C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Delivery date in VIN checking,how to know the car we buy is really new ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350e
Delivery date in VIN checking,how to know the car we buy is really new ?

Could anybody let me know what "delivery date"in VIN mean. It mean that the date that the car was delivered to user or dealer?
I got new car end of May 2017 but in VIN decoder mentioned that the delivery date is October 2016.
If the delivery date mean the date that the car deliver to user then there is something wrong because the delivery date should be May 2017.
But if it mean delivery to dealer then why it is too long in their stock (more than 6 months)
I just worry that I got test drive car.

One more thing , does the mileage in W205 can be adjust?

Thanks for all comments in advance
Old 10-09-2017, 06:04 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Normally they get about 3 or four 200 lb guys to do a 45 min intensive gym session and then roll in the dirt before testing each car on a track to the ultimate limits. They then give it a quick wipe with an oily rag and use a well known Commodore-64 hack to reset the odometer back to zero. It's well known in the industry as the "screw the customer' treatment. Most people are totally unaware. There should have been a checkbox on your order sheet to 'opt-out' of it.

Anyhoo ... (sorry, couldn't resist), the date probably indicated the date it was delivered from the factory. Cars can sit for a while depending on the region and country. Shipping, customs, clearance etc. - it all adds to the time between when the car is built and when you end up getting it.
More seriously though, the one thing you do have to watch for is transit damage in the delivery phase. When you have large chunks of 'undefined' time in the vehicle delivery timeline, there may be a sinister reason (e.g. repairs needed due to damage during shipping etc.). I had this happen to my order and the company only confessed once I cornered them on the issue. If you have any doubts about the quality of your vehicle, take it up with the dealer.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
This forum certainly has "character's" - part of the flavor I guess.

No - you do not have a Mercedes "test car" - I replied in your other post that 30km/18miles certainly is not excessive/used.

Keep the beat !