C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

2017 Pano Sunroof Rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 05:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'17 C300 Sport, P2, Pano, Black; '17 Jetta GLI White
2017 Pano Sunroof Rattle

After several days of my car at the dealership, I got it back today. The shop foreman took apart the entire sunroof assembly and replace several parts to combat the rattle. I have no idea if the trouble is completely resolved but so far so good. I thought I would post in here the description of every thing they did along with the TB number in case any of you are still fighting with the dealership over the sunroof rattle, maybe you can reference the below number. The total cost was around 5k, another reason never to own these cars out of warranty. Also, t says it jammed for the SF when he drove it. It never did that for me but maybe I got lucky that it broke when he was trying to open it or its possible he stated that so he could follow the tB and replace said parts. Who knows. Hope this helps anyone with the rattle.

"Cause: Verified complaint, glass roof drive unit intermittently making noise during operation. Took vehicle on road test and verified noise would sometimes go away when roof sliding open/close. During actuation glass roof jammed in close positioned. Referenced LI77.21-P-063617 for repairs performed. Correction: Found glass roof drive unit to be jammed. Unable to access front bolts of glass roof. Removed both A, B, and C pillars, overhead control panel, left and right sun visors, rear view mirror, front and rear grab handles, center console, all door seals around headliner, removed headliner. Once removed unplugged both drive units and performed emergency override of the drive unit to manual open glass roof. Removed glass roof. Then removed wind deflector, roof lining, sliding roof control module, front roller blind, left and right guide cables and tubes. Removed and replaced the left and right sunroof guide rails, Guide tube for drive cables. As per document replaced due to signs of wear on teeth replaced the glass roof drive unit. Reinstalled all components. Performed initial start up, programming and SCN coded. Taught in pinch protection. Test drove vehicle and verified noise no longer present. Tested all functions of sunroof, all operating as designed."
The following users liked this post:
Jeff66 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 10:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
W205 C250
Mine went back twice during warranty period for sunroof rattles on bumpy roads, the first time they said that they fixed it but it was just the same, the second time they said that they did a major adjustment what ever that is but it hasn’t rattled since - about a year now. It was such an annoyance that I am reluctant to open it any more in case it starts again, your 5 grand reinforces that reluctance now : )
Old 06-02-2018, 11:11 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
@purefunk, since it seems the top was removed, make you check that no water sips in. I didn't read that the shop foreman tested for water leaks...
Old 03-12-2023, 02:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLA class
Had this problem and it progressively got a little worse over time. Quite irritating really but luckily its a really easy fix.

Open sun roof and with warm soapy water clean:

1) All edges of glass, remove any algae from under edges of glass
2) Wipe down areas where the glass meets the roof, again remove any algae
3) Wipe down all rubber seals that meet the glass
4) allow all to dry
5) Spay SILICONE LUBRICATING SPRAY onto a dry cloth and wipe all the rubber seals using a liberal amount of spray - really work it into the seals and ensure you do this all the way around

This resolves the issue completely,

I suggest whilst doing this and you have the SILICONE LUBRICATING SPRAY at hand, that you do the same with all door seals. This improves the seals and quietens the car interior and should lengthen the life of the seals..