C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

ALL RATTLES FIXED BY DEALER!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 02:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300 sedan
Originally Posted by Lionel_Hutz
The service invoice has my personal info and VIN all over, so I'm not going to post it directly. But the sunroof fix (basically clean and lube everything) was the only one that I'd want to tackle myself. Everything else was definitely a dealer fix--I wasn't exaggerating when I said they put in a week of tech time to tear everything down.
which product did you use for the lube? I have some left over gummi pflege that I use for door seals. Can you tell me where you cleaned it? Or main points of contact? Thanks!
Old 06-22-2017, 04:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by l3gendary
which product did you use for the lube? I have some left over gummi pflege that I use for door seals. Can you tell me where you cleaned it? Or main points of contact? Thanks!
I didn't do anything, it was the dealer.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by Lionel_Hutz
The service invoice has my personal info and VIN all over, so I'm not going to post it directly. But the sunroof fix (basically clean and lube everything) was the only one that I'd want to tackle myself. Everything else was definitely a dealer fix--I wasn't exaggerating when I said they put in a week of tech time to tear everything down.
I just had the same experience!!!!
10 painful days, but worth it.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:50 PM

Received 359 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by tivoboy
... I also have a very annoying whine between 73-74 mpb. ...
My Canadian 2017 May-delivered C43 had a whine that I noticed during break-in from day 1. The worst was when running at about 83 kph, regardless of running gear and when running at about 50 ft. lb. of torque (by engine data display) -- i.e., it whined incessantly when cruising at certain speeds on a flat road. I notified the dealer but told them I'd leave it 'till the car was broken in and our initial 4K km. trip was done (hoping maybe the gears just needed some wear-in). By that time the whine was at 57 kph, 83 kph, 113 kph, and more. I thought it was strange to have a fairly low-torque-specific whine, but there it was!

I took the car in and the dealer verified the whine during a test drive then tracked the whine (using dyno mode while on hoist) to the rear end (as I'd guessed ... and likely better than the other guess, the power-take-off gearing). MBZ told them to first change the rear-end fluid. That had zero effect (as I guessed it would). Then they replaced the rear-end/differential gears.

I'm still running through some break-in mileage for the new gears, but after a few hundred km., the whine is still gone so it's likely fixed.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2009 C300, 2001 C320 2001 CLK430, 95 E500
Originally Posted by user33
My Canadian 2017 May-delivered C43 had a whine that I noticed during break-in from day 1. The worst was when running at about 83 kph, regardless of running gear and when running at about 50 ft. lb. of torque (by engine data display) -- i.e., it whined incessantly when cruising at certain speeds on a flat road. I notified the dealer but told them I'd leave it 'till the car was broken in and our initial 4K km. trip was done (hoping maybe the gears just needed some wear-in). By that time the whine was at 57 kph, 83 kph, 113 kph, and more. I thought it was strange to have a fairly low-torque-specific whine, but there it was!

I took the car in and the dealer verified the whine during a test drive then tracked the whine (using dyno mode while on hoist) to the rear end (as I'd guessed ... and likely better than the other guess, the power-take-off gearing). MBZ told them to first change the rear-end fluid. That had zero effect (as I guessed it would). Then they replaced the rear-end/differential gears.

I'm still running through some break-in mileage for the new gears, but after a few hundred km., the whine is still gone so it's likely fixed.
so, did that solve it? So they put it up on an ELEVATED dyno?

I haven't been able to find the whine, the last thinking was that maybe it was the BenzConnect Speaker in the middle of the dash, not the integrated speakers for the sound system.

I've also just done an AMG driving academy day at Laguna Seca. Lots of technical course stuff, plus time on the track. At the end of it, on the ride HOME no less, I now have another noise coming from the rear. A wowowowow type of sound coming from seemingly back LEFT not necessarily just BACK Speed changes with speed, so i'm HOPING that maybe it is just all the Klaggg that was built up on the tires (there were a lot of performance cars there with track slicks making quite a klagg strip just outside the optimal line - where I spent some time being a sedan not an SLS, SLR, SL etc. It DID seem to get better after driving about 80 miles home, but it's still there.

