C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Solutions for some of these rattles and creaks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 Mercedes AMG Line
Originally Posted by Waylon Zeng
Update 2: I fixed maybe 80% of the creaking noise coming from the arm rests by spraying silicone in every nook and crevice around the arm rests. This also included the arm rest itself where the pleather meets plastic. I couldn't eliminate it completely since the arm rests themselves are bound to the door trim with rivets so they will be looser regardless of how much silicon lubricant I put on.

I went to another dealership and they sprayed a similar compound on all the door gaskets, which definitely helped with the door creaks.

I adjusted the plastic cover inside the hood, which seemed to have made it better, but if it keeps rattling, I'll need to put some felt tape on a few areas. Unfortunately, this one is purely temperature-dependent.

I don't think I mentioned it here, but I also solved a rear seat rattle yesterday which turned out to be a piece of plastic vibrating against the metal chassis right behind the seats. I had to toy around with that and apply felt tape.

At the end of the day, if the noise is obvious and you don't want to bother doing the work yourself or you don't have the right materials, go to the dealership. Otherwise, you're better off solving these rattles yourself. I've complained to different dealerships about these problems and they either couldn't replicate them or said they wouldn't cover it due to my exhaust modifications. But with a bit of handiwork, I covered it myself with no issues.
HI there, when you say the plastic cover inside the hood and right side cover, what you mean. Also sorry if this sounds to be a stupid question but when you say spraying armrest with silicon will that not ruin the armrest including the material.,Can you tell me exactly which cover and in hood meaning the boot or in bonnet. I just brought the w205 2015 model part exchanging my lovely w204 amg sport plus 2013 model and after all this issues i am so much regreting this. There was nothing wrong with my old one and now i am thinking why i even thought about changing. I have only had the new car for 2 days and already its driving me mad. The complete excitement for getting a new car is now no longer exciting.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 C300 Sport
I'm also curious which covers under the hood (bonnet). I've got what sounds like a mechanical rattle from the front on rough pavement. But if it turned out to be a cover, that could be an easy fix.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:57 AM

W205 Mercedes AMG Line
Originally Posted by MBSebas87
Can someone provide a link to the type of felt tape dealer uses? Looking for 1/2 in but don't know how thick it should be ...
HI Mate, i just got mine from Amazon and you can get from ebay. Just search
Anti Squeak Anti Rattle Self Adhesive Felt Tape Anti Squeak Anti Rattle Self Adhesive Felt Tape
Old 04-08-2019, 06:09 AM

W205 Mercedes AMG Line
Hi XClream

Can you send me proper images of this as its hard to make out which way you have applied the tape.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes Benz C250 Sedan 2012
Hello Everybody! Quite extensive knowledge you have all thrown in here! I personally own a 2012 W204 C250 and it was assembled in South Africa, which is making me wonder if creaks and rattles were less present on German or the US assembled models.

Regardless of that, I seem to be totally unable to pinpoint the rattles that are coming from somewhere behind the front seats. Every time I go over a mildly bumpy road it's like plastic chattering (slightly moving back and forth in a loose manner) I have tried to push with finger to find certain stress points but had no success. And yes it is not the seatbelt that is rattling I can assure you.

I will keep following this thread as well as create one specific for the W204 and incorporate all your tips from here
Old 04-20-2019, 10:16 PM

Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
‘15 C300 4M Sport, ‘20 GLC300
Originally Posted by bigab24
Hello Everybody! Quite extensive knowledge you have all thrown in here! I personally own a 2012 W204 C250 and it was assembled in South Africa, which is making me wonder if creaks and rattles were less present on German or the US assembled models.

Regardless of that, I seem to be totally unable to pinpoint the rattles that are coming from somewhere behind the front seats. Every time I go over a mildly bumpy road it's like plastic chattering (slightly moving back and forth in a loose manner) I have tried to push with finger to find certain stress points but had no success. And yes it is not the seatbelt that is rattling I can assure you.

I will keep following this thread as well as create one specific for the W204 and incorporate all your tips from here
Headrests? Try giving the drivers seat a punch. My headrest had little plastic pieces in it.
The following users liked this post:
bigab24 (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 02:54 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
C400
I've noticed a plastic-on-plastic creak coming from the steering column whenever turning or going over bumps. Anyone else have this issue, or have any tips on silencing this?

Thanks
Old 04-30-2019, 12:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C400
Originally Posted by DylanM
I've noticed a plastic-on-plastic creak coming from the steering column whenever turning or going over bumps. Anyone else have this issue, or have any tips on silencing this?

Thanks
I have this same issue and it drives me crazy.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:57 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 C300 Sport
Always had a bit of noise from the pano roof.

2 weekends ago, it decided to refuse to close, would go about 95% shut (almost to the vent position) & would bounce back an inch or two.
Warranty replacement on both roof rails. So far, completely silent & a bit quieter in open/close operation.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:40 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
C400
Originally Posted by C400Benzeno
I have this same issue and it drives me crazy.
Fixed it!

