C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Weistec ECU Tune - C450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
19 C43 Wagon, 16 C450 AMG, 13 C350, 99 ML320 on 20's
Weistec ECU Tune - C450

Hello,

I just noticed on the Weistec website that there's an option for an ECU tune. They don't list any numbers or price, but when I called they said it will be out in a month or two.
My question is, do I go with the OE Tune or wait it out for the Weistec Tune? What's everyone's thoughts on these two companies??

Thanks in advance....
Old 04-05-2017, 06:18 PM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
Did you get any price info? If so, what? We might infer something from the price.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:22 PM

No price or dyno numbers. I guess my question is, what company do you think is better to go with? I know that Weistec has done a lot of C63's and E63's with great results.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:24 PM
Former Member

CLS
I don't think you can even speculate until some specs come out.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
First off - I'm second to none when it comes to 450/43 tune research (up until January when I purchased mine).

Now, Weistec makes GREAT downpipes. Mine are amazing and it was and still is shocking to me that a company would offer such a quality part(s) for a german car brand at such a great price.

BUT, out of all the research that I conducted, one thing was agreed upon by everyone, and that is only buy hardware through Weistec. A lot of horror stories in regards to their software for previous generations and models. Perhaps that has changed since, but I wouldn't risk it unless their headquarters is down the block from your house.

As far as what software you should go with, I'd say it depends on your location and what you want. IMO, you have 3 choices. BMS, OE-Tuning, & AMR.

BMS - If you just want a piggy-back and don't want to go full tune.

OE/AMR - If you want a full tune. If one company is MUCH closer to you, then I would lean towards that for simplicity down the road in regards to shipping the ECU back and forth (you may have to do this more than once).

Final thoughts:
-I suggest going full tune. If you're a red-blooded-mod bug bitten-american like myself, you'll always want more; and with a full tune, you'll know that that is pretty much the furthest you can go at this point. Until they develop a turbo upgrade.
-Both of these companies make similar power @ stage 2 (tune+DPs). But if you're not going to put DPs in, then AMR makes a decent amount more power @ stage 1.

Happy modding
Old 04-05-2017, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by sean1.8t
First off - I'm second to none when it comes to 450/43 tune research (up until January when I purchased mine).

Now, Weistec makes GREAT downpipes. Mine are amazing and it was and still is shocking to me that a company would offer such a quality part(s) for a german car brand at such a great price.

BUT, out of all the research that I conducted, one thing was agreed upon by everyone, and that is only buy hardware through Weistec. A lot of horror stories in regards to their software for previous generations and models. Perhaps that has changed since, but I wouldn't risk it unless their headquarters is down the block from your house.

As far as what software you should go with, I'd say it depends on your location and what you want. IMO, you have 3 choices. BMS, OE-Tuning, & AMR.

BMS - If you just want a piggy-back and don't want to go full tune.

OE/AMR - If you want a full tune. If one company is MUCH closer to you, then I would lean towards that for simplicity down the road in regards to shipping the ECU back and forth (you may have to do this more than once).

Final thoughts:
-I suggest going full tune. If you're a red-blooded-mod bug bitten-american like myself, you'll always want more; and with a full tune, you'll know that that is pretty much the furthest you can go at this point. Until they develop a turbo upgrade.
-Both of these companies make similar power @ stage 2 (tune+DPs). But if you're not going to put DPs in, then AMR makes a decent amount more power @ stage 1.

Happy modding
Thanks for the quick reply!!!

I currently have a stage 2 tune with Weistec downpipes. It's produces ok numbers, but the company that did the tune can't get rid of the CEL light. Because of this, I'm losing a lot of the crackle and exhaust pops.
I live in Canada, so either company works as it has to get sent over the border regardless.....

I'm leaning towards the OE tune but not sure of the stage 2 numbers. Has anyone put their car on a dyno with our setup?? I'm also kicking myself as I didn't take adavatange of the Black Friday sale they had on!!

Thanks,
Old 04-05-2017, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Well good grief. That information would have been helpful before I typed all of that out

put that info in your sig or something so people know what's going on.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:14 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
'16 GLC300
uh what.. don;t know what you're asking then.

I have a weistec tune for my m274 2.0T motor and it feels pretty good. no issues at all.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 AMG C43
Sean, thanks for the insight.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:55 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S
Very interested to hear more of your well researched thoughts (or anyone else's) as I am at the beginning stages of evaluating tuning options. So piggybacks are self-installed by connecting to sensors while ecu flashes require shipping the ecu back forth, correct? I know there's a chance I ultimately reverse course, but I want to try a self-installed option to start (that doesn't require shipping ECU).

I have seen a lot of tuning options around including BMS, OE, AMR, Dinan, Renntech, Vivid, and Kleeman. Am I correct that the primary piggyback options are BMS, Dinan, Vivid and Kleeman?

