C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

2017 C300 issues/problems.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi Q5
2017 C300 issues/problems.

Hi everyone newbie here, I am thinking about getting a 2017 C300, possible sports package with sports suspension.
But I would like to find out if there are known issues/imperfections or problems with this model year c300, as to help me decide before I make my move. Because most of the issues i read in this forum seem to be from 2015 or 2016 models, although few are 2017 models as well. I have own a 2009 bmw 335i in the past and had tons of small issues and took the car into shop for a total of about 20 times in 5 years of ownership, so I would really like to avoid getting a car that I love but ended up with multiple annoying issues again.

What I would like to find out is:

1. I heard about the starter overheating recall for W205 models, is there a permanent fix available yet? Should the dealer fix the cars in their lot already before my buying it? Or do I have to get the car first and THEN take it back to the dealer for them to fix?

2. With sports package will there be noticeable creaks and rattles in the cabin, compared to non sports models? And how much harsher will the ride feel like compared to a base model or comfort model?

3. Are all the issues or recalls from 2015 or 2016 models already fixed in the 2017 model?

4. How is the build quality for the MY 2017 overall? Are they able to fix all the rattling or creaking sounds in the cabin? Or is it something that's inevitable?

This is my first time considering getting a C300 because of the performance and handling I have heard and test drove, I would like to hear from you guys before I make the final decision, and hopefully I dont have to take the car back to the shops many times after I get it, like what I have been reading in the forum. I greatly appreciate any input!
Old 08-10-2017, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by MBDC
Hi everyone newbie here, I am thinking about getting a 2017 C300, possible sports package with sports suspension.
But I would like to find out if there are known issues/imperfections or problems with this model year c300, as to help me decide before I make my move. Because most of the issues i read in this forum seem to be from 2015 or 2016 models, although few are 2017 models as well. I have own a 2009 bmw 335i in the past and had tons of small issues and took the car into shop for a total of about 20 times in 5 years of ownership, so I would really like to avoid getting a car that I love but ended up with multiple annoying issues again.

What I would like to find out is:

1. I heard about the starter overheating recall for W205 models, is there a permanent fix available yet? Should the dealer fix the cars in their lot already before my buying it? Or do I have to get the car first and THEN take it back to the dealer for them to fix?

2. With sports package will there be noticeable creaks and rattles in the cabin, compared to non sports models? And how much harsher will the ride feel like compared to a base model or comfort model?

3. Are all the issues or recalls from 2015 or 2016 models already fixed in the 2017 model?

4. How is the build quality for the MY 2017 overall? Are they able to fix all the rattling or creaking sounds in the cabin? Or is it something that's inevitable?

This is my first time considering getting a C300 because of the performance and handling I have heard and test drove, I would like to hear from you guys before I make the final decision, and hopefully I dont have to take the car back to the shops many times after I get it, like what I have been reading in the forum. I greatly appreciate any input!
The engine fire issue requires first that the engine be hydro locked. You hydro lock an engine by allowing water to enter the air intake. Since water can't be compressed, when the piston begins a compression stroke, water that has entered the cylinder now blocks the piston from making a full stroke. The force typically will bend the piston rod, destroying the engine. Repeated attempts to turn the engine over with the starter motor overloads it and can cause a fire. Although at that point the car is probably already totaled anyway.

Sport steel suspension is the stiffest of the non AMG C Class. It's somewhat tolerable on 18" wheels, more so if you swap out the run flats for conventional tires. 19" are markedly stiffer. 2017 Sports can be configured with AirMatic, which solves the problem to an extent. If you live somewhere with great, glass-smooth roads everywhere the steel Sport may not bother you, but a comprehensive test drive is in order before you commit. Base cars on 17" ride very nicely.

The stiffer suspension definitely exacerbates creaks and rattles. The dash is literally being shaken apart on a small scale.

