C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Forget Car Play or Android Auto. This is much better!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
c300
Originally Posted by cidtek
Hey Civics are getting pretty nice these days so no I wouldn't even put that in a Civic
Damn, tough crowd
Old 06-13-2017, 11:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLC43
Originally Posted by NYbenzzz
i wouldn't mind that screen on a honda civic.

but on a benz?

hell no!
Civic has both Android auto and CarPlay.

Not going to fuzz over this, when lease is up, I am sure next MB will have both. If not, may be going back to Audi, the S5 sportback is mighty enticing.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:47 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Always amazes me how quickly the Chinese make this kind of stuff. What gets me though is why they don't put a little more effort into the design of the GUI on those things (i.e. make it look more like the COMAND interface rather than the basic box icons). Considering all the effort that has to go into making a custom form factor, build all the electronics etc and then they reach the software stage and go "meh... that'll do".
Old 06-16-2017, 12:33 PM

c300
Originally Posted by DBOC205
Always amazes me how quickly the Chinese make this kind of stuff. What gets me though is why they don't put a little more effort into the design of the GUI on those things (i.e. make it look more like the COMAND interface rather than the basic box icons). Considering all the effort that has to go into making a custom form factor, build all the electronics etc and then they reach the software stage and go "meh... that'll do".
Keep in mind that it's Android and that's what icons are supposed to look like. Plus, given that they have no brand name, it means that they don't have a reputation to protect, or to keep. It also means there's no budget to play with the software GUI or anything else for that matter. I'm amazed they even ventured to make this thing. The market is so small.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by DBOC205
I agree. I would be in market for one if the GUI looked better. I don't want my nav to look like 2008 with android car play.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:33 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by sunk318
I agree. I would be in market for one if the GUI looked better. I don't want my nav to look like 2008 with android car play.
I believe what the OP posted in Android based, and with Android you can load a different launcher and customize it to your hearts content.

I had an android head unit in my previous vehicle, it was awesome (I can run spotify natively and not have to use my phone to stream it).
Old 06-19-2017, 01:30 PM

c300
Originally Posted by mau108
I believe what the OP posted in Android based, and with Android you can load a different launcher and customize it to your hearts content.

I had an android head unit in my previous vehicle, it was awesome (I can run spotify natively and not have to use my phone to stream it).
As with any product, no matter how good it is, there are going to be people who love it and there are going to be people who hate it. That's understandable. Different strokes for different folks. For me, I've been really happy. I love the fact that I'm not fixed to a set of navigation suite and multimedia player. I can use Sygic today. Tomorrow it could be Google Maps. The day after could be anything. Everyday I could change it to something new. Like today, I don't feel like working at all. So, I set my wallpaper to the beach. It kinda helps with the mood

Old 06-19-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by huyuci
As with any product, no matter how good it is, there are going to be people who love it and there are going to be people who hate it. That's understandable. Different strokes for different folks. For me, I've been really happy. I love the fact that I'm not fixed to a set of navigation suite and multimedia player. I can use Sygic today. Tomorrow it could be Google Maps. The day after could be anything. Everyday I could change it to something new. Like today, I don't feel like working at all. So, I set my wallpaper to the beach. It kinda helps with the mood

https://youtu.be/5SgVqZ1pTyw
Any chance you can post more videos of you using the system etc...? Also, are you able to use the knob and touchpad to interact with the system? And are you able to access the OEM system?
Old 06-19-2017, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by alyshehata
Any chance you can post more videos of you using the system etc...? Also, are you able to use the knob and touchpad to interact with the system? And are you able to access the OEM system?
+1
Old 06-19-2017, 04:49 PM

c300
Originally Posted by alyshehata
Will do. But earlier in the thread, I have a video that shows how I switched back and forth between the OEM screen and aftermarket screen.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Will do. But earlier in the thread, I have a video that shows how I switched back and forth between the OEM screen and aftermarket screen.
So on the OEM screen I'm guessing the track pad and COMAND wheel functions normally, but it's strictly a touchscreen in Android mode? Or no...
Old 06-19-2017, 06:46 PM

c300
Originally Posted by Mike5215
So on the OEM screen I'm guessing the track pad and COMAND wheel functions normally, but it's strictly a touchscreen in Android mode? Or no...
Yep. That is exactly right.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Yep. That is exactly right.
- Can you split screen the OEM screens and the aftermarket screens?
- Can you use the equalizer with the OEM sources or does it completely replace the Sirius radio, cf slot, etc., If you want any of its functionality?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
There's likely no integration. The screen can either pass through the OEM video signal or toggle over to the Android screen. Two independent systems sharing one display. The Android EQ will affect audio playing from within the Android environment only, and COMAND's EQ only will apply to sources within COMAND.

I don't believe the Android system, which looks like it's completely self contained within the screen, would have access to any of the car's media slots, but there may be a way to load media onto it on the hardware itself.

Last edited by Mike5215; 06-19-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
There's likely no integration. The screen can either pass through the OEM video signal or toggle over to the Android screen. Two independent systems sharing one display. The Android EQ will affect audio playing from within the Android environment only, and COMAND's EQ only will apply to sources within COMAND.

