C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Regretting my decision

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 c300
Regretting my decision

I bought a CPO 2015 c300 (27k mileage) a few months back and I'm regretting my decision already. I had a bad feeling from the start- the dealership said to me they only 1 key for the car. Within a week, I had to bring it for rattles, among other things. This is my 4th time bringing the car in, the rattles just will not go away- when one gets fixed, another one pops up. The stereo sounds like crap. My last car, which was not a "luxury" car, was far superior in every way. Stereo rattles with
Bluetooth, head rest rattles, break squeals, touch pad does not work, air circulation makes strange noise, engine sounds like a truck engine. What gives? This is my first mercedes, and it's about to be my last. I know it's preowned but still, I've bought many NON certified pre-owned and nothing has compared to the hell im getting with this car. What makes this car certified? It sounds like they literally took the car after someone returned their lease (who was probably grateful to get rid of the car) and put it straight onto the lot to sell. I'm about to take a huge loss and just buy a Camry or something. anyone have any feedback or insight into what's happening with mercedes? I feel like im driving a 15 year old Kia with a bunch of bling on it.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Elbandito
I bought a CPO 2015 c300 (27k mileage) a few months back and I'm regretting my decision already. I had a bad feeling from the start- the dealership said to me they only 1 key for the car. Within a week, I had to bring it for rattles, among other things. This is my 4th time bringing the car in, the rattles just will not go away- when one gets fixed, another one pops up. The stereo sounds like crap. My last car, which was not a "luxury" car, was far superior in every way. Stereo rattles with
Bluetooth, head rest rattles, break squeals, touch pad does not work, air circulation makes strange noise, engine sounds like a truck engine. What gives? This is my first mercedes, and it's about to be my last. I know it's preowned but still, I've bought many NON certified pre-owned and nothing has compared to the hell im getting with this car. What makes this car certified? It sounds like they literally took the car after someone returned their lease (who was probably grateful to get rid of the car) and put it straight onto the lot to sell. I'm about to take a huge loss and just buy a Camry or something. anyone have any feedback or insight into what's happening with mercedes? I feel like im driving a 15 year old Kia with a bunch of bling on it.
I don't think any of the issues you are facing are specific to you buying a pre-owned car. If you test drive a 2017 brand new C-class you'll experience the same thing - give or take some extra rattles etc because of road wear. The point I'm trying to make is that you shouldn't be regretting the fact that you bought it pre-owned and not new. If you had bought it new, you would've been regretting it even more because you would have already lost a lot of value for buying it new.

Looking at the bright side, because you bought it as CPO, you have some additional warranty and you saved a lot of money rather than buying it new. Now, you have to decide if you can live with these minor annoyances with the car for a few years (rattles, bad sound quality, etc...). If you make peace with the fact that this is how the quality of this car is, then you will be able to enjoy it for what it is - a nice looking Benz with that attracts a lot of eyes, but nothing more. If you think that you you can't live with the build quality issues, then maybe moving to a more practical car (like you said a Camry or something) will make you sleep better. I have made peace with the fact that my car will always rattle and have small annoyances here and there, and I'm just trying to enjoy it for what it is until the warranty runs out.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350 BTC & C300
Try to work with the dealer to get the issues sorted out first. If you are still not satisfied get something else. The aggravation and regret is not worth the $ you will lose on the trade in.
Your car is something you will use almost everyday and you should be happy with it...
Old 12-17-2017, 10:04 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
c class

start by by getting rid of your run flats , find something that feels better. Car rides horrible on the tires ! I hope you have gone in the settings already to change suspension to comfort properly.
The following users liked this post:
Louis Y (01-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2017, 11:16 PM

2015 c300
Originally Posted by Sam Manuel

start by by getting rid of your run flats , find something that feels better. Car rides horrible on the tires ! I hope you have gone in the settings already to change suspension to comfort properly.
how do I change suspension settings? Can the run flats cause rattles to happen? And will switching out run flats void warranty?
Old 12-18-2017, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
1st - ALL Mercedes CPO's here in the US come with 2-key's - if only one key is available on delivery - the 2nd key gets put on order. So - either - you are not posting from the US - OR you did not purchase a Mercedes CPO - OR you have a dealer that scr*w'd you .... we will get to that in the moment...

