C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Free lunch? Really? The (maybe) easy way to disable Eco Start/Stop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 11:33 PM

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RUNSGR8
If the auxiliary battery is anything like a standard LiPo or NiMh battery, the charging restriction to 80% makes complete sense. These batteries operate at peak efficiency and last the longest when they're stored between 50% and 80-90% of full capacity. Charging all the way to 100% over and over makes a small, but noticeable change in the battery longevity. Same goes for your smartphone batteries btw. Again, we don't know how the auxiliary battery was designed, so I could be way off base, but this is definitely a possibility.
We're talking about charging to the main battery, not the auxiliary battery. For what it's worth, the auxiliary battery is not even a battery (at least, on the W205).
Old 10-10-2019, 12:03 AM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
C400
Works great.

It's exactly like the Jaguar system, where a capacitor stores energy to start the car after Eco stopping, the Jaguar one is disabled the same way.

disconnect the aux capacitor at the negative like OP said, at it works awesome! Eco stop completely defeated, no error messages, no problems whatsoever.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:04 AM

C400
Originally Posted by fbsdmd
This is my second Mercedes that has had Eco, and I like it. I stop at a light, HOLD comes on, the engine shuts off, and all you hear, besides the radio, is the silence of your engine not using any premium fuel.
Brake hold and Eco Start/Stop are separate functions

you gain almost no gas mileage with eco stop, it is a function included entirely to manipulate EU gas mileage testing. Research it a little bit. You save a few drops at best.
The following 3 users liked this post by GringoBling:
dwpc (10-10-2019), Jagdpanzer (12-27-2021), Paul9900 (06-24-2021)
Old 10-10-2019, 12:17 AM

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
Today, I had a 2-hour drive in two directions. So I connected the sensor for the first part of the trip and disconnected it for the drive home. I was surprised to see that with the sensor connected (normal operating mode) the alternator put out more voltage initially, 14.9v, to charge the battery and power the car's electric systems. After about an hour -- when the battery was presumably at a fully-charged state, the charging dropped to 14.2v.

With the sensor disconnected, the alternator runs at 14.2v all of the time. (Nothing in my test showed if the system was limiting the battery charge to 80% of capacity.)

I don't know the accuracy of my voltmeter, but the car shows 12.5v when the engine and alternator are not running, but the car is otherwise turned on.

Oddly, the biggest danger when people move from Sealed Lead Acid batteries to AGM is overcharging, not undercharging. The fact that the Mercedes defaults to the lower voltage is probably to prevent this, although even 14.9v doesn't seem dangerously high. Some AGM systems require recalibrating the system when you replace an AGM battery. I don't know if Mercedes' system is one of these. But again, the danger is that the new battery will be damaged by too much voltage, not too little.

So, I don't see any danger to unplugging the sensor at this point. It might even extend the life of my battery, slightly. And it might lead to slightly-improved gas mileage. But of course I only really care about not having to remember to disable Eco Start Stop every time I drive.

But again, I'm not an expert on this. If anyone knows more about the charging characteristics of the W205 alternator and the EMU, I'm all ears.

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 10-10-2019 at 02:34 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jack Olsen:
BLKROKT (05-30-2020), diamondsilver16 (10-10-2019), dwpc (10-10-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 02:06 PM

C400
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen
Today, I had a 2-hour drive in two directions. So I connected the sensor for the first part of the trip and disconnected it for the drive home. I was surprised to see that with the sensor connected (normal operating mode) the alternator put out more voltage initially, 14.9v, to charge the battery and power the car's electric systems. After about an hour -- when the battery was presumably at a fully-charged state, the charging dropped to 14.2v.

With the sensor disconnected, the alternator runs at 14.2v all of the time. (Nothing in my test showed if the system was limiting the battery charge to 80% of capacity.)

I don't know the accuracy of my voltmeter, but the car shows 12.5v when the engine and alternator are not running, but the car is otherwise turned on.

Oddly, the biggest danger when people move from Sealed Lead Acid batteries to AGM is overcharging, not undercharging. The fact that the Mercedes defaults to the lower voltage is probably to prevent this, although even 14.9v doesn't seem dangerously high. Some AGM systems require recalibrating the system when you replace an AGM battery. I don't know if Mercedes' system is one of these. But again, the danger is that the new battery will be damaged by too much voltage, not too little.

So, I don't see any danger to unplugging the sensor at this point. It might even extend the life of my battery, slightly. And it might lead to slightly-improved gas mileage. But of course I only really care about not having to remember to disable Eco Start Stop every time I drive.