I can see the line of klagg mostly on the outside tread line and some inner. It's NOT totally uniform so that could be where this new sound is coming from. It's loud enough to cancel out the typical exhaust throat noise, at least it was at first. I'll give it a week of driving before I take it in for a look see.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2023 EQS 450+ 2022 Kia Carnival
Originally Posted by travistsai
Picked up my C43 back in March 2017. I heard the rattles the moment I drove out the dealership. I knew the W205/C205 platform tend to have a lot of rattles, but the AMG sports suspension made it hella worse than normal C classes. Although I did come from a BMW 5 Series, so my standards for rattles in the interior are rather high.

Anyway, decided to take it into the dealership to fix all the damn rattles. Not only did they fixed the rattles I brought up, they went above and beyond and fixed some that I didn't even know about. However, new rattles came up recently, so I took it in again this Monday, took them 4 days to fix all the rattles. THE CAR IS DEAD SILENT NOW!

I have attached the work order sheet for the rattle repairs, I hope those who are currently struggling with the rattles will find them useful.

Kudos to Mercedes-Benz of Fairfield!
W205 seems to be a kit car or some sort...
It gets completed by a dealer.
Same as my 2016...
all the rattles were fixed by the dealer.
And there are still minor cosmentic issue (lighting) that are going to be addressed by the dealer.
I hope the car is reliable after the warranty though
Old 04-24-2018, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 C43 Sedan
Picked up my C43 back in March 2017. I heard the rattles the moment I drove out the dealership. I knew the W205/C205 platform tend to have a lot of rattles, but the AMG sports suspension made it hella worse than normal C classes. Although I did come from a BMW 5 Series, so my standards for rattles in the interior are rather high.

Anyway, decided to take it into the dealership to fix all the damn rattles. Not only did they fixed the rattles I brought up, they went above and beyond and fixed some that I didn't even know about. However, new rattles came up recently, so I took it in again this Monday, took them 4 days to fix all the rattles. THE CAR IS DEAD SILENT NOW!

I have attached the work order sheet for the rattle repairs, I hope those who are currently struggling with the rattles will find them useful.

oh my gosh, I wish I would have seen this months ago. Leased my 2017 C43 back in July, car has been bank and forth in the shop ast least 6 Times for rattles and other noise issues. Dealer finally gave up as did MB corporate. Now I’m dealing with premature tire wear, at 6500 miles front tires are bald on the outside. Spoke with corporate today, this will help
Old 04-24-2018, 08:50 PM

2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Sam Manuel
Have taken mine to Mercedes of Marin 2 times now and the thing still rattles all the time, every time they give me a lousy excuse with a promise that all is fixed.
Same, car has been back to the dealer 6 times. I finally called MB corporate but all they wanted to do is offer me service or warranty. Dealer just wanted to wash their hands of me. Now dealing with tire issues, called corporate again. I will not back down that easy this time.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E400

Thank you for posting this. It's unbelievably helpful. my E400 has been a constant rattle trap. Sick of hearing service saying "can not duplicate". Bringing this service record with me on my next appointment!
Old 12-10-2019, 10:53 AM

2017 C43 Sedan
Glad you were able to rectify all of the rattles in your C43. I am very happy to be saying goodbye to mine in a month as my lease is ending....First and Last Mercedes for me...Good luck
Old 10-21-2020, 05:47 PM

N/A
Have taken mine to Mercedes of Marin 2 times now and the thing still rattles all the time, every time they give me a lousy excuse with a promise that all is fixed.
Old thread and post I know, but... San Francisco MB sent me on my way with a list of "could not replicate..." notes on the invoice, and as I rattled my way out of their parking lot I considered taking it to Marin MB instead, mostly based on the initial reviews from a quick Google scan, but it looks like that's off the docket now. At this point I'm hoping the OP meant Fairfield CA, in which case I'll drive the hour to see if they can "replicate" his experience with my car.