Stereo rattle with Bluetooth...... if no "rattles" from other music/media input - I might suggest you connect with a USB cable to the center console - if you have/to/have/to have Bluetooth you "might" adjust the volume on your phone (down or up) and corresponding volume on the system (up or down) untill you find the "sweet spot" on handset/system volume that "can"reduce or eliminate the "rattle"/distortion you are hearing

Head rest rattles - driver's front headrest - or passenger passenger front headrest - or either rear headrest - yes - this is a Mercedes New Car Warranty issue -

Brake (not break) squeal - address with dealer

Touch pad does not work - in 15 model yes touchpad can fail - requires warranty replacement

Air circulation makes strange noise - if you can't describe the sound here - please describe it to the dealer in detail

Engine sounds like a truck engine - is this your 1st Direct Injection European - ALL DI engines sound louder outside the car or with your window open - did the dealer service dept go over that with you in your "4 visits" ?

Let's get to the solution here - yes - each issue can be addressed in turn - and if you are not happy with the Dealer Service Dept tell them if they can't remedy specific problems you will call Mercedes Customer Care (800) 3676372 - and if the Dealer Service Dept doesn't take care of it after you wan them about making that call - then you make that call with your VIN# handy - with a copy of the Dealer Service Dept Invoice in hand...

Your other solution is always you can move on - and moving on early means it costs you money - moving forward with your Dealer Service Dept costs you nothing - you just have to follow the instructions I have laid out here - the ball is in your court -
The following 4 users liked this post by fabbrisd1:
bigben320e (12-25-2017), Elbandito (12-23-2017), Jmilt87 (01-15-2018), pete_w (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 08:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C250 AMG
As others have said, you are not alone. I have taken mine back 4 times. Finally fixed one issue (door seals squeaking). Another issue was clicking in the dash and air vents, 'burmester' speakers buzzing like mad, etc etc... However, to my dismay, them fixing the clicking and air vens meant they removed the dash, which brought in 2 or 3 more rattle! Apparently, I'm being to fussy and demand too much of a mercedes! Which is the general impression I get each time I take it back. I've decided to sell it. I will lose some money but all the time and effort just to keep taking it back, attempting my own fixes, rattles driving me mad, I'm not too worried. I expect much more from a 'luxury' car. I actually can't wait to get rid of it. I've driven an E class and GL class. Those are much better build quality. I'm not off Mercedes just very jaded by the brand now.

Last edited by shaunds; 12-18-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Changing the dynamic mode settings (Comfort, Sport, etc.) will not change the suspension. There are no suspension settings to change (it's just steel springs), unless he has the optional Airmatic pneumatic suspension
Old 12-18-2017, 07:35 PM

I own a 2015 C300. Assembly quality of early production models was crap. The list of things wrong on my car would be too long to print here. Many other writers to MBWorld had it worse; some of them got new cars! Find out what the build date (not delivery date) of your car was. If it was before 04/15/15, get rid of it, no matter what you have to pay. Before that date, an unknown percentage of C300s received defective wrist pins. This was not an assembly problem; it was a third-party supplier problem. It affected engines built in Germany and elsewhere. (My engine was build in Germany.) The symptom is a faint rattling, when starting a cold engine on a chilly or cold morning. Before the engine warms up, rev the engine to 2000-2100 RPM and then slowly back off. The rattle is usually quite faint; you usually have to turn off the radio to hear it. I did not hear it in my own C300 at all; the shop foreman heard it when I brought my car in about the Driver-side Front Window Noise Problem. (If you search MBWorld for that problem, you won't find the relevant thread, unless you search using "noice," instead of "noise." The term is misspelled in the title of the thread.) The repair is removal of the engine and replacement of the wrist pins, pistons, rings, and connecting rods! Failure to perform the repair means premature cylinder wall wear. If it occurs out of warranty, MB will NOT cover it! MB is very strict about warranties. If you have receipts showing this repair has been done, you might want to hang on to your car after all. Your CPO warranty may well cover you better than a new car warranty would. But make sure you know whether your warranty comes from MB or from the dealer. If it is from the dealer, read it very carefully.
The following users liked this post:
Elbandito (12-23-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 10:52 AM

2015 c300
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
1st - ALL Mercedes CPO's here in the US come with 2-key's - if only one key is available on delivery - the 2nd key gets put on order. So - either - you are not posting from the US - OR you did not purchase a Mercedes CPO - OR you have a dealer that scr*w'd you .... we will get to that in the moment...

