C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Lowering links for airmatic...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 c300
Exclamation Lowering links for airmatic...

Thinking about getting a set of lowering links for my c300 with airmatic.
Looks like most recommend getting it fine-tuned and adjusted using the dealer Star/Xentry calibration? Is this required?

My dealer is not open to helping me with this at all, so I wouldn't have access to that.

Are there any diy or videos on the install?
Thanks!!
Old 04-05-2017, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
It's either/or. STAR can manipulate the data from the ride height to an extent but the most it will get you is an inch of drop. It's meant as a fine calibration tool. Dealers won't do it. You need a willing Indie shop.

The links require no programming or dealer involvement. They attach to the ride height sensors and physically manipulate the data. They "trick" the AirMatic controller into believing the car is sitting too high, and it responds by lowering the car.

By changing the length of the links you can set the ride height wherever you want it. I've dropped a 220 S Class on links and it's a very easy process you can do in your driveway. The Ghostlinks can be adjusted in place. AAR links have to be popped off first, at least the ones I had.

But:

-The car reduces ride height by reducing the amount of air in the air springs. The less air, the stiffer the ride. A drop plus a Plus 1 or Plus 2 wheel size will significantly affect the ride.

-Regardless of how careful you are, at some point you'll probably forget and run the lowered front into something.

-At some point you'll probably forget and bottom out on a speed bump, or a driveway with a steep enough grade.

-Once you settle on a height, get the car re-aligned.

My personal recommendation is to do a modest drop via DAS at an Indie, get the car realigned and be done with it. Skip the links.