I don't believe the Android system, which looks like it's completely self contained within the screen, would have access to any of the car's media slots, but there may be a way to load media onto it on the hardware itself.
I'm sure you are right, however, as one source is external and the other internal, I wonder if it can be split screened as video aux would be....
Old 06-20-2017, 04:31 PM

c300

That is correct. The 2 screens are completely independent from each other, so there is no sharing resources between the 2. You toggle from Android screen to OEM and back. There are 3 USB ports and 1 microSD slot, but the slot is kind of inaccessible. It also has its own bluetooth.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 250
That is correct. The 2 screens are completely independent from each other, so there is no sharing resources between the 2. You toggle from Android screen to OEM and back. There are 3 USB ports and 1 microSD slot, but the slot is kind of inaccessible. It also has its own bluetooth.
How does the audio output from the Android box get connected to the car speaker system? Is it via Bluetooth or does it require an Aux connection?
Would be helpful if you can kindly post the user or installation manual.
Thanks!
Old 08-10-2017, 12:25 PM

c300
Originally Posted by 6699
How does the audio output from the Android box get connected to the car speaker system? Is it via Bluetooth or does it require an Aux connection?
Would be helpful if you can kindly post the user or installation manual.
Thanks!
There's a cable that connects the head unit (require removing the center console) to a controller box and from the controller box to the screen. It also has bluetooth so you can connect to your phone. This stuff is made in China. So, it's unrealistic to expect a user manual :-)
Old 08-12-2017, 01:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Honestly, I felt the same way at first, that the screen is too stretched. But after a while, it's become normal to me. It's pretty much the same way you would feel when you switched from standard TV to widescreen TV.
Not really. The video is hugely distorted to stretch for the wide aspect ratio. They even stretched the GUI. Going from SD TV to HD TV does not distort the picture, unless you stretch the picture to fill up the 16x9 screen - which is a stupid thing to do. Why would anybody intentionally distort the picture. This screen would drive me nuts!
Old 08-12-2017, 01:30 PM

c300
Originally Posted by hpilot
Not really. The video is hugely distorted to stretch for the wide aspect ratio. They even stretched the GUI. Going from SD TV to HD TV does not distort the picture, unless you stretch the picture to fill up the 16x9 screen - which is a stupid thing to do. Why would anybody intentionally distort the picture. This screen would drive me nuts!
"Would" as in you haven't really experienced it, but think it will. and even if you have, I guess different strokes for different folks. It doesn't bother me, and I've been staring at the stretched OEM Mercedes screen for the last few months. The added features and capabilities of Android outweighs the cons. Nothing is perfect. I used to try to install an Android tablet to my BMW 3 series. So, this is like a dream come true for me.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:04 PM

GLC 250
There's a cable that connects the head unit (require removing the center console) to a controller box and from the controller box to the screen. It also has bluetooth so you can connect to your phone. This stuff is made in China. So, it's unrealistic to expect a user manual :-)
Hmmm...I think it is connecting via the AUX input of the factory head unit. Do you have to select AUX media input on your oem screen to play the audio from the android box?

Btw is your oem head unit Comand or Audio 20?
Old 08-18-2017, 10:01 PM

c300
Hmmm...I think it is connecting via the AUX input of the factory head unit. Do you have to select AUX media input on your oem screen to play the audio from the android box?

Btw is your oem head unit Comand or Audio 20?
If you have Comand and upgraded to this box, maybe that's the reason why you don't get sound. This unit is designed for Audio 20 only.

But you said you "think" it is connecting via AUX. Did you install it yourself or did you have someone installed it for you?
Old 08-18-2017, 11:44 PM

GLC 250
If you have Comand and upgraded to this box, maybe that's the reason why you don't get sound. This unit is designed for Audio 20 only.

But you said you "think" it is connecting via AUX. Did you install it yourself or did you have someone installed it for you?
I have Audio 20 but have not purchased this unit yet.
Just trying to figure out how the audio is routed to the car speaker.
Most aftermarket media boxes require either AUX or via Bluetooth/FM transmitter to OEM head unit for audio.
If this does not require any of the above, then it must come with its own external amp to bypass the built-in amp in the OEM head unit.
Do you find any difference in the audio quality after you installed the unit?
Old 08-19-2017, 12:04 AM

c300
I have Audio 20 but have not purchased this unit yet.
Just trying to figure out how the audio is routed to the car speaker.
Most aftermarket media boxes require either AUX or via Bluetooth/FM transmitter to OEM head unit for audio.
If this does not require any of the above, then it must come with its own external amp to bypass the built-in amp in the OEM head unit.
Do you find any difference in the audio quality after you installed the unit?
You're correct. There's an external amplifier that you connect to the head unit. The unit uses audio from the head unit when you switch to OEM screen, so there's no difference in quality in audio. When you switch to Android, it would use its amplifier which is almost the same with OEM. I can't really tell the difference.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:21 AM

GLC 250
You're correct. There's an external amplifier that you connect to the head unit. The unit uses audio from the head unit when you switch to OEM screen, so there's no difference in quality in audio. When you switch to Android, it would use its amplifier which is almost the same with OEM. I can't really tell the difference.

That's an innovative setup!
I guess the only drawback will be if I just want to use the Sygic nav on the box, I will not be able to play music from my cd on the OEM head unit.
I assume the external amp has 4+1 output (4 speakers + sub)?
So far have you encountered any glitches with this product?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Forget Car Play or Android Auto. This is much better!