Stereo rattle with Bluetooth...... if no "rattles" from other music/media input - I might suggest you connect with a USB cable to the center console - if you have/to/have/to have Bluetooth you "might" adjust the volume on your phone (down or up) and corresponding volume on the system (up or down) untill you find the "sweet spot" on handset/system volume that "can"reduce or eliminate the "rattle"/distortion you are hearing

Head rest rattles - driver's front headrest - or passenger passenger front headrest - or either rear headrest - yes - this is a Mercedes New Car Warranty issue -

Brake (not break) squeal - address with dealer

Touch pad does not work - in 15 model yes touchpad can fail - requires warranty replacement

Air circulation makes strange noise - if you can't describe the sound here - please describe it to the dealer in detail

Engine sounds like a truck engine - is this your 1st Direct Injection European - ALL DI engines sound louder outside the car or with your window open - did the dealer service dept go over that with you in your "4 visits" ?

Let's get to the solution here - yes - each issue can be addressed in turn - and if you are not happy with the Dealer Service Dept tell them if they can't remedy specific problems you will call Mercedes Customer Care (800) 3676372 - and if the Dealer Service Dept doesn't take care of it after you wan them about making that call - then you make that call with your VIN# handy - with a copy of the Dealer Service Dept Invoice in hand...

Your other solution is always you can move on - and moving on early means it costs you money - moving forward with your Dealer Service Dept costs you nothing - you just have to follow the instructions I have laid out here - the ball is in your court -

Thank you for the insight. I have spoken to the dealership and they will add another key. I don't really know why the salesperson had said, sorry 1 key, you'll have to pay for another. Really poor customer svc if you ask me. Makes the dealership lose credibility when you have inconsistencies like this. I was quoted initially for an extended warranty for the CPO vehicle for 3500, and when I called another dealership, they said 2495. Both supposedly backed up by Mercedes. This is dishonesty at its finest.

Anyways, I got a call this morning saying it is a wristpin issue and they will have to replace a bunch of things on the engine. Should I be worried? I assume this is something they're experts in, but sounds like a heavy job and potential for lots of other things to start going wrong.

I have a fully loaded 2012 honda accord and that has been to the dealership for warranty service a whopping total of 0 times. I am at a loss for words on the build quality of this generation of vehicles

Last edited by Elbandito; 12-23-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:18 PM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
Get rid of it as soon as you can afford it.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Kill it!!!! Kill it with fire!!!
Old 12-23-2017, 07:16 PM
Former Member

CLS

Global warming.
Originally Posted by Gungaslow
Kill it!!!! Kill it with fire!!!
​​​​​​​merry Christmas from Sven and da boys in Svalbard.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:52 PM

Thank you for the insight. I have spoken to the dealership and they will add another key. I don't really know why the salesperson had said, sorry 1 key, you'll have to pay for another. Really poor customer svc if you ask me. Makes the dealership lose credibility when you have inconsistencies like this. I was quoted initially for an extended warranty for the CPO vehicle for 3500, and when I called another dealership, they said 2495. Both supposedly backed up by Mercedes. This is dishonesty at its finest.

Anyways, I got a call this morning saying it is a wristpin issue and they will have to replace a bunch of things on the engine. Should I be worried? I assume this is something they're experts in, but sounds like a heavy job and potential for lots of other things to start going wrong.

I have a fully loaded 2012 honda accord and that has been to the dealership for warranty service a whopping total of 0 times. I am at a loss for words on the build quality of this generation of vehicles
It's not dishonesty. The prices of extended warranties vary greatly from one dealer to another. You can buy your warranty from any dealer, so it pays to shop online. If you are having the wrist pin repair, you should have an extended warranty, unless you intend to trade it sooner (which I would recommend).

The wrist pin repair is indeed a big deal. As I explained above, it involves removal of the engine and replacement of the wrist pins, pistons, rings, and connecting rods. The good news is, if the dealership is of any size, they have a lot of experience with this! I asked the shop foreman of my dealer about this exact question. He grinned and said they had repaired "many" such engines. This dealership considers itself a small dealership. Two years later, I have not seen anyone commenting in MBWorld to report any subsequent problems. I lost the use of my car for three weeks. My dealer and other dealers I am aware of provided loaners. I just used my wife's car. She used it very little, even then. (I think MB assumes that anyone prosperous enough to own a Mercedes will own a SECOND Mercedes for when their first Mercedes is in the shop.) Just make sure that your dealer actually has the parts before you drop you car off. With parts in hand, it should take a week to ten days.)