Turns out there were two separate sources - one was the steering wheel housing, and the other...you won't believe it...was the accelerator pedal housing!

For the steering housing, I used a plastic conditioner and a dropper to lubricate the seams. And a thorough clean and 303 Aerospace on the pedal housing silenced the creak resonating from the footwell.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:52 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 C300 Coupe AMG Sport Package
Now my driver side window is rattling! Ya'lllllllll, $60,000 and this is what we get?! Come on Mercedes!!
Old 06-03-2019, 09:03 PM

I’ve had my car back for one day and the gauge cluster and passenger seat (sounds like the headrest) are still rattling away
Old 07-10-2019, 02:14 PM

Seat is rattling again! Something in the dash around the center control panel area is rattling off and on and my shift stick is rattling. I am so over driving a $60,000 car that sounds like junk!! I really do not think that I will purchase another Mercedes vehicle again and I've owned three!I am so sick of my brand new car staying in the shop!

And what would be the point in filing for lemon law when the dealership states that all new C300s have the same issues?!

Is this not grounds for a recall of all new C300s?

Old 07-10-2019, 08:43 PM

W205 C300
Originally Posted by Brittnie Jane
Seat is rattling again! Something in the dash around the center control panel area is rattling off and on and my shift stick is rattling. I am so over driving a $60,000 car that sounds like junk!! I really do not think that I will purchase another Mercedes vehicle again and I've owned three!I am so sick of my brand new car staying in the shop!

And what would be the point in filing for lemon law when the dealership states that all new C300s have the same issues?!

Is this not grounds for a recall of all new C300s?
I have had my C300 in the shop for 3 weeks for rattling and noises. The car was silent and then I noticed the door was making weird noise. I took it to another dealer and turns out the rubber was not making full contact and kept my car for another 3 days. You are not alone!!
Old 11-06-2020, 07:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C220d
Hello,w205 owner here.

After a year of use i've noticed all kind of sounds inside during driving(our Croatian roads are.,...on the bad side)....went to sound isolating jihad(aka holy war lol)

Located 4 main sources of squeaks:

Piano black console/command display.
Casing of cluster gauges(loudest)
Prolly a glovebox but still to investigate more
Doors(sometimes),usually during SHARP turns or fast acceleration/breaking

Till i find where to buy felt tapes in Croatia i played around command display and found a quick and cheap solution,dunno how to say it on English: tiny rubbers

One longer for whole circle around diplay/dashboard joing...it will almost completely slip inside that joint,then i took two black,shorter ones and padded that slip ins from passenger side and driver side(more demanding due to steering wheel in the way.

Aesthetic is great u don't see them,rattles and squeaks from smaller bumps completely eliminated from the center part of the cabin.

Now God help me with others
CA_E55 (11-06-2020)
Old 04-19-2021, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C400
I’m surprised no one has mentioned the tow hook rear trunk rattle, or the rear parking sensor lights on the headliner. Those two plagued my life for over a year!

I have replaced both front headrests which was $500+ (got a bit of a discount cause I complained to MBCanada). I have paid for 2.5 hours labour to get creeks dealt with on the upper B pillar panel where the seat belt comes out of (I ended up taking it off and re doing it anyways), the rear console vents and the front centre cup holders. Approx $350 for that and also another $80 for sunroof spray by MB (LOL, although it fixed the rattling pano)

Then I gave up with the dealership. Bought tons of felt tape and went nuts. I’m telling you, you can fix most of them! You don’t have to deal with it.

For the screen I stacked a bunch of felt on top of each other like previously mentioned in the forum, for the cluster I stuffed felt tape anywhere I could between the top of the cluster and the tip of the dashboard, and wherever else the silver pieces in the cluster creaked.

For the centre console the black plastic band that goes around the whole thing was creaking every time my knee hit it, leaned on it, took a turn, went over rough roads etc. I stacked two layers of felt and wedged it in the gap that the ambient light comes out of, in a few spots (specifically where my knee hit and closer the where it ends by the centre armrest lid). But the main place it creaks from is the point it meets the silver piece with the button to open the centre armrest lid. I wedged a bunch of felt underneath that corner of the silver piece, especially closer to the hinges of the centre armrest lid.

Tow hook rattle you can hear if you tap between where your rear speakers are (under the rear window) you can also replicate this sound by tapping the metal directly underneath this part from the trunk. The tow hook is mounted on the top left of your trunk and is held on by one T20 screw. There are plastic ridges that touched the metal at the top of the trunk, put thick felt tape on the three sections and reinstall. Never thought it would be a tow hook holder causing so much noise, EVERY TIME I went over a bump I just heard a bang/rattle in the back for over a year. It became part of my life.