I have seen discussion of some of the tuning options eliminating or greatly reducing the exhaust crackle which I definitely don't want to do. Of the piggyback options, are any particularly good about not messing with the crackle or particularly bad about reducing it?

The BMS and Dinan are significantly cheaper than Vivid and Kleeman and the gains appear to be in the same ballpark. That being the case, is there any reason not to go with BMS or Dinan? And any thoughts on how those two compare?
Old 04-06-2017, 11:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Slightly confused OP. You were inquiring about getting Weistec tune for the 450, but then said you already have stage 2 tune? Is that on a diff car?
Old 04-06-2017, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by mhenry
Slightly confused OP. You were inquiring about getting Weistec tune for the 450, but then said you already have stage 2 tune? Is that on a diff car?
I currently have a stage 2 tune on my C450 with Weistec downpipes. The tune was done in Canada but the tuner can't get rid of the CEL light, and I lost most of the crackle and exhaust pops. Now I'm considering sending my ECU to another company (OE or Weistec).
I've seen on the Weistec website that they will have a tune within a month or two. At the end of the day, I wanted to know which company has the best reputation with regards to tuning Mercedes Benz cars....

Thanks!!
Old 04-06-2017, 11:42 AM
Former Member

CLS
Originally Posted by jherm
Very interested to hear more of your well researched thoughts (or anyone else's) as I am at the beginning stages of evaluating tuning options. So piggybacks are self-installed by connecting to sensors while ecu flashes require shipping the ecu back forth, correct? I know there's a chance I ultimately reverse course, but I want to try a self-installed option to start (that doesn't require shipping ECU).

I have seen a lot of tuning options around including BMS, OE, AMR, Dinan, Renntech, Vivid, and Kleeman. Am I correct that the primary piggyback options are BMS, Dinan, Vivid and Kleeman?

I have seen discussion of some of the tuning options eliminating or greatly reducing the exhaust crackle which I definitely don't want to do. Of the piggyback options, are any particularly good about not messing with the crackle or particularly bad about reducing it?

The BMS and Dinan are significantly cheaper than Vivid and Kleeman and the gains appear to be in the same ballpark. That being the case, is there any reason not to go with BMS or Dinan? And any thoughts on how those two compare?
I can't compare for you, but the Dinan sport adds a mild effect for chump change, and likely has superior engineering. A Dinan rep here advises it is for the masses, and intended to be sold at Tire Rack!
Old 04-06-2017, 11:43 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
'16 GLC300
Where did you get your stage 2 tune?
Old 04-06-2017, 02:05 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
Originally Posted by chynatown
I currently have a stage 2 tune on my C450 with Weistec downpipes. The tune was done in Canada but the tuner can't get rid of the CEL light, and I lost most of the crackle and exhaust pops. Now I'm considering sending my ECU to another company (OE or Weistec).
I've seen on the Weistec website that they will have a tune within a month or two. At the end of the day, I wanted to know which company has the best reputation with regards to tuning Mercedes Benz cars....

Thanks!!
I would highly recommend choosing AMR Performance. I have their stage 1 and it is phenomenal. I know several people with stage 2 and they do not have any CELs and the crackles are still there. As far as I know AMR is very reputable and have the highest power tune on the market for this platform. Just my two cents, good luck!
Old 04-13-2017, 06:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
'16 C300 (W205 | M274)
Well good grief. That information would have been helpful before I typed all of that out

put that info in your sig or something so people know what's going on.
still worth typing out, helped me a ton.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2017, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by Haptic
still worth typing out, helped me a ton.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2017, 04:15 PM

Dyno complete!!!! I pulled the trigger and sent my ECU to OE tuning. The top 3 results are from a local tuner and the bottom 3 results are from the OE tune.....holy torque Batman:

Weistec ECU Tune - C450-fullsizerender_zps9izordjx.jpg
Old 04-25-2017, 08:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C43
So... this may be a bit Captain Obvious but there's no way your car is making that kind of torque. Something is screwy with the dyno.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Yeah that's not right at all

You should be in the neighborhood of 380whp & 440wtq
Old 04-26-2017, 09:51 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
CL500
Originally Posted by jherm

the Dinan is just fine for a modest performance bump at a great price. And if you want a super easy install and removal the Dinan unit is the way to go. It does what it says it will do, certainly a full flash will yield bigger gains, but for $300 bucks the Dinan unit is pretty decent
Old 04-26-2017, 01:48 PM
SPONSOR

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts
OE Tuning C63 AMG
C450 Stage2 Dyno

Originally Posted by chynatown
Dyno complete!!!! I pulled the trigger and sent my ECU to OE tuning. The top 3 results are from a local tuner and the bottom 3 results are from the OE tune.....holy torque Batman: