C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

2020 C300D 4-matic Airmatic improvements

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300D
2020 C300D 4-matic Airmatic improvements

Hi,

I've read some threads with regards to the handling on the pre-facelift W205/S205 fitted with Airmatic, and as subjective as it is, some like it and others don't. I'm not posting to create a debate about whether or not Airmatic is a good choice and the comfort. I'm posting because I'm interested in finding out whether or not anyone has successfully managed to improve the handling on a W205/S205 (Pre and post facelift) with mods.

I took out a lease on a new C300D (S205) with Airmatic and I've previously owned an E-class W213 with Airmatic and 4-matic, and a pre-facelift W205 also with Airmatic but no 4-matic. The two latter were 200s and lighter and a bit more underpowered.
However, I find the handling in the C300D dramatically different from the post-facelift W205 with the 180 engine. I guess it's fair to say you can always feel the Airmatic compared to one with steel springs, and you're not as connected to the ground on Airmatic as opposed to steel springs. However, this is a choice I've made and I'm ok with it.

The C300D I drive now is a step away from the pre-facelift and it quite simply put, feels less connected to the road in terms of handling. The 300 engine is powerful and I would assume heavier, the amount of body-roll and yaw is borderline insane at high speed. The car is fitted with 18" wheels as all my previous cars have been and I can't believe that the Bridgestone tires alone are at fault here. At higher speeds through curvy roads and even on flat straights the car feels insanely wobbly. It's as if the car is sitting too high and it certainly dives quite a lot when hitting the brakes hard. The pre-facelift C180 never did that, oddly enough.

The impression I'm left with after buying this car is that it's a quick car but with no handling to back it up. I don't know if I'd even cared to buy the C300 over a C200 knowing that the handling was so wobbly and unstable at high speeds. It's as if the quite powerful engine is a big waste here.

Has anyone on this forum successfully improved the handling on W205/S205 with Airmatic, and if so, what mods were done? I'm not ready to give up on the car yet, and I'm willing to give a few mods a try before I make a decision about keeping the car or not.

What I'm struggling with is:
  • Car doesn't corner flat
  • Yaw/rear wants to kick out
  • Dives under hard braking
  • Suspension can't keep up with bumps/uneven roads, results in car losing connection to road too often and feels unsafe even at normal speeds (100-140 kmph)
  • Above 180 kmph the car feels as if it's about to do a CLK-GTR at Le Mans.
Any feedback much appreciated.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:28 AM

2018 GLC Coupe & 2019 C300 Station Wagon
Hi. My wife drives an ´18 GLC Coupe with Air Body Control, instead of my ´19 C300 with Airmatic. And what i can say is that the Air Body Control feels way more planted and agile than the Airmatic.

But what i did after i felt the same with my Airmatic as you i added lowering links to my c300 and dropped the car around 2centimeters all around.

That gave an enormous improvement in handling (especially sport and sport+) - comfort setting nearly stays same (floaty :-) )
Old 07-24-2019, 05:45 AM

C300D
Originally Posted by PieAitsch
Hi. My wife drives an ´18 GLC Coupe with Air Body Control, instead of my ´19 C300 with Airmatic. And what i can say is that the Air Body Control feels way more planted and agile than the Airmatic.

But what i did after i felt the same with my Airmatic as you i added lowering links to my c300 and dropped the car around 2centimeters all around.

That gave an enormous improvement in handling (especially sport and sport+) - comfort setting nearly stays same (floaty :-) )
Thank you for the answer.
Did the car feel more planted through the curves? How did the lowering links affect bouncing?
And did you have to do any programming of the car or dampers to finetune it?

Have you tried putting on stiffer sway bar?
Old 07-24-2019, 07:25 AM

Yes. Definetively way more planted after lowering. i had an ´15 w205 c250 before (without airmatic) and installed an KW Coilovers variant 1 - this was handling superb.
Now after putting in the links i nearly feel the same when putting on sport or even sport+

Even on sport & sport+ it´s not too harsh. And no. I only had the car alligned afterwards by an professional tuning company. no additional programming or else.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:33 AM

C300D
Originally Posted by PieAitsch
Yes. Definetively way more planted after lowering. i had an ´15 w205 c250 before (without airmatic) and installed an KW Coilovers variant 1 - this was handling superb.
Now after putting in the links i nearly feel the same when putting on sport or even sport+

Even on sport & sport+ it´s not too harsh. And no. I only had the car alligned afterwards by an professional tuning company. no additional programming or else.
Would you be so kind and tell me where you bought the lowering links?
link or telephone number?
Old 07-24-2019, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Warth_Dader
Would you be so kind and tell me where you bought the lowering links?
link or telephone number?
https://bbm-tuningshop.de/BBM-Merced...-Koppelstangen