C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Garmin Map Pilot - upgraded SD card fromV6.0 to V8.1 llast night

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Garmin Map Pilot - upgraded SD card fromV6.0 to V8.1 llast night

Many thanks to this forum - a prior post on Garmin Map Pilot alerted that V8.1 for the SD card was available - dealers haven't a clue about the updates for the SD card - and believe me I know that for sure - nothing comes down to the dealers either thru the Sales or Part's systems about this.

The dealer SD cards I have seen are V5.2 - including ones just shipped into my dealership last week.

I had prior upgraded from V5.2 to V6.0 thru the internet portal - which requires download/install of the "MB Download Manager".

I went in last night to upgrade tro V8.1 - and Download Manager showed V8.1 was available - and asked to download/update the Download Manage 1st from V3.10 to V3.03.

It took less than 5min to update Download Manager - and then I went forward to do the update - and I chose to save existing V6.0 - and once that was done download/install V8.1.

All was smooth for this 18.67gb update EXCEPT the process goes SLOW - meaning 3-4 hours until my computer showed complete - nothing to do with my internet connection - dang slow from upstream.

I re-installed the SD card w/V8.1 this morning - all to the good !

Some have asked what V8.1 does/changes from V6.0 - and frankly there is no dif I have foound for me so far on my 6 mile daily route - others my see/encounter something that I don't.

As best as I can research - and brush off my German - V8.1 makes further improvements on how POI-Data can be imported and shown - a bigger thing in Europe where thru owners update and share Speed Camera locations.

That's about it - keep the beat !
Old 07-16-2017, 02:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes GLC 220d
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Many thanks to this forum - a prior post on Garmin Map Pilot alerted that V8.1 for the SD card was available - dealers haven't a clue about the updates for the SD card - and believe me I know that for sure - nothing comes down to the dealers either thru the Sales or Part's systems about this.

The dealer SD cards I have seen are V5.2 - including ones just shipped into my dealership last week.

I had prior upgraded from V5.2 to V6.0 thru the internet portal - which requires download/install of the "MB Download Manager".

I went in last night to upgrade tro V8.1 - and Download Manager showed V8.1 was available - and asked to download/update the Download Manage 1st from V3.10 to V3.03.

It took less than 5min to update Download Manager - and then I went forward to do the update - and I chose to save existing V6.0 - and once that was done download/install V8.1.

All was smooth for this 18.67gb update EXCEPT the process goes SLOW - meaning 3-4 hours until my computer showed complete - nothing to do with my internet connection - dang slow from upstream.

I re-installed the SD card w/V8.1 this morning - all to the good !

Some have asked what V8.1 does/changes from V6.0 - and frankly there is no dif I have foound for me so far on my 6 mile daily route - others my see/encounter something that I don't.

As best as I can research - and brush off my German - V8.1 makes further improvements on how POI-Data can be imported and shown - a bigger thing in Europe where thru owners update and share Speed Camera locations.

That's about it - keep the beat !
It seems like version 8 has removed ability to preview route and select which one suits you most. Very bad decision hopefully they going to bring it back with next update.

Also not sure how everyone else feels but route calculation slower