C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Help about the A pillar tweeters [W205]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 09:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mercedes W205
Help about the A pillar tweeters [W205]

Hello guys I have a Mercedes W205 with Audio 20 and base speakers, I find the audio disappointing and I know that the A pillar speaker covers are empty, so there are no tweeters in the car, and I want to them, can anyone provide help about wiring? Can I use any generic car tweeters? Or do I have to buy expensive ones made for the car iself, I know nothing about wiring speakers or about working on a car, taking the door panels is easy enough so I think I can do it but please do provide help.
Thank you
Old 01-07-2020, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
For Audio 20 (non-Burmester) - with any of the current Euro sound systems - old school was you could upgrade your speakers - and/or upgrade your power amp and "open up" your system - the new Euro "stock" standard systems are way different tech - with lower power amplifiers with fixed DSP profiles set to maximize clear output with sh*tty OE speakers. "Upgraded" factory systems give a bit more power - adds a few more speakers - adds center front channel sound processing - but again DSP profiles have been fixed w/no flexibility

1. There are OEM" MB original tweeters on eBay that plug into the cavity in the mirror triangles. The OE tweeters have a "hi-pass" filters on the back of the tweeters. Note you may need to decide on how best to add "low-pass" filter to the door speakers - that "low pass" part is on you. For OE equivalent of the wiring harness you can order thru eBay from China:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pc-Speaker...gAAOSwOEJdzU5O

2. Steg/Germany makes a tweeter set that also plugs-into the mirror triangles with a plug-n-play wiring harness included, order from Euro from whomever gives you nest quote shipped:

https://www.carfeature.de/en/hifi-na...5-25mm-tweeter

3. Any competent indie car stereo installed can install a wide range of 1" tweeters in the mirror triangles w/high-pass filter and/or in-line crosss-over for doors/triangles

BUT - with what you do on speakers - DO NOT expect a Eye-Opening change - the head unit is limited in power - and the frequency profile of the head unit is "fixed - if you really/really want to open up - you need to research having a "DSP amplifier" installed with matching harness off the back of the head unit to provide more power and to provide DSP flexibility by setting audio profile by PC/laptop or by Bluetooth mobile app.

Do a forum search - there was a very/very good writeup on the W205 upgrading to the double-cigarette box size Match/Helix 5DSP you can see as a starting point - https://w205audio20.wordpress.com/

From the German side - from Match/Helix they also have 4-channel Match PP41 (originally for VW) with the proper MB harness and/or matched with their awesome Match trunk subwoofer - or the Match PP62 with correct MB harness - and there are other MB owners that have gone to other Euro brand DSP amps like Audison and others.

Not the over-priced speaker/DSP-amp kits from select China vendors - I have been researching China made DSP amplifiers with the correct "plug-n=play" adapter harness (they call them "non-destructive) which is the rage in China - ie "brand" manes Rockera, Ponzu, Carwales etc - but haven't gone into the full install yet - wading thru the non-English manuals and tech details for PC software and Android app's for setting DSP profiles - I am not ready yet for a recommendation - although the units are manageable size at about 2x the size of the Match 5DSP - I am encouraged that these units run well under USD$200 including harness and could work out well - but again have not done full install to report.

Keep the beat !

The following users liked this post:
Mick1113 (10-01-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 05:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mercedes W205
Oh wow so it's way harder than I thought, I thought I could've plugged tweeters in with some cables I track from the plug and play systems but since I need to do way more with amps and dsps, I think it's safe to say it's out ouf my league. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions mate I appreciate it.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:27 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
GLC
how long does the Y-splitter need to be? I have OEM tweeters purchased and some ebay Y-splitter but the cable seems kind of short.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 449 Likes on 345 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Wail Faridi
Oh wow so it's way harder than I thought, I thought I could've plugged tweeters in with some cables I track from the plug and play systems but since I need to do way more with amps and dsps, I think it's safe to say it's out ouf my league. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions mate I appreciate it.
If you just want to add tweeters, buy any Ebay "For W205" tweeter set (with built-in or external wired high pass crossovers *required*) and an aftermarket benz speaker Y cable set from Ebay. (make sure the tweeter connector is also MB compatible)

Y cable

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mercede...r/163348027372

Open the door lining, unplug the MID speaker cable, plug it into the Y cable and plug one end into the MID speaker and the other end into the tweeter. Mount the tweeter.

Purchase an $10 FH-168 polarity checker and play the pop tone CD. (or use a phone app)

Make sure the tweeter phase/polarity is the same as the MIDs. (that is, if the MIDs pop negative, tweeter should also pop negative or vice versa)

If tweeter pops opposite, you might have to reverse the tweeter wires on the Y cable. (cutting, soldering and shrink wrapping is best for a clean look, but simple cut and electrical tape might also work)

I recently upgraded all of my Burmester speakers using the Audiotec Fischer Match UP MB upgrade set for W205. The tweeter wiring needed to be reversed, so I used those aftermarket Y cables.

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/match/speakers/

MB OEM front Tweeter (Burmester)

FH-168 example usage

Old 03-31-2021, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C Class W205
DOes the STEG tweeters any good?