lean out the motor but we specifically go to the pressure sensor on the intake charged pipe and NOT the intake manifold for this reason. The intake manifold pressure sensor will report the correct manifold pressure to the ECU and the timing and fuel mixture calculations will remain unaffected. Additionally, all modern vehicles are equipped with a wide band o2 sensor which is running in constant closed loop. Therefore it is impossible to lean out the motor with this device.

Oh and its pronounced Dye-nAn.

Originally Posted by MASSC450
I'd also like to know from Dinan if they dyno'ed the C450 and if they would post the results before/after installing their piggy-back, and does the Mercedes ECU actually have to "learn" after the Dinan piggy-back install...therefore gaining even more power over time compared to the initial install.

There is no adaptation period. The power delivery will get a little more smooth after the ECU adapts to the change in driving styles that is typically associated with more power but the power will be there upon first plug in.

Originally Posted by Big Goober
It is strangely quiet for a company trying to move into a market to not pay attention to that market even on a forum. Even with CFG's initial take on the piggyback, I was still interested but won't do anything until I hear from Dinan about what actually happens with this piggyback.

As was mentioned in another thread, and only having experience from other car manufacturers, I'm surprised at how little information is put out before or demanded before MB owners mod their cars. It got shot down in that thread and probably will here, but this thread just reinforces that observation. I understand Dinan is a respected company, but that doesn't mean there is a flop here and there. This coming from someone anxiously awaiting a tune from Dinan. I don't mean this as a put down to any owner as I understand the desire to get some movement on the void we face with choices.

I check the non-BMW forums occasionally but not nearly as often as I should probably. Be more prevalent once ELITE units get to the market I am sure but the SPORT units are for all practical purposes, an entry level way of testing the market that is super simple and really designed for distribution outlets (Tire Rack, ECS, Motovicity, Turn 14, Keystone, etc). Its success is tied to sales numbers through those outlets and indicates the viability of expanding the Mercedes program or not. I wouldn't say its hands off but its about as close to it as possible as that is the designed intention.

In general I am not a forum persona that likes to comment on everything. I let the conversations take their due course and let opinions go whereever way they go. If something is falsely presented as fact I will jump in but my job is not to sway opinion--- its simply to inform. End user can make their own assessment of if something that is presented meets their needs or not. I am simply a vendor and if it were me I would only trust anything I say so far anyway. Its always better for the community to get non-biased opinions which is how I like to operate and let things go organically. Has more meaning that way when first hand accounts are relayed by the community at large.

Originally Posted by cenzo86
Dinan probably shut off notices after reading page after page of quips by the same poster.
Originally Posted by CFG
Lol! Could be.

This made me lol. Nothing but love though CFG. Everyone is entitled to their opinion even if we don't agree (although I will agree the app needs love but alas). =)
The following 3 users liked this post by DinanCars:
DameMD (05-18-2017), Doubletap99 (04-18-2017), YoungLane (04-18-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Former Member

CLS
Conspiracy of silence ends, and a confederacy of dunces shrugs....

Actually, once I got my initial impressions under control, I believe my comments, taken in their entirety, are fair.

Now, D dude, on to the big tune, please, and three things: keep installation simple; fix the app disconnect thingy/fault; and, keep it $2,000 or less....

Addendum: the Tire Rack squib really hurt....
Attached Thumbnails C400 Back from Dinan...-img_0096.jpg  

Last edited by removedCFGaccount; 04-04-2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Substituted squib for quip.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C450 amg
Hahahaha good explanation in resume we get a toy from toys r us a Friday night dinning price..

Last edited by RTC450; 04-04-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
This thread should come with a free translator app.

Input: Hahahaha good explanation in resume we get a toy from toys r us a Friday night dinner price.

Result: Well said my friend! The Dinantronics product represents a fair value!
YoungLane (04-18-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 07:45 PM
Former Member

CLS
Or is he saying the opposite?
Old 04-04-2017, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Depends on the definition of a Friday Night dinner price. Since church Fish Fries are typically on Friday night, and since they clearly represent a good value, the app wisely factored in cultural norms and deduced that the comment was not intended to denigrate the product, but rather to compare it favorably to fried haddock.

Then again it's still in beta.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:12 PM

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2015 C400
Glad to see the manufacturer / vendor post some feedback.

Quite the derailed thread since page 5...a lot of drama for nothing.

Looking forward to the install! Maybe I'll start a new thread...
Old 04-04-2017, 09:44 PM
Former Member

CLS
Flap, hiss....

Quite a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

Please do start your own.
Attached Thumbnails C400 Back from Dinan...-img_1044.gif  
Old 04-04-2017, 09:55 PM

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2015 C400
^^ exactly, good summary of your posts.
YoungLane (04-18-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.