But again, I'm not an expert on this. If anyone knows more about the charging characteristics of the W205 alternator and the EMU, I'm all ears.
I have also done this and will compare my MPG

w/Eco start in a week about 400 miles @ 22.4 mpg

I will drive another 400 mile week w/out Eco and report back. I suspect there will be almost no loss.
The following users liked this post:
diamondsilver16 (10-11-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 05:23 PM

C400
After a week everything runs fine, but mileage did drop from 22 to 21 ish.
diamondsilver16 (10-18-2019)
Old 04-27-2020, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
XK8, X3, C300
After much reading and a few smiles, I’ve pulled the cable and driven the car for a day with and a day without it plugged in. I’m going to leave it up-plugged so the start stop is disabled.

The car is going to be with us for 4-5 years and is just 3 years old, so I would like to protect the starter motor and engine mounts.

i may re-engage the start stop if we ever get to restart our lives and do a couple of European road trips.

2017 C300 convertible, by the way.
diamondsilver16 (04-27-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K W203 - Retired, 2018 - C300 W205
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen

Hello Jack, thank you for the info I tried out by following your steps it works well. No MIL lights on the battery reading are between 13.95v to 14.23v. The only part I was not able to test out was the blind spot monitor if it is working. I will try to take out on the fwy and test it.
Again, this is a simple mod. 👍
Old 07-23-2020, 10:18 PM

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts
2016 C300W4 (W205), Luxury Pkg, Diamond Silver Met. and Silk Beige\Espresso Interior
Originally Posted by wkmotor
Hello Jack, thank you for the info I tried out by following your steps it works well. No MIL lights on the battery reading are between 13.95v to 14.23v. The only part I was not able to test out was the blind spot monitor if it is working. I will try to take out on the fwy and test it.
Again, this is a simple mod. 👍
You will not find any limitations other than the stop/start being disabled.
DaneDad (07-23-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 11:25 AM

C230K W203 - Retired, 2018 - C300 W205
Thank you, much appreciated the info =)
Old 07-24-2020, 11:45 PM

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C43
This topic came up in c43 forum and grey clip controls the rate of charge from the alternator. So if removed its 100% charging.

Few hints of why is from few users above whose charging rate increased to 14.9. Also from me while I had disconnected for a year and noticed increased in idle rpm from 500 to 700 rpm which is to compensate for the extra load the alternator needed.

Since having this reconnected, engine is back to 500 rpm at idle on eco and will recommend to purchase obd2 flasher instead of this method. Or just tap few times up to individual mode or press the A off.
Old 07-25-2020, 02:07 AM

2016 C300W4 (W205), Luxury Pkg, Diamond Silver Met. and Silk Beige\Espresso Interior
Originally Posted by stockbmw
This topic came up in c43 forum and grey clip controls the rate of charge from the alternator. So if removed its 100% charging.

Few hints of why is from few users above whose charging rate increased to 14.9. Also from me while I had disconnected for a year and noticed increased in idle rpm from 500 to 700 rpm which is to compensate for the extra load the alternator needed.

Since having this reconnected, engine is back to 500 rpm at idle on eco and will recommend to purchase obd2 flasher instead of this method. Or just tap few times up to individual mode or press the A off.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mercedes W205
To everybody saying that there is absolutley no reason for Mercedes to limit the battery charge to 80% I'd say you shouldn't speak about something you don't know. EVERYBODY who knows a thing or two about batteries, especially lithium ion ones knows that to extend the life span of a battery significantly you shouldn't charge it over 80% and shouldn"t let it discharge below 20% if you're curious as to why well think of it this way a battery is like an elevator, the first people to come in, come in easily, then the more people come in, the harder it is for an additional person to enter. Battery charging speed curves dip exponentialy. The time and energy it takes to charge 1% at the low end are way shorter than charging 1% on the top end, if you want to see for yourself grab a phone and time it from 20% to 30% and then time it from 90% to 100%
Old 07-26-2020, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Wail Faridi
To everybody saying that there is absolutley no reason for Mercedes to limit the battery charge to 80% I'd say you shouldn't speak about something you don't know. EVERYBODY who knows a thing or two about batteries, especially lithium ion ones knows that to extend the life span of a battery significantly you shouldn't charge it over 80% and shouldn"t let it discharge below 20% if you're curious as to why well think of it this way a battery is like an elevator, the first people to come in, come in easily, then the more people come in, the harder it is for an additional person to enter. Battery charging speed curves dip exponentialy. The time and energy it takes to charge 1% at the low end are way shorter than charging 1% on the top end, if you want to see for yourself grab a phone and time it from 20% to 30% and then time it from 90% to 100%
Li-ion batteries have very little in common with automotive lead acid or absorbed glass mat (AGM) type batteries.

This is a good read to explain the added stress of stop/start cycles on a car battery: https://batteryuniversity.com/index....s_battery_life

When we disconnect the battery sensor, a byproduct of that is a considerable reduction of the overall stress being placed on the battery over its functional lifetime by eliminating the stop/start micro-cycles. This benefit outweighs the potential negatives of any ~20% variance in charge rate or capacity.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:49 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
2019 AMG E53 Cabriolet
So funny reading this thread, apparently for the second time. I saw the snarky posts by the guy who I assume sells the $140 OBD module and went to hit like for the OP's rational responses, only to see that I liked them already last October. 🤣

This part of my post is a little off topic, so I apologize in advance.

