C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Brake HOLD problem??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250
Question Brake HOLD problem??

Ok, so I got my new (to me) C250 (2016) just a week ago and use the brake hold function, works great.

However, this morning I was stopped at lights and the engine autostop kicked in, so the engine stopped. I applied the brake HOLD function and all good. The junction was a bit mad, so I was sat there for a bit, then the engine restarted as the autostop timed out and the brakes released and the car started to move forward. Very disconcerting!!!

So at the next lights i did the same again, but this time pressed the deactivate on the autostop and the engine started up, but the brakes remained on!.

So the question is, what is supposed to happen?

I would have thought that the brakes should not release unless i want them too, not when the autostop times out?

What experience do you guys have of this???

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
I've had this...

... I think I ever so slightly pressed the throttle pedal.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:52 PM

C250
I was sat with both feet on the floor, nowhere near the pedals!

Good job i am still getting used to the car and reacted quick to brake again!!

I am going to get my dealer to check it out for me.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Might be worth a trip to the dealer. I've sat with the engine off and hold active and the engine came back on and hold stayed active. One would think this is the way it's intended to operate - not release until you say so. I could be wrong...because German engineering.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:24 PM

C250
My thoughts exactly, i'll get try some more and get it checked at the dealer when i have opportunity, certainly be keeping a wary eye!

I'll report back once i have been to the dealer!
Old 05-12-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Benz
OK! So I'm not crazy!

This happened to me as well. I think it was a couple months into ownership and I didn't use the Brake Hold function much, if at all. One morning, I was at a light and waiting for it to turn green and saw something was stuck on my driver mirror. I put the car in "HOLD" and unbuckled my seat belt and reached for the debris. Suddenly the car disengaged the "HOLD" function and I jerked forward. I quickly slammed on the brakes and luckily I didn't rear-end the person in front. I was an inch or two from it since my front sensors were all red.

Scared the S**T out of me and now I'm always weary on using the "HOLD" function. When I do use it, it stays in place now and it hasn't jerked forward or disengaged the HOLD function ever since that time.

I don't rely on the "HOLD" function anymore and always make sure the car hasn't disengaged, even if I'm using it.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
Originally Posted by JBMCL
OK! So I'm not crazy!

This happened to me as well. I think it was a couple months into ownership and I didn't use the Brake Hold function much, if at all. One morning, I was at a light and waiting for it to turn green and saw something was stuck on my driver mirror. I put the car in "HOLD" and unbuckled my seat belt and reached for the debris. Suddenly the car disengaged the "HOLD" function and I jerked forward. I quickly slammed on the brakes and luckily I didn't rear-end the person in front. I was an inch or two from it since my front sensors were all red.

Scared the S**T out of me and now I'm always weary on using the "HOLD" function. When I do use it, it stays in place now and it hasn't jerked forward or disengaged the HOLD function ever since that time.

I don't rely on the "HOLD" function anymore and always make sure the car hasn't disengaged, even if I'm using it.
Never had the hold function not work. I will say though that auto-stop, stops (so the car starts) if you unbuckle the seat belt.

Wonder if these cases "hold" wasn't actually on and when autostart kicked on, the car moved forward. Once in a while I don't get hold on properly. If the car is auto-stopped, you won't feel that is isn't engaged (you have to be looking for the "hold" in the information center).