C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

I Need a New Engine !

Old 10-12-2018, 02:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 c class
I Need a New Engine !

Wrist Pin Repair and more. I have a 2015 c300 and had the repair done two years or so ago. Engine has been really noisy lately so I brought it in to be checked out. Had a message yesterday , they are taking apart the lower half of the engine to see where it's coming from. Received a call from the dealer today. Seems to be issues with the pistons. They are replacing the entire engine !! Anyone ever have anything like this ? My warranty is up in a month. I am wondering if I should consider replacing this car soon. The new engine could be a good thing and all will be fine from here or is this just the next chapter in future problems ? Also , any thoughts on how this might effect value ?
Thanks
Old 10-12-2018, 04:46 PM

Received 131 Likes on 110 Posts
‘15 C300 4M Sport, ‘20 GLC300
Well Jeez, sorry to hear that. Good thing you brought it in when you did. Where are you located? Im just hoping it was your tech and not an inevitable failure waiting to happen on all wrist pin repairs. Had mine done back in March and have zero issues.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C400
So the wrist pin issue was repaired, thus necessitating a tear down of the bottom half of the motor, and very likely the removal and reassembly of the large end of the connecting rod (at least). Now, years later you have bad pistons. That's understandable if the end caps of the connecting rods weren't perfectly installed. The rotating force is coming from that end of the rod, and I'm betting if anything is off there, the piston side skirts and rings, and those main bearings will be where the effects will show. Assuming this is true (and it is an assumption), and the fact that you'd be getting an entire new engine built by machines to specs, I suggest you decide if you like the rest of the car enough to keep it, because you're getting a big win with a new motor, so that should be a plus, not a minus.
The following users liked this post:
Ironjim1 (10-12-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 285 Posts
EQ
I agree, if you otherwise enjoy the car, I'd reach out to MBUSA (given one engine repair leading to a new engine) and ask about extended warranty options.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:07 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
W205
I had my engine replaced under warranty, mine wasn’t caused by the wrist pin. Runs great. I have some other non engine issues to get done but I have a CPO warranty after my factory expires next month
Old 10-13-2018, 08:10 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 C 300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Ironjim1
Wrist Pin Repair and more. I have a 2015 c300 and had the repair done two years or so ago. Engine has been really noisy lately so I brought it in to be checked out. Had a message yesterday , they are taking apart the lower half of the engine to see where it's coming from. Received a call from the dealer today. Seems to be issues with the pistons. They are replacing the entire engine !! Anyone ever have anything like this ? My warranty is up in a month. I am wondering if I should consider replacing this car soon. The new engine could be a good thing and all will be fine from here or is this just the next chapter in future problems ? Also , any thoughts on how this might effect value ?
Thanks
I wouldn't replace the car. Most new sporty cars are coming with direct injection meaning they'll all fail at some point and require rebuild. Just look at it as they've given your car 4 years of extended life. So sad considering how great the interior and MRA platform are.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 4Matic W205
I had my wrist pin issue fixed just about a year ago and I started hearing the same clicking noise when accelerating last week. I'm taking mine in this weekend, wonder if I'll get the same response...