I remember the first time I test drove a vehicle with the auto off/on feature the government was pushing to save on gas. I believe it was a 2013 BWM 550, and it was a very unpleasant experience to have the power go out at every stop light. Sure the engine came back on, but there was a noticeable lag. Even the power steering went out, and that was a strange feeling. For a number of reasons, I ended up buying a brand new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee instead. While it also had an eco off button (that I learned to press every time I got in the vehicle), it was not a full stop/start feature like the one I experienced in the 2013 BMW. Rather, it was just a power suck feature, that I learned to switch off. The Jeep also had a power up feature, similar to Sport or Sport+ on MB vehicles, I rarely found myself using that feature either.

Fast forward to 2018/19 when my wife told me I had to buy a new vehicle so my son could take the Jeep to college. I bought a new 2019 E53 Mercedes which has a hybrid type engine with a 429hp straight 6 cylinder gasoline engine, supplemented with a 48 volt electric 29hp engine. While the new 2019 E class Mercedes has the start/stop feature, due to the supplemental 48 volt electric 29hp engine, the start/stop is not noticeable. It is amazing. Once all cars are like this, complaints about stop/start will cease.

Last edited by usc96; 07-26-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:40 AM

B Class
THANK YOU!

Amazing!! This worked for me on my B Class. I can't believe it's as simple as unpluging that connector.

I can care less what others are saying about simply pushing that button, and I can care even more less than that guy arguing about buying his expensive OBD connector. People preaching here do so simply because they do not have a fix to the issue and but want their ego noticed thus the bro science.

Let people do what they want to do with their car. Period.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:35 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
2013 SL550, 2016 GLE350, 2016 GLC300
For anyone annoyed with disabling the start / stop feature each time, you can pick up one of our OBD programmers that retains "last mode" for this feature, you can take a look at our vehicle coverages HERE. Pick one up today!

Old 06-22-2021, 10:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C300 4matric, 2004 ML350, 2017 GLC300 4Matric, 2000 C230
No one has mentioned what all these stop/start will do to the wear and tear on the engine. I could be wrong about how these new engines are made. But from what I understand, when you start the car in the morning, there is no oil lubricating all the engine parts until the engine starts running and pumping the oils around. So, for a fraction of a second to may be couple of seconds , it is metal against metal. One can argue that when you stop at the light, the engine is warmed up and well lubricated. However, when the engine stops, the oil pump I assume would stop as well and all the oil goes down to the oil pan. So, when the light turn green, the engine starts, and for a fraction of a second, the engine is not as well lubricated until the oil pump starts circulating the oil again. If I add thousands of 'a fraction of a second' up, I would still get hundreds of seconds the engine is basically going metal against metal with some residual oil left on the metal from 2-3 minutes ago - the time waiting at the red light.
I would like to thank all of you who used your car as guinea pig to test this method of unplugging this thing made by Hyundai Mobis connected to the '-' battery terminal!
I tried it tonight on my 2017 C300. It works. No more trying to remember to turn off the auto stop/start button after I start the car. I think the automakers should make this feature optional that you can configure once and forget about it.
The following 2 users liked this post by rickiteasy:
grane (05-04-2023), Paul9900 (06-24-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 02:44 PM

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C43
Originally Posted by rickiteasy
I would like to thank all of you who used your car as guinea pig to test this method of unplugging this thing made by Hyundai Mobis connected to the '-' battery terminal!
I tried it tonight on my 2017 C300. It works. No more trying to remember to turn off the auto stop/start button after I start the car. I think the automakers should make this feature optional that you can configure once and forget about it.
I and few others had the voltage sensor disconnected and found out our smart variable alternator charging no longer function smart. Instead it would charge at full rate 14.7v + at all times even it's full.

The clip is back on now and I am manually pressing the eco off instead. Charging rate is now variable and smart from 0% when battery is full.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:35 PM

Thank you for your information. I would like more information to make sure I understand.
Q#1: When you say 'smart variable alternator', I assume you mean the alternator power by the engine to charge the 12 volt battery where the voltage sensor is connected, right?
Q#2: Are you saying that the alternator would charge the 12 volt battery at full rate 14.7v all the time even when the battery is fully charged 100%?
I am thinking out loud: When the Hyundai voltage sensor is disconnected, the computer cannot tell the condition of the battery and therefore assume it is too weak to operate the stop/start function. Since the computer does not know how fully charged the 12v battery is, it will just keep charging the battery, which make sense I hope. On the other hand, before they invented all these high tech stuff, were we not charging the battery all the time with the dumb alternator as long as the engine is running. This leads to my third
Q#3: With all these paid ODB programmer, has anyone confirm whether they are also turning off the smart variable alternator causing it to charge the 12v battery at full rate + all the times?
Old 06-23-2021, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 777 Likes on 533 Posts
2018 AMG E43
Modern luxury brands like Mercedes are incredibly complex and efficient pieces of machinery, there's a lot more going on than meets the common eye. Not being properly educated in these systems and believing you know better than vetted, experienced and highly paid engineers may lead to unexpected consequences... such as in this case, possibly shortening the life of the alternator/battery and causing systems to work harder than they should need to. If this risk is acceptable to you, then go for whatever!

