C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

AerowerkZ Integrated Dashcam Installation and Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
AerowerkZ Integrated Dashcam Installation and Review

Picked this up a few weeks ago and finally got the chance to install it this past weekend. Thought I'd post some thoughts from the install.

The AerowerkZ unit has a slightly different gloss to the plastic. It's definitely glossier than the OEM plastic. If this piece butted up against another piece of OEM plastic, it would likely bother my OCD tendencies, but since it sits on the windshield by itself it's really not noticeable.

AerowerkZ Integrated Dashcam Installation and Review-2w2u8gc.jpg

Start by removing the OEM rain sensor cover. Its pretty easy once you've done it once: there are four pressure clips that hold it to a bracket underneath. You can simply get your fingers behind it, and gently pull down.

AerowerkZ Integrated Dashcam Installation and Review-3yfzet2.jpg

There's then a plastic "collar" that fits around the stalk of the rearview mirror that you need to remove. Without any reference for how to do so, I looked at the AerowerkZ piece to try and figure out how to remove it. After ten minutes trying to remove it, I discovered why this is NOT a good idea: the AerowerkZ piece uses a different method to secure the collar than the OEM piece. The OEM piece has retaining "prongs" that need to be pushed "forward" (toward the windshield) using a small screwdriver to release, while the AW piece uses clips that need to be pushed "in" toward the rearview mirror stalk.

AerowerkZ Integrated Dashcam Installation and Review-ttwgwn1.jpg

AerowerkZ Integrated Dashcam Installation and Review-frnr9ps.jpg

With either type, once the clips are released, the collar slides out.

AerowerkZ Integrated Dashcam Installation and Review-kcg7yjx.jpg

From a wiring perspective, the guide AerowerkZ supplies does a good job showing exactly where to plug into the fuse box on the C205. I didn't even bother taking any pics. The fuse box cover (in case you haven't removed it before) is on the driver's side of the end of the dash. Open the driver's door, and you can pop the cover off with some strong fingers (and maybe a plastic pry tool).

Hook up the three connections from the wiring harness: use a 13mm socket to loosen an existing grounded bolt, put the ground lug from the AW camera ground underneath it, and tighten. Remove the two fuses highlighted in the AW instructions, and replace using the labelled fuse taps.

Run the cable up the A-pillar. It's very easy to simply tuck it behind the pillar. At the top of the pillar, cross over to the headliner. Run it along the front of the headliner, tucking it behind as you go. Once you get to the housing, you may find you have excess cable. I secured it together with a ziptie, and then wrapped some felt tape around it to keep it from rattling.

Plug the cable into the connector on the AW housing lead. It will only go on one way. Mount the housing by pushing it back onto the retaining clips, and then attach the collar.

Power up the ignition, and follow the instructions to download the app and map the WiFi network. You're now up and running.

Very easy, the whole installation shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes.

Only issue I ran into is that in NH, vehicle inspection stickers are placed directly underneath the rearview mirror, EXACTLY where the AW camera lens ends up. I ended up having to scrape my sticker off and place it offset ~4" or so to the passenger side. Can't see it when in the car either way, so again doesn't bother my OCD tendencies too much.

Image quality during the day is good; haven't used it at night yet.

Last edited by nobbyv; 06-06-2017 at 10:32 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by nobbyv:
aarghj (06-27-2017), AerowerkZ (06-27-2017), captret (06-08-2017), Mplayers2006 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 03:52 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes benz c300 2015
how does the video feed look like a night?

How much video time can you get on the 16gb card?

any chance your going to buy the ambient lighting package from aerowerkz?
Old 06-27-2017, 03:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C350
Yes, thank you for the installation walk-through!

Please tell us how the night video quality is.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:25 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Thanks for the instructions OP. Made the decision to get one easy.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W213
Just about to pull the trigger on one of these.

Any feedback after using it for a while?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2017, 11:39 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wizwilson
Just about to pull the trigger on one of these.

Any feedback after using it for a while?

Thanks
Still happy with it. I keep forgetting to gets some pics at night (I don't actually find myself driving at night too often). But overall, I'm happy with it.
The following users liked this post:
wizwilson (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 11:41 AM

W213
That's great, thanks
Old 10-04-2017, 11:44 AM

2016 C300
Originally Posted by nobbyv
The AerowerkZ unit has a slightly different gloss to the plastic. It's definitely glossier than the OEM plastic. If this piece butted up against another piece of OEM plastic, it would likely bother my OCD tendencies, but since it sits on the windshield by itself it's really not noticeable.
Question, any thoughts on repsraying the piece before installation with a SEM spray product that's a better match to the black dash? Not sure if anyone else has done this, but that's one thought I have on correcting the variation in finish.

I really want to install a dashcam, but I'm extremely hesitant on doing so as my biggest fear is breaking a small plastic clip somewhere along the way during the installation.