Early 2015 had a serious engine defect among other things. Steer clear of early builds. 16's are better but still rattle prone. I haven't driven a 17. In the US, sedans are built in Alabama. The German built coupes seem to be more solid.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic
1. I never had this issue, so I wouldn't know (MY 2016)
2. Creaks and rattles in the cabin will always be there regardless of any packages. I have the sport package, and had non-sport ones as loaners multiple times. There's no difference. The ride quality is about the same too. Non-sport is just a bit softer side. On scale from 1 to 10 (10 being the harsh ride), I say sport is 7 and non-sport is 8.
3. If it has the Li doc, it is fixed on 2017 models.
4. The latest 2017s I had as loaner did not have any rattles. But I only drove it for a few days.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 mercedes C300
I have a 2017 C300 with sports package. No creaks and rattles inside or out. Enjoy driving in sports mode and I don't feel any harshness. I'm riding on Giugaro Vredstien Trac Vorti tires 235 40 ZR 19 front and rear and they give me an excellent ride. The roads in my area are in very good shape. Not one problem in my short 6 1/2 month ownership. Not a DD since I'm retired and share my time with 991.2.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:49 PM

Audi Q5
Originally Posted by Ronglos
I have a 2017 C300 with sports package. No creaks and rattles inside or out. Enjoy driving in sports mode and I don't feel any harshness. I'm riding on Giugaro Vredstien Trac Vorti tires 235 40 ZR 19 front and rear and they give me an excellent ride. The roads in my area are in very good shape. Not one problem in my short 6 1/2 month ownership. Not a DD since I'm retired and share my time with 991.2.
how much does it cost to switch out the RFTs and get the new ones?
Old 08-10-2017, 07:21 PM

2017 mercedes C300
how much does it cost to switch out the RFTs and get the new ones?
Mandrus Millenium wheels and the tires were part of the negotiations and were on the car at the time. They would have put back the OEM's if I didn't want the wheels. I good a decent deal but I still could have done better buying the tires and wheels later and having them mounted plus an extra set to dispose of. Didn't want to do all of that. Mandrus are made for Mercedes as you probably know. The tires are a little less known and a search would be needed.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Check w/Tire Rack...

The way this works... you buy your tires of choice from Tire Rack ... buy a can of Fix-A-Flat - and/or if your detail oriented buy a jack/kit from MB like $70 - you have your fresh tires put on by a competent shop and keep the original extended mobility tires in your garage in the event you have lease turn-in later - or plan to sell later you have your OE Extended Mobilty set to put back on the car..
Old 08-10-2017, 08:16 PM

Audi Q5
Originally Posted by Ronglos
Mandrus Millenium wheels and the tires were part of the negotiations and were on the car at the time. They would have put back the OEM's if I didn't want the wheels. I good a decent deal but I still could have done better buying the tires and wheels later and having them mounted plus an extra set to dispose of. Didn't want to do all of that. Mandrus are made for Mercedes as you probably know. The tires are a little less known and a search would be needed.
I assume you bought the car used?
Old 08-10-2017, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
The go-to non run flat replacement for guys who have made the switch seems to be the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, although they discontinued making the size for the 18" fronts on a Sport. Last I checked TireRack still had some unsold inventory. Rear size is still in production.

Great riding, smooth and quiet tires.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:23 PM

Audi Q5
Originally Posted by Mike5215
The go-to non run flat replacement for guys who have made the switch seems to be the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, although they discontinued making the size for the 18" fronts on a Sport. Last I checked TireRack still had some unsold inventory. Rear size is still in production.

Great riding, smooth and quiet tires.
I am assuming its a big improvement from the RFT?
Old 08-11-2017, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I am assuming its a big improvement from the RFT?
It's a substantial improvement. Probably the most improvement you can expect from a tire change. I also have AirMatic so I'm not sure how the MPSS feel on a steel Sport suspension.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:07 PM

Audi Q5
heard from the dealer that they don't sell the cars with recall on them, assuming it's not an issue anymore.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:54 PM

2017 mercedes C300
I assume you bought the car used?
Purchased new. What is the assumption of being used all about?
Old 08-12-2017, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
heard from the dealer that they don't sell the cars with recall on them, assuming it's not an issue anymore.
Technically true, but do you want an engine that was completely torn down to the block by a tech in a local service department rather than assembled by Mercedes in a factory? The recall might have been satisfied but that engine may never be the same.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:11 AM

E350 Coupe
yes you are right they will not sell you a car with a recall
Ive been looking for a 2017 c class coupe in the Houston area and they are all in Recall with no fix or parts for it
Anybody with any info of this Recall SCM GROUND