C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

W205 Halogen Upgrade to LED Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 C300
W205 Halogen Upgrade to LED Failure

Hi Everyone,

Just a warning for anyone thinking of buying plug and play headlamps to replace their halogen ones. I bought a pair off ebay. Immediatley after installing I got an error code this should have been a red flag but I ignored it at the sellers discretion. Less than 4 months later the headlights were broken. The LED strip and turn indicator ceased working.

I was always skeptical of the durability of the after market part wish I listened to my gut. After losing $$$$, the halogens don't seem so bad anymore. Wish I just stuck with the original lights.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W205 C300
The Parking Lamp are the ugly orange reflector lights on the sides you would normally get with oem. I get those error codes too, but ignore it. I prefer the black instead of the orange reflectors. There should be warranty on those headlights though. Have you tried contacting them?
Old 01-17-2019, 10:31 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2016 C300 4matic
Same thing happened to me last year but this was because of my own fault. I cracked the lamp cover and water shorted out the control board inside. If you remove the headlight you'll be able to verify that the controller mounted to the bottom of the housing has taken in water and shorted. I ended up buying a whole new assembly but I took my old passenger assembly and bought a new outer cover for it and bought a new controller, neither of which was expensive. If you want to repair it yourself that's an option. Let me know if you want info. Otherwise i'll probably be putting my passenger assembly on here for sale next week if someone is interested.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
C300
sorry to see that. I have no problem so far. I know the business owner of OTTO AUTO, and we both live at Atlanta. Do you need my help? it should be covered by the warranty...

I only got one and the same warning message during the last 8 months. it is just the random error, it is noting about the DRL or turn signal. it should be gone after few minutes.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:13 PM

C300
Wait, under my post, you mentioned Otto Auto already repaired the headlight. what is the new problem?
Old 01-18-2019, 10:52 AM

C300
Originally Posted by rippedoffbyOTTO
Hi Everyone,

Just a warning for anyone thinking of buying plug and play headlamps to replace their halogen ones. I bought a pair off ebay. Immediatley after installing I got an error code this should have been a red flag but I ignored it at the sellers discretion. Less than 4 months later the headlights were broken. The LED strip and turn indicator ceased working.

I was always skeptical of the durability of the after market part wish I listened to my gut. After losing $$$$, the halogens don't seem so bad anymore. Wish I just stuck with the original lights.

I spoke with the Otto Auto. Oh man, you are not cool. You tried to abuse the PayPal Buyer protection system and get all your money back but keep the product for free. This is unfair to Otto Auto. I mean you filed a claim and state the ITEM not AS Described after 5 months, are you kidding? this is not cool at all.

I know you are pissed off because PayPal denied your claim... my friends in Otto Auto is not happy with what you did to them... They repaired and tested the headlight before shipping back... the headlight was "damaged" during the shipping, but you never sent them a photo to show the damage.

the shipping came with $600 insurance . if the headlight was damaged by USPS, you can simply file a insurance claim.

At this point, my friend told me that he is still willing to honor the warranty and still repair the headlight for free. please email them at ottoautollc@gmail.com. I think you want to say sorry first.
The following users liked this post:
Jackforl (01-18-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 01:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C300
Just to make sure, since I feel I am missing something.

I want to do this with my car...but those amber reflector lights are required by North American law right? Isn't it technically illegal to remove them in US/Canada?