C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Garmin Navi SD update issue...download went OK but "write" stalls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 08:32 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2017 C300 Cab 4Matic
Garmin Navi SD update issue...download went OK but "write" stalls

Since the app instructions for SD card update are sketchy, I thought I'd post my experience:
Download Manager said that the newly bought v8.0/8.1 SD card could be updated to v11. The download portion of the update went OK and showed 100% downloaded in about 4 hours, but the "write" operation (to the SD card) stalled at 53% with no error message, and the "pause" had disappeared when the d/l step was finished. I let it run all night but the Write operation never restarted. Has anyone else had this issue? I logged out of D/L Mgr. restarted the app and restored it to 8.1 from the backup data; no problem except needing several tries at the activation command before it took.

Update: I was a little apprehensive about permanently trashing the card by trying the update again but the 2nd try worked. The final D/L Mgr step, activation, stalled but after logging out and in again, it finished the operation. It appears that even if the "pause" button isn't available, you can restart the app without issues. The activation step in D/L Mgr was consistently stubborn and I had to restart the app but it picked up where was and finished the update.

When I installed it in the car, Navi recognized the card but said to remove the card. Uh-oh! I removed it and re-inserted it and it activated. It's now v12 and the missing roads in v8.1 are now included but I didn't notice any changes to the screens.

Last edited by dwpc; 05-23-2019 at 12:49 PM. Reason: update