C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Need Urgent Advice - Yellow Batter Symbol | Check Owner Manual, Start Engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 200 2016
Unhappy Need Urgent Advice - Yellow Batter Symbol | Check Owner Manual, Start Engine

Hey all,

So today was driving around as usual. Parked the car for 20 min and when I came back, put the key in ignition but car wont start and got the message in the main cluster screen:

Yellow Battery Symbol
Start Engine, check owner's manual

Of course I cannot start the car! And owner's manual has nothing on this (image attached). So When I try and start all lights flicker like crazy and a constant clicking sound. The lights all work, radio too, and locks etc.

Any idea what this could be? Should I try jump start the car or better get it towed to the dealer? I was reading some threads where people said it was the Voltage Regulator part. Car is about 2.5 years old, under the extended warrant but not sure this part is covered.

Also, there is no way to get the car in neutral when this issue is present right? I tried to change to neutral but no luck, remains in park.

Thanks a bunch guys, need to get it towed or something in 6 hours in the morning - what a pain ( Hopefully not major $$$
Old 01-24-2019, 07:20 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2016 C300 4matic
I actually just had the same warning but my car started fine. I also had a warning where the car was in gear and it said to "Stop Car And Let Engine Run". Your battery is likely depleted and needs to be charged or replaced. The constant clicking sound is a classic sign of that. My car was serviced yesterday and I was told I need a new main battery because it would not hold sufficient capacity when they tested it (i'm fairly sure this car has a smaller aux battery as well but I didn't ask).

Yes, go ahead and jump it if you want. My dealer advised against using my car to jump someone else's car due to the potential for back-feeding electrical systems, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me given the design of modern electronics. I always carry a USB jump starter anyway so it's not an issue for me. I'm not sure where in the country you live but if it's somewhere cold be prepared to jump it again if you're not planning on driving directly to the dealer.

EDIT***
The cost of the battery from the dealer was $450 installed if anyone is wondering. Highway robbery but it is what it is.

Last edited by RemmyZero; 01-24-2019 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Included battery price