C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Distronic Plus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
Distronic Plus

I just learned that the feature "Distronic Plus with Steering Assist" is particularly useful in traffic congestion in highway driving.

Can you please share your experiences with this feature?

On the other thread on Parktronic, some members said that the cars would backup too fast and they would have to ride the brakes to slow the car down.

Last edited by mis3; 08-07-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:54 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
C350e
It is a very useful feature that i use regularly on the highway but also in city traffic.
The steering assist works without driver interaction when you drive less than 30 kmh.
Above that speed you have to actively touch the steering wheel approximately every 15 seconds to acknowledge that you are paying attention.
Failing to do so will disable the steering assist a couple of seconds later with a loud tone.
Depending on the situation it chooses to follow the lines on the road or the car in front of you.
It had it's restrictions so you must see it as an aid. It does not follow the road or car in all situations. But when You know it's restrictions it is a perfect aid.
The Distronic is a perfect feature.
The only restriction i noticed is when it is not following a car and further ahead a car is standing still. In that situation it takes quite long before the system detects the car. The reason for this is that the system filters out stationary objects because otherwise each road sign or any other object would trigger the system.
Therefore it takes a while to recognize this situation and it will usually result in an emergency stop.
I love the functionality despite the limitations.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by GerritKw; 08-07-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
What is Uit?
Old 08-07-2017, 07:38 PM

C350e
Originally Posted by mis3
What is Uit?
Auto correct issue from my keyboard.
I meant "it".
​​​​​​
Old 08-07-2017, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
Originally Posted by GerritKw
Auto correct issue from my keyboard.
I meant "it".
​​​​​​
I asked because certain MB features have different names in different countries,

Thanks for your informative post. Distronic Plus with Steerimg Assist is part of the Intelligent Drive package which costs $2,700CAN. I planned to skip this package but now I am changing my mind. I did not know that this feature can be used in traffic. I am stuck with highway traffic everyday,
Old 08-07-2017, 07:54 PM

C350e
I asked because certain MB features have different names in different countries,

Thanks for your informative post. Distronic Plus with Steerimg Assist is part of the Intelligent Drive package which costs $2,700CAN. I planned to skip this package but now I am changing my mind. I did not know that this feature can be used in traffic. I am stuck with highway traffic everyday,
I forgot to mention that the Distronic works from 0 - 200 kmh and when you come to a full stop for more than 2 seconds, and the car in front of you starts to drive again, you have to hit the accelerator or the Distronic handle to trigger it to follow again.

For me it was definitely worth the money.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
..... For me it was definitely worth the money.
When I bought my CLK years ago, Distronic was already available. Guess technology has improved this feature a lot over the years.

My morning commute is 60-90 minutes long if I leave at 6:30AM, all highway driving. Even at this hour, there would be a strip of at least 30 minutes where I would go no more than 20 MPH.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:23 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Gungaslow
Uterus In Turtles
All you do is sh*t post on this forum. Can you seriously stop. It's not entertaining. Your jokes are lame.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
W205 C250
Once I got used to the quirks and limitations I now use it all the time but it is by no means perfect. If the system is tracking the vehicle in front in slow traffic and not the marked lane and that vehicle changes lane then your vehicle will attempt to change lane as well. On balance I think the feature is worth the money
Old 08-08-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E53 Coupe
I find steering assist tremendously useful for highway driving. It really reduces the stress of long highway drives. I basically drive with my hand on the wheel with the car doing most of the work. A momentary loss of concentration won't send you off the road, the system will keep you in your lane. It's the best in slow, stop and go traffic. It basically eliminates the chance that you will rear end the car in front of you if you're momentarily distracted.

I have another car without steering assist. It's easy to forget the car won't steer for me or slow as I approach traffic when using "normal" cruise control.

All that having been said, the system isn't perfect and you must still pay attention. I understand the system has been improved significantly in the new E Class.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
Originally Posted by unr1
All you do is sh*t post on this forum. Can you seriously stop. It's not entertaining. Your jokes are lame.
Come on, learn to laugh a bit.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:24 AM

C350e
Originally Posted by BenzC400
All that having been said, the system isn't perfect and you must still pay attention. I understand the system has been improved significantly in the new E Class.
I am wondering if the E Class has different hardware or that it is purely a software thing. Otherwise we might take benefit from that too.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by Greg52
Once I got used to the quirks and limitations I now use it all the time but it is by no means perfect. If the system is tracking the vehicle in front in slow traffic and not the marked lane and that vehicle changes lane then your vehicle will attempt to change lane as well. On balance I think the feature is worth the money
I have never had the car try to change lanes when the car in front of me moves over... I've conirmed this by setting the speed well above the flow of traffic wherein it slows down, the car in front moves over to allow me to pass... even with my hands off the wheel it stays put. If it was tracking the car in front, how would it work if there was no car to track (i.e., you are leading traffic)? I could be wrong....but.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
Agreed. Not funny at all, just annoying. I just ignore his posts.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
I am wondering if the E Class has different hardware or that it is purely a software thing. Otherwise we might take benefit from that too.
Good question. It would be great if this is just a software update. I am sure MB is improving their Distronic technology every year. Not sure if they would announce every change they made.

One feature that the new E Class has is the Active Lane Change Assist. I do not see this feature in the 2018 C Class Intelligent Drive Pakcage.

In my trip to work this morning, based on what I learnt here, Distronic will be so helpful when I went maybe 15 MPH for 40 minutes.

