C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Looking for an insight/recommendations on buying a used Mercedes C300 4 Matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Jaguar XFS (Supercharged)
Post Looking for an insight/recommendations on buying a used Mercedes C300 4 Matic

Hey, I've started my search for a used Mercedes C300/400 4 Matic as the winter month approaches. I currently drive a 2015 Jaguar XFS Supercharged that I purchased off of my father and planning on keeping it in the garage as a way to keep it away from the harsh winter month and road salt. I've established that my budget for a winter vehicle/daily commuter allows for a (40k to 65k KM) Mercedes Benz C 300 ranging from 2015 to 2016 model year. I had originally set my eyes on a 2015 Audi A4 for the quattro AWD; however, I've decided to drop it due to it being a previous gen model yet priced similarly to the new C class generation.
I've never owned a Mercedes Benz before and my brief search shows that the 2.0 I4 is pretty reliable; however read mix reviews about the transmission going bad often. What can I expect from these vehicles, in term of reliability, winter performance and maintenance cost?

Fuel economy isn't a major deciding factor. As far as options go, I'm not spoiled for choice given the budget and prefer a basic model (lower KMs / newer model year) over a well equipped (older model with higher KMs).

My budget is about 25-30k (CAD) depending on bang for buck. In other words, I'd be willing to spend the higher end of my budget to get a vehicle with better equipment/lower KMs/newer year vs one with higher KM and not as well equipped.

Owners with either pre/post facelift models may chime in and share their ownership experience and recommendation regarding my decision to get a Mercedes with a low budget. I am planning on buying a CPO C Class via a Mercedes dealership as they come with reconditioning of the vehicle and 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. Given the budget, what sort of C class should I expect to get in term of condition and mileage? Are there any options that I should aim to get that are worth the extra cost and trouble of finding? Any rust issues with these vehicles, I understand majority of European luxury cars are made out of aluminium and not prone to rusting. (in Ontario, Canada). I understand the markets vary depending on the region.

Any and all help/advice would be appreciated!

Cheers!
Old 11-16-2018, 03:28 PM

Currently booked a test drive for a

"Certified Pre-Owned 2015 Mercedes-Benz C300 4-Door Sedan"

Clocked @ 58,699 KMs

Asking price is $26,995 + 13% tax CAD

List of options: Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heated Seat, Blind Spot Detection System & comes with 2 year warranty.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:06 PM

Will be comparing it to this:

"Certified Pre-Owned 2015 Mercedes-Benz C300 4-Door Sedan"

Clocked @ 54,376 KMs

Asking price is $27,395 + 13% tax CAD

List of options: 18 '' AMG Wheels, AMG Style Pack, Sport Suspension, Power Heated Seats, Blind Spot Detectors, Split Folding Rear Seats, Bluetooth, Dual Zone Automatic Climate Control
& comes with 2 year warranty.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
2015 C300 sedans

Of the two sedans shown above, I would suggest that you consider buying the Polar White one with AMG package. This package really improves the appearance of the car, IMO. The Polar white car also has the Open Pore Ash trim which was a $250 option. Examine each car closely and look for any signs of re-painting. Since both cars are being offered by MB dealers, each should have a CarFax report, indicating service history and any accident declarations.

One option that appears to be in favour of the Grey metallic (Selenite ?) car are the superior headlights. The Polar white car has the standard halogen headlights which will not perform as well as the bi-zenon/LED lights in the Grey metallic car. If you do much night driving, this could be a factor worth considering.

Lastly, you might wish to inquire about financing options ? For MY2015 C Class, MB Canada is currently offering 0.9% financing over 24 months, with no penalty for early payment. There could also be additional incentives ?

Last edited by DerekACS; 11-16-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by DerekACS
Of the two sedans shown above, I would suggest that you consider buying the Polar White one with AMG package. This package really improves the appearance of the car, IMO. The Polar white car also has the Open Pore Ash trim which was a $250 option. Examine each car closely and look for any signs of re-painting. Since both cars are being offered by MB dealers, each should have a CarFax report, indicating service history and any accident declarations.

Lastly, you might wish to inquire about financing options ? For MY2015 C Class, MB Canada is currently offering 0.9% financing over 24 months, with no penalty for early payment. There could also be additional incentives ?
Hey Derek, thank you for your input. Of the two, I personally like the look of the Grey one, mainly because of the LED head and tail lights, the interior black on white contrast and the paint itself. I understand the AMG package has more visual appeal and I do notice it more now, I especially like the ash wood trim as opposed to piano black that is plaguing modern car interiors.

Noted, I had originally planned on picking one up from a private party but factoring in pre-purchase inspection cost and the hassle involved with it, I decided to look into the CPO inventory instead and the 2 year warranty is a huge plus now that I've experienced the cost my Jaguar warranty has covered. I did go through the car proof report for the silver/grey one, and It as clean as they come. Have yet to request one for the white one, though I was told over the phone that it has never been involved in any accidents.

I'm not planning on financing it, though 0.9% does sound very appealing. There is a 500 credit for first 3 months given I go that route. Finally, I was told that I could qualify for 0% financing for 24 months given I share an address with someone that is currently financing/leasing a vehicle via Mercedes Finance Canada. I may invest some time setting that up for the $1500 gain.

Appreciate the response!
Old 11-16-2018, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by Zereldo
Hey Derek, thank you for your input. Of the two, I personally like the look of the Grey one, mainly because of the LED head and tail lights, the interior black on white contrast and the paint itself. I understand the AMG package has more visual appeal and I do notice it more now, I especially like the ash wood trim as opposed to piano black that is plaguing modern car interiors.

I'm not planning on financing it, though 0.9% does sound very appealing. There is a 500 credit for first 3 months given I go that route. Finally, I was told that I could qualify for 0% financing for 24 months given I share an address with someone that is currently financing/leasing a vehicle via Mercedes Finance Canada. I may invest some time setting that up for the $1500 gain.

Appreciate the response!
Yes, the LED headlights would definitely be worth having. The near 0% financing with added $1500 bonus should be a no-brainer. You could payoff after 4-6 months if you chose to.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by DerekACS
Yes, the LED headlights would definitely be worth having. The near 0% financing with added $1500 bonus should be a no-brainer. You could payoff after 4-6 months if you chose to.
It appears the White AMG look version has been in two front end accidents. $4,500 claim and $9,800 claim. The price has been reduced to $25k, though accident history leaves a bitter taste and a significant loss in interest if I were to sell it onward.