C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Back Up Camera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 10:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
C300, Selenite Grey Metallic and Cranberry Red Leather
Back Up Camera

Hi All,

I had my car fixed after being rear ended. I am needing to go back to the body shop to get a rear piece replaced that they messed up on. I feel my back up camera seems off. Can you guys confirm?
it seems like the part on the top (I circled) is an obstruction to the view that I didn’t have before. I might be wrong.
Can you guys weigh in and let me know if you also have that same obstruction on top? Is that normal?

thanks!
Old 06-28-2018, 11:00 PM

Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
‘15 C300 4M Sport, ‘20 GLC300
Seems like it’s a little off. If it bothers you have dealer check it out when you bring it in. The only thing obstructed is the sky.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:00 PM

Hi GreekUPS, thanks - yes , it does bother me. haha! Do you have a little obstruction on your back up camera or none at all? i'm trying to figure out how much it's off from a normal backup camera (like my view pre-accident). Thanks!
Old 06-29-2018, 01:43 PM

Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
‘15 C300 4M Sport, ‘20 GLC300
I have an aftermarket camera because car didn’t come with one. It’s a fixed camera that protrudes enough to not have obstructions. It does aim a little low though. You’re gonna have to wait for another member to chime in.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:20 PM

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts
1986 Light Ivory R107 560SL, 2020 Lunar Blue W205 C300 AMG-line
Mine never did that but it was a 2015 CPO and seemed like the rear number was repainted, but all the loaners I’ve had (2018) did that. Maybe throughout the production they changed the piece for the camera. If that piece was replaced maybe it was replaced with a piece from a newer model. I don’t know it might not be normal, but what year is your car, and how bad was it hit, was the camera/trunk lid redone, if it’s not normal maybe they didn’t reassemble it correctly. Have someone put it reverse and go outside to see if it’s loose, it might just need to be tightened if it’s not normal.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C300 W205, GLE300 W166
‘16 300 here with no obstuctions, full frame.
if u take it to ur local merc dealer they should fix it real quick for free, so should the people that did the body work.
...i don’t think any obstruction should be visible for any year

Last edited by A2thek; 06-30-2018 at 02:42 AM. Reason: More info
Old 07-06-2018, 08:05 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. I’m dropping my car off Monday with a list of stuff they need to fix.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by 2010C-class
Mine never did that but it was a 2015 CPO and seemed like the rear number was repainted, but all the loaners I’ve had (2018) did that. Maybe throughout the production they changed the piece for the camera. If that piece was replaced maybe it was replaced with a piece from a newer model. I don’t know it might not be normal, but what year is your car, and how bad was it hit, was the camera/trunk lid redone, if it’s not normal maybe they didn’t reassemble it correctly. Have someone put it reverse and go outside to see if it’s loose, it might just need to be tightened if it’s not normal.
I have a 2017 C300. The trunk was redone for sure. I didn’t think it was normal but was worried my memory was failing me perhaps.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:21 PM

Forgive me triple post, but I just need to rant. There’s a host of things wrong with my car (bumper not aligned, camera not 100%, paint chips on my trunk lid, etc.), and I am starting to wonder if it has anything to do with me being a female who they think wouldn’t know better or notice a not so great job.
It sucks.
Little do they know that I detail my car myself and know all the curves intimately. I just feel disappointed that my car isn’t back to pristine condition as I has it before being rear ended.

ok. Rant over.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:18 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
Originally Posted by ClassNSass
Forgive me triple post, but I just need to rant. There’s a host of things wrong with my car (bumper not aligned, camera not 100%, paint chips on my trunk lid, etc.), and I am starting to wonder if it has anything to do with me being a female who they think wouldn’t know better or notice a not so great job.
It sucks.
Little do they know that I detail my car myself and know all the curves intimately. I just feel disappointed that my car isn’t back to pristine condition as I has it before being rear ended.

ok. Rant over.
It could be that or it could be other things. Did you do a thorough inspection when you picked the car up after the repairs?
And was the lighting good then? I'm sure if you'd taken your time with an inspection, you would have pointed out the defects
that you saw and had them fixed. Hope you get this sorted out to your satisfaction.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:33 PM

Hi All,

Just an update on this thread. I finally got my car back after about four different visits (drop off and pick up) to the body shop. They had actually figured out what was wrong (my bumper was never aligned; the trunk didn't close correctly; and more!) and finally fixed my car to an acceptable state.

My back up camera is still weird, but I stopped complaining about it to the body shop, figuring that they had worse problems (my car's bumper was crooked) to deal with.

My car isn't the same as before the accident, but it's 95% there. I'm glad I have it back too.

Thanks to all on this forum for always chiming in and trying to help.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 c300
Sorry to hear the unfortunate issues you've had. There are a constant number of problems with the c-300. I've read somewhere that the Mercedes gods like to make sure there is always at least 1 problem with the car. So when one gets fixed, another one pops up. I've chosen to live with a few minor inconveniences. I've also noticed every time I drop off my car at the dealer, a new scratch or bump is found on the car. Fun stuff from a luxury brand