As for your Honda, I have heard derisive snorts in meetings of my local section of the Mercedes-Benz Club of America that, "If all you want is reliability, get a Japanese model!" When I rode a motorcycle 30 years ago, Harley-Davidson riders said the same thing! MB owners are expected to be tough! Seriously, a senior commenter in MBWorld gave his own explanation. The Asian manufacturers make incremental improvements, testing each change thoroughly. MB markets their brand to first adapters, who look forward to the most advanced technology. These same advances in technology encourage them trade their cars relatively early (and they can afford to do so). So the owners of new Mercedes do not pay the price of reduced long-term reliability.

Early-production 2015 C-Class sedans were an exception. That debacle was the result introducing a new model with a new engine, in a new factory on a new continent. What could go wrong? However, the wrist pin problem was not the fault of the American workers in the new factory. The engines were made elsewhere. My engine was made in Germany. The out-of-tolerance wrist pins were from the third-party supplier. But the problem was also the kind of problem that occurs with the introduction of a new engine. There was also a major problem of MB-Tex seat cover material that leached out an exudate on the surface of the seats! Again, there was a new supplier. The new supplier was in Mexico, and they had never had the opportunity to test their material in cold weather! See a pattern?
Old 12-23-2017, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic
Like the OP I had a 2015 C300 which I leased brand new. Although I didn't have any major issues with the car, the rattles and general harshness of the sport suspension made me want to dump it as soon as I could. Last month my Sales associate offered me a great deal on a 2018 GLC300 which I jumped on, this meant I could get out of the W205 7 months early with no penalties. There is no comparison between the two vehicles, the GLC is very comfortable, quiet, no rattles, door closes like a bank vault and is very roomy inside. I wish I traded in the C300 much earlier. To the OP if you can get out of it now I suggest you do so, it doesn't get any better.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
If you just purchased the 2015 a couple of months ago, I would think the selling dealer would have known about the wrist pin issue before they sold the car. I can't imagine a dealer not knowing about this at this point.

I dumped my 2015 after the wrist pin repair went badly. The dealer in Columbus, GA broke a tool inside the engine and the entire engine had to be sent to a machine shop to have it removed. After I got the car back, it was one problem after another with the engine. When I was told they had to order a part from Germany and it would take a few weeks, that was it for me.

I do have a 2018 C300 on order and like madmax we recently bought a 2018 GLC 4M and could not be happier with it.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:37 AM

2015 c300
Ahhh this all sounds pretty discouraging. Is it a crapshoot with regards to this wrist pin repair? The car looks nice inside and out, so I'd have a difficult time going to a bimmer or audi. I really don't to trade this car in and take a 5-10k hit, since i just bought this car recently.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:22 PM
Former Member

CLS
The result is no better than the skill of the person doing the work.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Yeah, wait until you get the car back after the repair and see how it performs. I'm sure there have been many successful repairs. If all goes well, you will have basically a brand new engine.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
c class
Originally Posted by gfmohn
Changing the dynamic mode settings (Comfort, Sport, etc.) will not change the suspension. There are no suspension settings to change (it's just steel springs), unless he has the optional Airmatic pneumatic suspension

i had a loaner that was like what you describe but my c300 without aimatic has more settings inside each menu for the suspension, steering and something else.

Mine was set to comfort but inside comfort settings suspension was set to “sport” the difference is felt when I hit a pothole so I had to go in and change it to comfort.

OP needs to stop driving the Honda Accord in order to enjoy the C300 , when I first got mine I also had a 2016 Malibu that drove EXTREMELY smooth so COMFORTABLE that every time I got into the c300 I felt like I was downgrading in terms of ride comfort.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:53 PM
Former Member

CLS
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
Yeah, wait until you get the car back after the repair and see how it performs. I'm sure there have been many successful repairs. If all goes well, you will have basically a brand new engine.
what you literally have is a ticking time failure.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:37 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Entry level MB's are garbage.........guys just say otherwise so they don't feel like an idiot for buying one.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:55 AM

Troll Alert

Originally Posted by hyperion667
Entry level MB's are garbage.........guys just say otherwise so they don't feel like an idiot for buying one.
TROLL ALERT-DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!
Old 12-25-2017, 10:50 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
If opinions are trolls then so be it
Old 12-25-2017, 11:02 AM
Former Member

CLS
Really.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Regretting my decision