Rear parking sensor light that you see in rear view mirror mounted on headliner. It was rattling over bumps, I found two separate spots (one directly underneath and one to the right), stuffed THICK layers between headliner and roof by the edge of the rear window. While I was in the vicinity, I put felt where the rear plastic speaker covers meet the edge of the headliner as well. This was more of a tingy sound that just sounds like cheap plastic, you’ll know it as soon as you tap the thing hanging on the headliner.

It is finally drivable without music!

I waited a few weeks before I posted to make sure, now the only thing I have is the driver window rattle after driving for over 30 mins. It rattles a little but goes away as soon as I put the window down the slightest bit. Anyone have any suggestions for that?

If anyone needs any pictures to get a better understanding, please let me know.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:27 AM

2016 w205 c200d sedan
There is a rattling noise coming from the rear seat area, it is coming from the cup holder or under the rear seat going over speed bumps or potholes in the road. I tried to find the source of the sound but could not figure it out. Although I removed the seated part of the rear seat, I could not find the source of the sound.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:05 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 C300
Originally Posted by tigu23
There is a rattling noise coming from the rear seat area, it is coming from the cup holder or under the rear seat going over speed bumps or potholes in the road. I tried to find the source of the sound but could not figure it out. Although I removed the seated part of the rear seat, I could not find the source of the sound.
I think I may be having a similar problem in mine...

Did you try checking the passenger head rest? You can lean the seat all the way back and remove the headrest. Shake it to see if you can hear a plastic piece rattling in there.

Also look into the rear headliner where it meets the rear windshield. Mine has a little play when I push it up, but I am not sure if it causes any issues.
tigu23 (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 02:57 PM

2016 w205 c200d sedan
Originally Posted by DYC300
I think I may be having a similar problem in mine...

Did you try checking the passenger head rest? You can lean the seat all the way back and remove the headrest. Shake it to see if you can hear a plastic piece rattling in there.

Also look into the rear headliner where it meets the rear windshield. Mine has a little play when I push it up, but I am not sure if it causes any issues.
Hi!
Passenger and the driver head rests were changed by dealer about a year ago because of trim noise. I also checked the rear headliner, yes it has a minimal movement when I push it up but may be this is normal. On the road the trim sound coming from the middle of the back seat is like: "click- click- click". I suspected also from rear seat belt buckles which are over the seat and their inner mechanism. I am planning to spray some silicon oil into the seat belt buckles.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:04 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 C300
Originally Posted by tigu23
Hi!
Passenger and the driver head rests were changed by dealer about a year ago because of trim noise. I also checked the rear headliner, yes it has a minimal movement when I push it up but may be this is normal. On the road the trim sound coming from the middle of the back seat is like: "click- click- click". I suspected also from rear seat belt buckles which are over the seat and their inner mechanism. I am planning to spray some silicon oil into the seat belt buckles.
Any luck with this?
Old 09-30-2021, 07:37 AM

2016 w205 c200d sedan
Originally Posted by DYC300
Any luck with this?
I've been testing it for a few days after applying the silicone spray to the inner mechanism and also applied a piece of sponge tape to the button under the seat belt buckle. I applied this to all three belt buttons on the back and haven't heard any sound from around the back seat for about three days. I think I solved the problem!

If there is no sound, I will change the tape with a black one in the future.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
NA2025
so what yall recommend for diy? furniture pad, foam tape? link
Old 10-06-2021, 02:53 AM

2016 w205 c200d sedan
Originally Posted by lieu
so what yall recommend for diy? furniture pad, foam tape? link
You can use all of them, but I think a small black furniture pad will be the best.
Old 10-06-2021, 03:36 PM

Received 183 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
I often use the "fuzzy" part of a velcro set. Easy to get, good adhesive, cheap.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:41 AM

E250 coupe
Centre console rattle fix tips.

A couple of things that cleared up a lot of rattling on my 2017 c class.

1) Tighten the 4 bolts in the engine bay that hood two bars in that stop the car twisting. See picture. That was a massive help.

2) Remove centre console (easy see YouTube as multi pal examples. Look at the back of the CD and Temperature panels. They are clipped in and Mercedes’ don’t put in the 8 or so screws. The screw holes are left empty!!!!! Buy some small 1cm long screws and fit them. Works a dream! Would love to k ow why they are not installed in the first place. The crews I bought was a selection box of self tappers (originally for something else) but they worked well. And you get different lengths to try. Search up james wheeler on Facebook if you want to talk about it. I also installed a sub and amp in to the c class if you want some advice

Two metal braces run from the fire wall out to the wings. The bolts will be loose if tested with a decent size ratchet. Undo all four, for good practice silicone spray the bolts. Then do all four up super tight. It is not that these rattle when loose, but rather it allows engine bay twist which then rattles the plastics together around the window and dash inside the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Solutions for some of these rattles and creaks?