C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Car would not start!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 05:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250
Car would not start!

After just over 2 years of ownership, I had my first major issue with the car yesterday.

I started the car in the morning, noticed the lights in the instrument cluster was dimmer than usual, without thinking too much, I put the car into reverse and the reverse camera did not engage. I then realised the whole Comand system was not ON and could not be turned ON manually. I drove for about 500 meters and hit the first set of traffic lights and got this wonderful idea of restarting the car in the hope that it would start the Comand system just like what you do when you have a computer problem and how wrong was I. The car would not start at all; the instrument cluster continue to light up, the climate control fan was functioning, and electrical windows were working too, but Comand was dead, engine would not start and even the bloody hazard lights wouldn't work! Great fun at a busy intersection during peak hour traffic!

I turned off everything completely and tried to start the car, multiple times, with zero luck, so I called roadside assistance and help arrived about 1 hour later. They also could not start the car, so they reconnected the battery, at which point, the car came back to life. They reckon it was an electrical failure and asked that I take the car to the dealer.

But after putting the car through the full health check at the dealership, every test passed and they also could not find any error code stored in the onboard computer.

Anyone else experienced this? or heard of similar stories?
Old 02-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
I hear these stories all the time, typically on Friday and just after the pubs have closed, folks are pissed and their car wont start---most of the time the car does start when the owner realizes that he is trying to start his girlfriends car with his key or he is on a tractor and trying to start-----your issue is rare--broad daylight and no reported booz--that's a tough one--you may want to trade the car too many problems!!
Old 02-28-2017, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Reconnected the battery? Is it possible one of the terminals were loose?
Old 02-28-2017, 02:48 PM

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C43
Door didn't close fully? Does our cars have auto interior light shutoff when on for more then 1hr?
Old 02-28-2017, 09:21 PM

Received 106 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
^ Faulty door sensor is probably good line of thinking, but you should still be able to start the car or manually bring the COMAND system to life. Did you try using the key in the dash as well as the keyless go?

I reckon go see someone who has Xentry and get a print-out of the full diagnostic quick test report for reference. The modules report on exact odometer time/date for even minor hiccups. It would be really surprising to not see anything at all on that report.

Fingers crossed it won't return Croc. Doesn't sound like the sort of issue you want a repeat of in traffic.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:28 AM

C250
Originally Posted by Mike5215
Reconnected the battery? Is it possible one of the terminals were loose?
Not possible as I said many of the electronics were still working.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:30 AM

C250
Originally Posted by stockbmw
Door didn't close fully? Does our cars have auto interior light shutoff when on for more then 1hr?
Its not flat battery if thats what you are suggesting.

As I said, the car did start initially, but Comand didn't turn ON. Other electronics including climate control were still working.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:32 AM

C250
Originally Posted by DBOC205
^ Faulty door sensor is probably good line of thinking, but you should still be able to start the car or manually bring the COMAND system to life. Did you try using the key in the dash as well as the keyless go?

I reckon go see someone who has Xentry and get a print-out of the full diagnostic quick test report for reference. The modules report on exact odometer time/date for even minor hiccups. It would be really surprising to not see anything at all on that report.

Fingers crossed it won't return Croc. Doesn't sound like the sort of issue you want a repeat of in traffic.
Would an authorised MB dealer have Xentry? Thats where I had mine inspected. I am booked to go back in mid March and they would like to keep the car for a couple of days.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Croc
Not possible as I said many of the electronics were still working.
It's actually very possible. A loose terminal can draw enough voltage to run some of the accessories but not enough amps to start the car
Old 03-01-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 106 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Would an authorised MB dealer have Xentry? Thats where I had mine inspected. I am booked to go back in mid March and they would like to keep the car for a couple of days.
Oh yea, of course they have Xentry. That's the software suite which interfaces with the car for all things software related to the car modules. They will use a multiplexer (which hooks to the OBD port) and then that talks (mostly wireless these days) to a computer running Xentry Diagnostics.

Most dealers just don't let you peer over their shoulder whilst they use it however because it's done inside the workshop where they don't like folks wandering about. You could ask for a printout of the "Quick Test Log" though (it should be about 8 pages in length, showing each module, software etc, plus not only faults but also 'event' conditions which fall outside of normal parameters and they're all logged in each of the modules). If you want a sample PM me. The problem is that you can clear the fault log to see if anything new comes up when running a new suite of tests. If they do that then you're back to square one and you'll have to wait until your problem occurs again.

