C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Washing of Black 040 color

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB C Class
Washing of Black 040 color

Hi there,

Im about to have by MB C series in BLACK 040 color.
May i have your experience for proper washing of the car to avoid swirl marks?

Thank you
Dodo
Athens-Greece
Old 07-29-2017, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Don't touch it with anything
Old 07-29-2017, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
Originally Posted by edodo77
Hi there,
Im about to have by MB C series in BLACK 040 color.
May i have your experience for proper washing of the car to avoid swirl marks?
It will be a challenge if not impossible.
This is why I am reluctant to get a black car.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Use a sealant - such as NextZett GLanz Wax - available thru Amazon -the nano-clearcoat actually is made up of micro platelets - think a surface like a micro turtle shell - and the sealant fills those micro surfaces to provide smooth surface - then your was goes on top of the sealant.

If you think "sealant + wax" you will lower your risk of swirl marks - be careful of the cloths you use.

Keep the beat !
The following users liked this post:
edodo77 (07-30-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by Gungaslow
Don't touch it with anything
Disagree. This is BS. I have owned multiple black cars in my 40 years of driving. Do what Fab said and get you car washed on a regular basis. The last black car I had I kept for 10 years looked great with just a little maintenance. People buy tons of black car.
edodo77 (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 06:59 AM

MB C Class
Thank you all for your reply/advise!!
Old 07-30-2017, 08:09 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I had 040 car once.....never.....ever again.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
My last black car was the last generation of Honda Prelude. I washed and waxed occasionally and all OK in the beginning.

I then learned about detailings and all broke loose. Everytime I went to the Prelude, I would bothered by the swirls. The Meguiars DA Polisher helped a lot, the swirls would disappear and only to come back in a few weeks.,
Old 07-30-2017, 11:48 AM

MB C Class
hyperion 667, is that so bad?
i really the balck 040 color!!!

i hope that i will not regret it.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 mercedes C300
I've had two black cars and I told my wife if I try to buy another walk out of the dealership. If you aren't particular about lots of issues with black from dust to streaks to every nick showing enjoy the color. If you are a fanatic about a clean car as I am save all of the anxiety and stress and get a much lighter color. In ten minutes of cleaning a black car you will see nothing but dust. Just my opinion.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
I have a suggestion. Find a clean black car in some parking lots, look closely to the hood and check for swirls. If you can live with the swirls, you will be fine.

My preferred interior color is Saddle Brown and for the exterior, I have to choose between selenite grey or silver. There is a 2017 C300 coupe p in the showroom with Black/ Cranberry Red leather. If this is not sold in a few weeks and since 2018 Coupes are coming, there is a good chance that they will offer a big discount on this car. Based on the discount, I may get this one, even it is black.

Good thing is I am not in a rush, my 13 years old CLK is running great.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Many black cars including two S Class. Nothing looks meaner than a black Benz. As soon as I get them I wash them with Dawn to strip any remaining wax or polish, clay bar to make sure the paint is smooth, then start layering on Zaino ZX 5. Four coats lasts six months. It'll also fill and hide any existing swirl marks. Water beads right up and a quick rinse off and dry ( I use a cordless leaf blower) is all it requires in terms of maintenance. Zaino is optically pure and completely non abrasive (which is why it can be layered). Also get the finishing spray.

Visit www.zainostore.com, look at the customer pics and read the testimonials. They're accurate.

This is my Zaino'd 2010 with 80,000 miles on it:

Washing of Black 040 color-photo274.jpg
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike5215:
edodo77 (08-02-2017), Star4life (08-22-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 05:54 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by edodo77
hyperion 667, is that so bad?
i really the balck 040 color!!!

i hope that i will not regret it.
I don't have a garage, and I have a light case of OCD.......drove me nuts! BUT, when it's clean.......it's a FULL ON for the 1 minute that it's clean

Now I have a white car and it's almost as bad lol
Old 07-30-2017, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
The medium tone metallics seem to be the best at camouflaging dirt. I took a break from black and got my C in Palladium Grey. It's like being on vacation, but the car isn't very dramatic looking. Always a trade off.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
Originally Posted by Mike5215
The medium tone metallics seem to be the best at camouflaging dirt. I took a break from black and got my C in Palladium Grey. It's like being on vacation, but the car isn't very dramatic looking. Always a trade off.
Palladium Grey was replaced by Selenite Grey back in 2016. I think of this color as choacoal Grey which was very popular 25 years ago.