I'm with you guys, I am not a fan of the eco stop-start at all. I understand why it's on by default, for MB's EPA ratings, but I have no use for it myself and it's a nuisance to me.

The solution has been out there for quite a while now from Mid City Engineering (for 2015-2018 & 2019-2021). I bought their OBD module a while back and within minutes, problem solved safely and I moved on with my life never having to think about my car shutting itself off again. ;p

And... I get it about the cost of the module. I thought that too at first. But then, after thinking about it more, I asked myself "would I have walked away from purchasing the car if the final price was 160 dollars more?" Hell no I wouldn't have. So, can anyone honestly say you would not have purchased your W205 if the price of the car was $160 more? I doubt anyone would walk away from the car they wanted to purchase over that small amount of money... unless you are so frugal you are looking to buy a Nissan Leaf/Toyota Prius, etc. or some super economy car.

For those who say "I just push the button when I get in the car!". If that works for you, cool! I tried that, not a 100% fail-safe solution.

Plus, for myself anyways, if I wanted my transportation to require I get in and have to remember to flip this, push that, twist this and work my way through a checklist, I would've bought an airplane, lol.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Thank you for your information. I would like more information to make sure I understand.
Q#1: When you say 'smart variable alternator', I assume you mean the alternator power by the engine to charge the 12 volt battery where the voltage sensor is connected, right?
Q#2: Are you saying that the alternator would charge the 12 volt battery at full rate 14.7v all the time even when the battery is fully charged 100%?
I am thinking out loud: When the Hyundai voltage sensor is disconnected, the computer cannot tell the condition of the battery and therefore assume it is too weak to operate the stop/start function. Since the computer does not know how fully charged the 12v battery is, it will just keep charging the battery, which make sense I hope. On the other hand, before they invented all these high tech stuff, were we not charging the battery all the time with the dumb alternator as long as the engine is running. This leads to my third
Q#3: With all these paid ODB programmer, has anyone confirm whether they are also turning off the smart variable alternator causing it to charge the 12v battery at full rate + all the times?
I can answer #3:

All the OBD module from Mid City Engineering does is change the default state from ON to OFF. That's it. It's still fully functional. You can still turn it on or off, but it will stay in the state you selected. If you push the button to turn it off, it STAYS off.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:39 PM

Great answers Keith, thank you! After doing more research on these AGM batteries, they do not like being over charged.
For me, it is not so much about the $160. It is more about whether all these gadgets actually work as promised without creating a different problem such as the method of disconnecting the voltage sensor.
We have a 2017 GLC and a 2017 C300. Do you know if I need to get one for each Mercedes or one would work for both?
Also, I have seen other companies selling similar gadget. I think there is one company in Australia that sell it too. How did you decided on this one from Mid City?
Old 06-23-2021, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Great answers Keith, thank you! After doing more research on these AGM batteries, they do not like being over charged.
For me, it is not so much about the $160. It is more about whether all these gadgets actually work as promised without creating a different problem such as the method of disconnecting the voltage sensor.
We have a 2017 GLC and a 2017 C300. Do you know if I need to get one for each Mercedes or one would work for both?
Also, I have seen other companies selling similar gadget. I think there is one company in Australia that sell it too. How did you decided on this one from Mid City?
Cool, you're very welcome! I can confirm the MCE module works as intended and it only reprograms the button logic to hold the user chosen state (on or off) and allows that state to survive a system restart.

It can be thought of as the logic that makes the eco be on whenever the car is started, removed.

You would need a unique module for each car. The first time you plug it into the OBD port with power, it VIN-locks itself to that VIN. You can use it multiple times if needed, but only on that VIN.

I went with Mid City because of others on this forum that reported the same as my experience.

Best of luck!
Old 06-23-2021, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Oh, and just in case it wasn't clear, the MCE module does not disable any systems, it just holds the button state either on or off. Your choice

If you hit the button to turn on eco, it stays on until you turn it off.

If you hit the button to turn off eco, it stays off until you turn it back on at any time you choose.

All systems still work as intended.

Last edited by Keith66; 06-23-2021 at 06:25 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Free lunch? Really? The (maybe) easy way to disable Eco Start/Stop