Last edited by DBOC205; 03-01-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:54 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
also possible to have a battery showing 12.7v static but not be able to provide the CCA to start the car.

Recharge if possible, replace if not.

I have had new batteries under warranty on the last 2 mercs, despite recharging monthly on the wife's car and weekly on mine..

Dash cam's with parked recording timers and battery savers still pull the battery down... which combined with many short trips can bugger them up..

I have had no issues since and maintaining a recharge regime.. (peace of mind really)..
Old 03-02-2017, 12:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Benz
I had a similar situation happen but it wasn't as serious as yours. I started my car one night and the Command didn't turn on. I tried to turn it on manually via button and nada. The car ran fine but the backup camera obviously didn't engage cause the screen wasn't on. Audio and climate control worked fine.

I was in a rush, so I drove to my destination and parked. After an hour, I turned my car back on and everything worked fine. Weird..only happened once *knock on wood*.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:42 AM

C250
Originally Posted by Mike5215
It's actually very possible. A loose terminal can draw enough voltage to run some of the accessories but not enough amps to start the car
Ok, but you would think if there is any voltage, the first thing that should work is the hazard light?
Old 03-02-2017, 04:44 AM

C250
Originally Posted by DBOC205
Oh yea, of course they have Xentry. That's the software suite which interfaces with the car for all things software related to the car modules. They will use a multiplexer (which hooks to the OBD port) and then that talks (mostly wireless these days) to a computer running Xentry Diagnostics.

Most dealers just don't let you peer over their shoulder whilst they use it however because it's done inside the workshop where they don't like folks wandering about. You could ask for a printout of the "Quick Test Log" though (it should be about 8 pages in length, showing each module, software etc, plus not only faults but also 'event' conditions which fall outside of normal parameters and they're all logged in each of the modules). If you want a sample PM me. The problem is that you can clear the fault log to see if anything new comes up when running a new suite of tests. If they do that then you're back to square one and you'll have to wait until your problem occurs again.
I did get a quick browser of the test report on Monday. It was quite a few pages, and every test had a passed mark.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:46 AM

C250
Originally Posted by Shadwell
also possible to have a battery showing 12.7v static but not be able to provide the CCA to start the car.

Recharge if possible, replace if not.

I have had new batteries under warranty on the last 2 mercs, despite recharging monthly on the wife's car and weekly on mine..

Dash cam's with parked recording timers and battery savers still pull the battery down... which combined with many short trips can bugger them up..

I have had no issues since and maintaining a recharge regime.. (peace of mind really)..
Road assistance was able to get the car to start simply by reconnecting the battery. No recharge was done. The car was also driven the day before, and serviced only 1 week earlier. I highly doubt it was the battery.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:48 AM

C250
Originally Posted by JBMCL
I had a similar situation happen but it wasn't as serious as yours. I started my car one night and the Command didn't turn on. I tried to turn it on manually via button and nada. The car ran fine but the backup camera obviously didn't engage cause the screen wasn't on. Audio and climate control worked fine.

I was in a rush, so I drove to my destination and parked. After an hour, I turned my car back on and everything worked fine. Weird..only happened once *knock on wood*.
Sounded like a lucky escape!

There is another difference - I couldn't get audio to work in mine, given its part of Comand. So not sure how your audio was working? maybe your Comand was ON, just not the screen.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Benz
Sounded like a lucky escape!

There is another difference - I couldn't get audio to work in mine, given its part of Comand. So not sure how your audio was working? maybe your Comand was ON, just not the screen.
Yeah. It seemed like most, if not all the functions was on/working but the screen wouldn't turn on.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:01 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2015 C250 AMG Line, Vision, COMMAND, Seat Comfort, Driver Assistance, Parking Assistance W205
Fire risk after the vehicle not starting has lead to a Worldwide recall :s

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...fire-risk.html
Old 03-04-2017, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Ok, but you would think if there is any voltage, the first thing that should work is the hazard light?
Who knows. You'd think so but Mercedes electronics are cluster f to troubleshoot. Their one saving grace is that they normally trigger a fault code, but yours didn't.