My current car is silver and in my opinion, silver is the easiest color to maintain and it really pops after a good wax.

I would definitely buy silver if I did not drive a silver car for 13 years. Kind of strange to buy another silver!
Old 07-30-2017, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I like silver but it's so light it's hard to get a lot of depth from the polish. It looks best appreciated up close in sunlight. Hides scratches the best though.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
I like silver but it's so light it's hard to get a lot of depth from the polish. It looks best appreciated up close in sunlight. Hides scratches the best though.
Agreed, no depth at all and it sure shines.

This is why I use mostly synthetic wax on my car. I also have Carnauba wax but most of them do not last long. However, maybe the newer Carnauba waxes are better.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Instead of a wax (which contains mild abrasives...it works by cleaning and making microscopic cuts in the clear coat and temporarily filling them) try a polish.

Since a good polish has no abrasives, multiple coats can be applied over one another. (If it had abrasives each coat would remove the coat underneath it.)

The result is that each successive coat adds more depth to the clearcoat and makes the underlying color coat more and more reflective.

But it does take some paint prep since it has zero cleaning function at all. You have to get the finish very smooth, usually by claying. There should be no resistance when you run your hand over it. The upside is that where you'll work harder on prep, once you've built up multiple costs of polish it will keep beading water and protecting the finish for several months.

I'd generally do prep and two coats one weekend, then add coats over the following weekends until there were five or six coats. Then to keep it up maybe a fresh single application twice a year.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C43
Instead of a wax (which contains mild abrasives...it works by cleaning and making microscopic cuts in the clear coat and temporarily filling them) try a polish.

Since a good polish has no abrasives, multiple coats can be applied over one another. (If it had abrasives each coat would remove the coat underneath it.)

The result is that each successive coat adds more depth to the clearcoat and makes the underlying color coat more and more reflective.

But it does take some paint prep since it has zero cleaning function at all. You have to get the finish very smooth, usually by claying. There should be no resistance when you run your hand over it. The upside is that where you'll work harder on prep, once you've built up multiple costs of polish it will keep beading water and protecting the finish for several months.

I'd generally do prep and two coats one weekend, then add coats over the following weekends until there were five or six coats. Then to keep it up maybe a fresh single application twice a year.
OP, you should disregard this--it is full of very weird misinformation. A true wax (or sealant) is not abrasive at all. A polish is by definition abrasive and has no protective qualities. A glaze can be either mildly abrasive or nonabrasive.

On your original question, like all newer paints the Mercedes black is fairly soft and black in particular really shows swirls. You can largely avoid the swirls by using good products and techniques. Buy a grit guard for your wash bucket and use a good MF wash mitt and lots of soft MF drying towels. Both washing and drying motions should only be one direction (to make it easy to remember, just go the way air travels over the car). Don't use detailing sprays to remove dust or dirt, only wash. If the car has any caked on dirt, power wash it off first and look up the "two bucket" method.

Last edited by Lionel_Hutz; 07-31-2017 at 11:50 AM.
edodo77 (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
This is what I get for posting when I'm half asleep on the crapper.

Let me clarify. I'm not referring to compounds (buffing compound/polishing compound). Those of course all are intentionally abrasive to various extents. Zaino is a "pure" polish and is completely non-abrasive.

Some waxes are also "pure" and contain no abrasives. Others can have some abrasive qualities. (If you're getting paint color on the applicator pad they're definitely abrasive.)

In any case a pure wax or a pure polish works by temporarily filling and sealing tiny imperfections in the finish. I'm not sure how long a pure wax takes to cure and if it can be layered.

On a black car it's very easy to create holographic swirl marks by using an abrasive wax or polish. Those seem to be more prevalent and less irregular than marks caused by accidental grit in the wash buckets. Not sure how long the pure waxes continue to protect the finish after application, but the Zaino polish lasts a very long time.

The key is to clean the paint using a process that doesn't scratch it, since black shows every imperfection, and then protect it with a product that seals in the shine also without using abrasives.

Lots of guys have processes and brands they swear by (Mothers, Meguiers, Griott etc), which often contradict other processes that other guys swear by. I can only share my experience using the Zaino system on my last three black cars (two of which were Mercedes). It does a great job, produces a deep shine, lasts a long time and isn't a huge pain in the *** to apply.

I'm sure guys using the other systems who claim good outcomes are telling the truth. Since Zaino was my first foray into high end polishes and I was happy with the results, I haven't experimented with anything else.

