C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Audi A4 Shocked Me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 02:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C450
Audi A4 Shocked Me

Drove a Silver Car Audi A4 with 11k miles on it for past few days and I’m shocked. I think Audi has a better product than Mercedes.

I have gotten plenty of C300 loaners in the past in different trims. Below are some notes:

A4 engine is smoother and has more punch
A4 transmission is just better tuned and faster. Shifts are decently smooth
A4 interior fit and finish is much better (C300 and my C450 has rattles and creaking on the dashboard trim)
A4 suspension is very nicely tuned. Firm yet comfortable that you don’t cringe every time you go over road imperfections. The C300 felt floaty while the C300 Sport crashed over bumps
A4 steering is better weighted and precise. The actually different between comfort and dynamic in terms of steering weight and quickness was very noticeable. The C300 is still too jerky and light in Sport+
A4 technology is better. Apple CarPlay and I felt the screen was more crisp.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:22 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
Originally Posted by Standingoten
Drove a Silver Car Audi A4 with 11k miles on it for past few days and I’m shocked. I think Audi has a better product than Mercedes.

I have gotten plenty of C300 loaners in the past in different trims. Below are some notes:

A4 engine is smoother and has more punch
A4 transmission is just better tuned and faster. Shifts are decently smooth
A4 interior fit and finish is much better (C300 and my C450 has rattles and creaking on the dashboard trim)
A4 suspension is very nicely tuned. Firm yet comfortable that you don’t cringe every time you go over road imperfections. The C300 felt floaty while the C300 Sport crashed over bumps
A4 steering is better weighted and precise. The actually different between comfort and dynamic in terms of steering weight and quickness was very noticeable. The C300 is still too jerky and light in Sport+
A4 technology is better. Apple CarPlay and I felt the screen was more crisp.
The C only wins in the external looks category. I agree that the A4 is a better car in this segment overall. Many people complain about Audi’s handling and tendency to understeer but the W205 in C300 form is no canyon carver either and in fact is the “floatiest” out of the big 3 (A4, 330i, C300).

If you configure an A4 and a C300 you’ll see that the A4 offers a much better value for less money. Audi’s #1 issue (besides poor reliability) is the exterior design on the A4 is a little cold but some might prefer that look.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:57 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec, 2016 C3, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
I drove a rented new A4 in Europe back in September. The car had a diesel with a 6 speed manual transmission, a combo that I love and wish were available in the US. Suspension seemed to work well and the car rode nicely.
Exterior looks OK but does nothing special for me. Interior was a fail, an embarressment that would keep me from considering this car. Perhaps they do something different for the US market, but I doubt it.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG in drag
Not sure who built the author's car, but I've put 52k miles on my car in 2 years and ZERO rattles or anything else. However, to date, I've had two. One air vent at 9k miles and passenger headrest at 40k. Both fixed in 5 min by replacing them.

Again, not sure what kind of set up the author has on his 450, but the electric power steering on the SilverCar (with 5k miles on it) I drove was tuned like ****. Who gives a rats *** about the weight if there is ZERO understanding of what's going on with the front wheels? #something my C on...WINTER tires has better steering.

CarPlay was useless since it's not a touch screen. Other than that it works EXACTLY the same as it does on the latest Benzes i.e. by endlessly scrolling the knob...#facepalm.

The double clutch gearbox was conquered by 2.5 hrs of stop n go traffic. It just ... overheated #JoyOfJoys. :/ On top if that, the 8 speed ZF or the new 9 speed Benz's tranny is light years ahead than the double clutch in the VAG product (except for the PDK).

Oh, and finally...the A4's pièce de résistance was... a leaking valve cover gasket. On a car that was 4 (!!!) months old with just 5k miles on the clock. The car that belongs to ... Audi itself (SilverCar belongs to Audi these days). (Pls see pics bellow)

And don't get me started on the acres of dreary understeer #AudiStyle

However, the biggest problem I had with the A4... it's just effin plain boring. No wonder it's named after a paper size. I am not kidding. And it's the WORST and biggest offense a car company can make these days ... deliver another faceless...Toyota/GM product. Everyone on this planet has a very limited number of days to be alive. And I want each one of my days to be filled with something memorable. One feels most alive when one is an inch from death. And when I'm about to die, I won't remember driving a rental A4 that could have been made by Toyota. No. I'll remember partying all night or doing a cannonball run or having a threesome or running away from the police at 165 mph or setting a hot lap at the Nurburgring or at Spa. And so will everyone else in their right mind #TrueStory

If you're really disappointed in the W205 (which is flawed, like any other sophisticated product), get yourself an E92 M3. Cheaper. Faster. More fun. And just simply better in every possible way.

Also, I'm not saying any of the above just because I happen to have a W205. No. I don't give a single thing about brand loyalty or anything else. But I can't stand when someone makes an outrageous claim that is simply NOT TRUE. By the same token, so many car reviews raved about the Cadillac ATS. Which is so revoltingly bad and poorly made that being stabbed 59 times in a row is a better prospect than owning one. #JustSaying

#AudiAhemVAGTechnologyAtWork

Last edited by Nardoswiss; 01-28-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:33 AM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
Originally Posted by Nardoswiss
Not sure who built the author's car, but I've put 52k miles on my car in 2 years and ZERO rattles or anything else. However, to date, I've had two. One air vent at 9k miles and passenger headrest at 40k.
Is it ZERO or is it two issues with rattles. You also forgot about the awful window rattles so definitely more than ZERO. MB could've done a better job screwing together the W205, this year's facelift will hopefully address that.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG in drag
Originally Posted by DapperStyle
Is it ZERO or is it two issues with rattles. You also forgot about the awful window rattles so definitely more than ZERO. MB could've done a better job screwing together the W205, this year's facelift will hopefully address that.
Currently: zero.
Since I got the car (52k miles ago): have had to deal with two. Which is not bad by any standards.

Had wind noise but not rattle. My local MB dealer fixed it after a few attempts and a bottle of very good schotch to my service advisor for Xmas.

MB could have done a better job. But these were teething issues which ANY model has at first. I knew it was expected since my car is June 2015 build.
However, any day, I’ll take a rattling headrest that can be replaced in a matter of seconds over a leaking valve cover gasket on a brand new car.

My advice regarding the E92 still stands tho.

Last edited by Nardoswiss; 01-29-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 Mercedes C300 Sport
I was impressed with the new A4 too, more specifically with the e-dashboard, car play and driving comfort. The exterior is just a VW Jetta with the Audi logo.