C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C400 problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 05:46 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
BMW
C400 problems?

Does the C400 have any issues like the wrist pin problem in the c300?
Or any other issues?

I am about to pick up a loaded C400 for $21,000USD with only 22,000miles on it.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C400
I have had way more problems with mine then I expected. Tons of warranty repairs. Make sure to ask for a complete service history and get the extended warranty. I am trying to get out of mine.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C400
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u
I have had way more problems with mine then I expected. Tons of warranty repairs. Make sure to ask for a complete service history and get the extended warranty. I am trying to get out of mine.
Yeah, I am in the same boat with mine. Way to many issues for 1 year of ownership so far. All the major issues covered by warranty. Worst thing is all the squeaks, creeks and rattles they they fill not fix.... ex. Rattle in the door panel. They want $850 to fix it.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
C400
I got my 2015 C400 in October with 46k miles off lease that had pre-paid maintenance. I'm still under original warranty till 50k. Then CPO kicks in and I purchased an extra 2 years of CPO. Essentially covered till 2022. Things repaired/replaced so far under warranty:

- Replaced Front axles - Clicking.
- Replaced Front passenger door handle light - Dead
- Front brake pads - Replaced due to squealing in reverse when cold. (non-warranty, but dealer covered).
- Rattle near sunroof controls - Felt tape and tighten.
- Lubed up sunroof track.
- Rattle in front passenger headrest - Replaced.
- Radio speed-sensitive volume not working - Software update.

From what I've seen and heard from others the engine and tranny are pretty solid. I still love the car. Really does look good and really moves like it should and then some and rides smooth. But always get a warranty; it's a German car! And stay on top of maintenance; I have a decent bill coming this spring for plugs, engine belt, and tranny fluid (not going to dealer for these). Just the nature of the beast.

Last edited by benztime; 03-03-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:29 AM

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
'15 C400 and '15 ML350
Wrist pin issue is only on the I4 motors on earlier C300's. no problem on the C400.
Ive had mine for a year now, only things that went wrong were minor and covered by warranty. (front axles bc all C400s seem to make the clicking, and one of the door handles lights went out)
The axle is a noise only issue and the door handle lights seem to be problematic on all MB models, not a W205 specific problem.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
2015 Mercedes C400
Originally Posted by MatthewJ
Wrist pin issue is only on the I4 motors on earlier C300's. no problem on the C400.
Ive had mine for a year now, only things that went wrong were minor and covered by warranty. (front axles bc all C400s seem to make the clicking, and one of the door handles lights went out)
The axle is a noise only issue and the door handle lights seem to be problematic on all MB models, not a W205 specific problem.
Just bought a C400 this weekend and the axle clicks, I also have 2 door handle LEDs out, lol. I am hoping those remain the only issues with my car! I'm in conversation with the dealer to see if they will goodwill the axles because I am a few months out of warranty.

How drastic of a difference is the JB4? That's the only mod I plan on doing to the car later this year and wanted to get some real world feedback.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:02 AM

'15 C400 and '15 ML350
If they dont fix the axles dont worry about it too much as its only a noise and wont get worse or fail with time. The lights would bother me but i belive they are fairly cheap to have them fix since they do it all the time lol.

JB4 is a very noticeable difference. I run map 5 and for only 2 plugs under the hood it added 50-60hp on pump gas. Car was decently quick before, its fast now, like 13.3 to 12.3 on just the tune.
The following users liked this post:
ill41 (08-25-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 11:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
2015 Mercedes C400
Originally Posted by MatthewJ
If they dont fix the axles dont worry about it too much as its only a noise and wont get worse or fail with time. The lights would bother me but i belive they are fairly cheap to have them fix since they do it all the time lol.

JB4 is a very noticeable difference. I run map 5 and for only 2 plugs under the hood it added 50-60hp on pump gas. Car was decently quick before, its fast now, like 13.3 to 12.3 on just the tune.
That's good to hear! Do you run E30 fuel at all? But have you been to the track? Was the 12.3 your time!?
Old 03-04-2019, 11:18 AM

'15 C400 and '15 ML350
Ive tried Ethanol mixes a few times but i dont have the fuel pressure sensor connected so im not seeing much difference with it. Plan to connect after i install intake.
No i havnt been to the track, just judging based on what im able to run with on "closed roads" . pulled on a M4, few SRT8's and a modded 135i that all run low 12s.
Fastest C400 i know of runs custom map 6 and is in the 11'.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
c400
Exclamation

Originally Posted by benztime
I got my 2015 C400 in October with 46k miles off lease that had pre-paid maintenance. I'm still under original warranty till 50k. Then CPO kicks in and I purchased an extra 2 years of CPO. Essentially covered till 2022. Things repaired/replaced so far under warranty:

- Replaced Front axles - Clicking.
- Replaced Front passenger door handle light - Dead
- Front brake pads - Replaced due to squealing in reverse when cold. (non-warranty, but dealer covered).
- Rattle near sunroof controls - Felt tape and tighten.
- Lubed up sunroof track.
- Rattle in front passenger headrest - Replaced.
- Radio speed-sensitive volume not working - Software update.

From what I've seen and heard from others the engine and tranny are pretty solid. I still love the car. Really does look good and really moves like it should and then some and rides smooth. But always get a warranty; it's a German car! And stay on top of maintenance; I have a decent bill coming this spring for plugs, engine belt, and tranny fluid (not going to dealer for these). Just the nature of the beast.

I have c400 and got 45k km on it. here is the stuff so far ive had replaced.

-front axels
-both rear airmatic air shocks (one side was sagging)
-rear damp axles(makes grumbling sounds when going over bumps
-brake booster (makes hissing noise when you let go of the brake pedal in cold weather)
-passenger seat squeeks (seat frame replaced)
-over head compartment ticking sounds (felt tape and re-wired harnace)
-fan motor blower repalced
-high pressure fuel pump replaced (louder than usual ticking sound from engine area)
-seat cover replaced (tear)
-updated many SAM control units

oh and I have had the car only for 4 months lol...ya that's a lot of issues.. one question I do have is..when you put the car from P to R or to D do you guys hear a clicking sound from the transmission? the dealer is telling me this normal but not sure...
Old 03-04-2019, 11:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C400
I have a C400 with 42k miles. I've had about zero problems besides the exterior door handle LED's and the crappy Burmester system.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:00 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
C400
Had to replace the voltage dip limiter (under warranty). The car would intermittently stall at a stop (even with eco start/stop disabled).

Originally Posted by shang12
-brake booster (makes hissing noise when you let go of the brake pedal in cold weather)
Did changing the brake booster fixt this? The tech said this was normal (coming from pressure release valve).
Old 03-04-2019, 12:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
c400
Originally Posted by DylanM
Had to replace the voltage dip limiter (under warranty). The car would intermittently stall at a stop (even with eco start/stop disabled).

Did changing the brake booster fixt this? The tech said this was normal (coming from pressure release valve).
yes it fixed it, I don't hear anymore hissing sound when releasing the brake pedal. also another thing someone else here posted mentioned that the car actually accelerates faster and has a jump after the replacement. this is odd but I feel the same thing. before the car seem like it was slow getting off the start and now it seems quicker. make sure to get it replaced this is a warranty item.