Last edited by mis3; 08-08-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:22 PM

C350e
In my trip to work this morning, based on what I learnt here, Distronic will be so helpful when I went maybe 15 MPH for 40 minutes.
Your trip will be a lot more relaxing with Distronic plus and the lane keeping assist.
Just search for "Distronic plus in C Class" in YouTube, and you will find a lot of movies showing its capabilities.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
I am quite sold on this feature. Now I want Active Lane Change Assist as well but I do not see this in the 2018 package list.

Would any of these Intelligent Drive feature prevent me to hit the side curb?
Old 08-09-2017, 09:18 PM

2019 E53 Coupe
Originally Posted by auditoamg
I have never had the car try to change lanes when the car in front of me moves over... I've conirmed this by setting the speed well above the flow of traffic wherein it slows down, the car in front moves over to allow me to pass... even with my hands off the wheel it stays put. If it was tracking the car in front, how would it work if there was no car to track (i.e., you are leading traffic)? I could be wrong....but.
It only tracks the car in front of you below 37 mph. When there is no car in front and/or above 37 mph, it uses the cameras to track the lane markings. It will maintain separation between cars with radar at speeds above 37 mph, but it will be tracking the lane markings to keep you in your lane.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:43 PM

2019 E53 Coupe
The extended functionality of DISTRONIC PLUS with Steer Assist helps the driver to keep the vehicle in the center of the lane on straight roads and minor bends through the application of steering torque in a targeted manner and makes it easier to follow the vehicle in front in traffic jam situations with the "Stop & Go Pilot" function.

The vehicle is kept the center of the lane either by lane or object guidance. The function requirements for lane guidance are a maximum speed of 200 km/h while the stereo multi- function camera is able to detect lane markings on both sides. The lane width must be ≤ 4.2 m and the maximum off set to the center of the lane cannot exceed 40 cm at the start of a control operation. Steering assistance is canceled when the turn signal is actuated. An additional function requirement for object guidance is a vehicle speed of max. 60 km/h while the stereo multifunction camera is able to detect the position of the vehicle in front. The distance to the vehicle in front must be between 1.0 - 40.0 m (speed-dependent) and the off set to the vehicle in front can be max. 0.35 m at the start of a control operation.

The "Stop & Go Pilot" function operates in the range up to 60 km/h. If the lane marking is not detected or missing, the vehicle is kept in the center of the lane through object guidance.

The torque sensor of the electric power steering records the steering torque applied by the driver (hands-on detection) and the signal is evaluated by a control unit. If no steering torque or an insufficient steering torque is measured for approx. 10 s, a visual warning is issued in the first stage. After a further 5 s, an acoustic warning is output in the second stage and the Steer Assist function is deactivated. The DISTRONIC PLUS system still remains active in this case.

System limits
The lane guidance function is aborted if the lane markings cannot be clearly recognized (e.g. due to multiple markings in roadwork zones), if the markings are concealed (snow, leaves etc.), if the contrast to the road surface is too low and in heavy rain or thick fog. The object guidance function is aborted if the vehicle in front changes lane or the distance to passing or parked vehicles is too short. No assistance is provided by the Steer Assist function if a collision with a vehicle in the blind spot is imminent, the driver actively changes lane, the turn signal is operated, the driver does not steer by themselves for an extended period of time or the driver takes his/ her hands off the steering wheel.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450
My only gripe with the feature is that even at the lowest setting, there is still a large gap to the car in front...at highway speeds. What then happens is that cars behind you get impatient and go around (to the left or right) and jump in the gap and you are "pushed" further back in the line.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:13 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Jdem22
My only gripe with the feature is that even at the lowest setting, there is still a large gap to the car in front...at highway speeds. What then happens is that cars behind you get impatient and go around (to the left or right) and jump in the gap and you are "pushed" further back in the line.
which ends up adding about 20 seconds to your commute.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:11 PM

C350e
The distance is there for a reason. I admit it can be annoying at times, but i rather choose for safety than a little shorter time to reach my destination.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450
which ends up adding about 20 seconds to your commute.
The distance is there for a reason. I admit it can be annoying at times, but i rather choose for safety than a little shorter time to reach my destination.
LOL not exactly the point guys and I know why the distance is there.

It becomes annoying at those times you are cruising along at highway speeds and all the people behind you start going around you and slotting in the gap in front of you.

It is not as if I am a "left lane loser" driving 60 in a 65 and refusing to move over. I am going the same speed as the car ahead of me and people are riding my *** because the gap is so great and then go around me.

And quite honestly, even at the lowest setting the gap is pretty big.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:35 AM

C350e
LOL not exactly the point guys and I know why the distance is there.

It becomes annoying at those times you are cruising along at highway speeds and all the people behind you start going around you and slotting in the gap in front of you.

It is not as if I am a "left lane loser" driving 60 in a 65 and refusing to move over. I am going the same speed as the car ahead of me and people are riding my *** because the gap is so great and then go around me.

And quite honestly, even at the lowest setting the gap is pretty big.
I completely understand your feeling and also notice the same behavior from other drivers also. But when people really think they save time by overtaking you on the wrong side, i just let them go.

I agree that the distance usually does not invite the person in front of you to move over and let you pass. In such cases I just press the accelerator a bit too close the gap and persuade the one in front of you to move over.

Last edited by GerritKw; 08-11-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:02 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
20 seconds, that's all, just 20 seconds...
The following users liked this post:
Jdem22 (08-23-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Distronic Plus