Also considering Autobahn Motors in San Mateo. Anyone have any shop experience with them to share?
Old 10-21-2020, 06:41 PM
ndr

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C300 Sport
I went to MB Marin for my rattles (there were several) when my car was under warranty. Based on my experience, MB Marin did a thorough job addressing my concerns, as they fixed all existing rattles, and kept my car an additional day to make sure the job was done correctly (it was also there for a B service). I first tried to get my car rattles resolved at MB Pleasanton, and while they were OK, MB Marin was ultimately the dealer that fixed everything for me.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:05 PM

N/A
Originally Posted by ndr
I went to MB Marin for my rattles (there were several) when my car was under warranty. Based on my experience, MB Marin did a thorough job addressing my concerns, as they fixed all existing rattles, and kept my car an additional day to make sure the job was done correctly (it was also there for a B service). I first tried to get my car rattles resolved at MB Pleasanton, and while they were OK, MB Marin was ultimately the dealer that fixed everything for me.
Nice! Thanks for the details; I really was hoping not to have to travel much further than Marin since I've had good experiences with two other dealers there in the past and just sort of presumed the MB dealer would continue that streak. Cheers!
Old 10-22-2020, 12:38 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
c class
Originally Posted by MFed
Old thread and post I know, but... San Francisco MB sent me on my way with a list of "could not replicate..." notes on the invoice, and as I rattled my way out of their parking lot I considered taking it to Marin MB instead, mostly based on the initial reviews from a quick Google scan, but it looks like that's off the docket now. At this point I'm hoping the OP meant Fairfield CA, in which case I'll drive the hour to see if they can "replicate" his experience with my car.

Also considering Autobahn Motors in San Mateo. Anyone have any shop experience with them to share?
sorry I didn’t mean to discourage you ! MB of Marin has good people if you are under warranty give them a chance then drive to Fairfield if they fail , just understand that they seem to follow a script so basically write off your first 2 visits cause they probably won’t do anything but if you are lucky they get It done by your second visit and not third.

check that your passenger headrest isn’t rattling when I found out it was an issue they just ordered a different one but wind issues took several tries and visits otherwise give Fairfield guys a try , they really impressed me and don’t bother with San Mateo ! They are probably too busy like San Francisco so they will just do a hard eye roll as soon as you leave.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:42 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
c class
Originally Posted by ndr

the keeping the car for an additional day is usually because they forgot to do something , I wouldn’t read too much into it lol fit one those things that tracks your car so you can see when the car is started or just a dashcam.

they are good folks but car usually sits untouched , just lucky that my service advisor is honest lol so he tells me when they forget stuff , I think he trusts me probably cause I always give them good survey.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:22 AM

N/A
sorry I didn’t mean to discourage you ! MB of Marin has good people if you are under warranty give them a chance then drive to Fairfield if they fail , just understand that they seem to follow a script so basically write off your first 2 visits cause they probably won’t do anything but if you are lucky they get It done by your second visit and not third.

check that your passenger headrest isn’t rattling when I found out it was an issue they just ordered a different one but wind issues took several tries and visits otherwise give Fairfield guys a try , they really impressed me and don’t bother with San Mateo ! They are probably too busy like San Francisco so they will just do a hard eye roll as soon as you leave.
No worries, I likely missed the full gist of your original post while quickly scanning this thread and I'm honestly glad to hear that my thoughts about MB Marin were at least leaning in the right direction. MB SF was a long shot either way as far as I'm concerned, but I figured I'd at least give them a shot since they're just across town and I'm not at all surprised at the outcome. I'll definitely be giving Marin MB a call soon. Thanks again all!