Last edited by Mike5215; 07-31-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:54 PM

C43
This is what I get for posting when I'm half asleep on the crapper.

Let me clarify. I'm not referring to compounds (buffing compound/polishing compound). Those of course all are intentionally abrasive to various extents. Zaino is a "pure" polish and is completely non-abrasive.

Some waxes are also "pure" and contain no abrasives. Others can have some abrasive qualities. (If you're getting paint color on the applicator pad they're definitely abrasive.)

In any case a pure wax or a pure polish works by temporarily filling and sealing tiny imperfections in the finish. I'm not sure how long a pure wax takes to cure and if it can be layered.

On a black car it's very easy to create holographic swirl marks by using an abrasive wax or polish. Those seem to be more prevalent and less irregular than marks caused by accidental grit in the wash buckets. Not sure how long the pure waxes continue to protect the finish after application, but the Zaino polish lasts a very long time.

The key is to clean the paint using a process that doesn't scratch it, since black shows every imperfection, and then protect it with a product that seals in the shine also without using abrasives.

Lots of guys have processes and brands they swear by (Mothers, Meguiers, Griott etc), which often contradict other processes that other guys swear by. I can only share my experience using the Zaino system on my last three black cars (two of which were Mercedes). It does a great job, produces a deep shine, lasts a long time and isn't a huge pain in the *** to apply.

I'm sure guys using the other systems who claim good outcomes are telling the truth. Since Zaino was my first foray into high end polishes and I was happy with the results, I haven't experimented with anything else.
Zaino is called a "polish" only because that's the way they chose to market it. It's a good quality system, but their branding is a bit strange. Both Z-2 and Z-5 (the Zaino "polish" twins) are actually sealants. Agreed on your other points.

I swore by Zaino about 15 years ago but IMHO the industry has moved on while they're still pitching their product ecosystem that requires prep, layering, and cure times that the user doesn't have to deal with for comparable sealants.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Yeah, now that I think back my first black Zaino car was a 2005 GTO. Hard to believe that was 12 years ago. I guess there probably are more advanced products now, considering that in 2005 the IPhone didn't exist.

My next car will probably be black. I should probably update my approach to keeping it shiny.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:06 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S
After my previous car was black, I was looking for a non-black C450, but color options were very limited and I ended up with another black car. My previous car was a 2006 550i which was pretty well covered in microscratches and spiderwebbing by the time I got rid of it. I am trying very hard to do as much as possible to avoid those paint issues on the C450.

I'm going with the "don't touch the paint" method as that seems to me to be the most assured method to avoiding microscratches while cleaning. I started by doing a Gtechniq ceramic coating treatment. Now my standard wash is via a foam cannon connected to a pressure washer so I don't touch the car during the "soaping/washing" phase and then I use an auto dryer to dry.

I've been pretty pleased with the results aside from the fact that the car wash area at my condo building always has at least partial sunlight exposure so it is near impossible to finish up before some water spots dry on the side of the car hit by sunlight. I'm considering buying a 10x20 ft tent/canopy so I can wash in the complete shade, but I'm not sure how easy those are to assemble/disassemble for one person. It's also on concrete (so tent poles can't be anchored in ground) so I'm a little concerned about a big wind gust knocking the tent over onto my car.
edodo77 (07-31-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
Maybe you should consider products like opti-coat or cquartz. Google it, these products can reduce swirls. A few of my friends swore by Opti-Coat and I saw the results myself.

I plan to get a Selenite Grey and I will still get opti-coat.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:34 PM

C43
Originally Posted by mis3
Maybe you should consider products like opti-coat or cquartz. Google it, these products can reduce swirls. A few of my friends swore by Opti-Coat and I saw the results myself.

I plan to get a Selenite Grey and I will still get opti-coat.
For what it's worth, I got Opti-coat Pro+ and it did nothing to protect against swirls. One wash by somebody who was doing a sloppy job (long story) and my car was swirled to @%^&. I did a paint correction and polished off all of the Opti-coat and replaced with a decent sealant. Car looks much more glossy and has the same swirl resistance (i.e., very little). It was a massive waste of money.

On the other hand, I had good luck with CQuartz UK--it kept my Golf R protected and swirl free the whole time I owned it. Of course, that car was not black and did not have the misfortune of being washed by an idiot so YMMV.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Washing of Black 040 color