C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Who needs an AMG - My C300 Cabrio has plenty of power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 09:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
C300 Cabriolet
Who needs an AMG - My C300 Cabrio has plenty of power

I bought couple month ago my c300 cabriolet. As I bought the car, I also test drove the C43 Cabriolet. As I compared both cars head to head, there was absolutely no justification to spend 20k more for the AMG. The sound would have been the only reason. After few month with my C300, I am still enjoying my car. It has plenty of power, is fast and looks beautiful. When you are in the US, I think it is waste of money to invest in an AMG. You can't legally drive it the way it is designed for, except when you track it and I doubt anyone here tracks his/her AMG. My C300 has more than enough power for the US street and in certain way it is even more enjoyable since I don't need to be afraid of loosing my license every time I am going for a ride.
It is a completely different story when you live in Germany, than I would definitely go for the AMG.
The following 3 users liked this post by David300:
DylanM (01-23-2020), lingnoi (01-24-2020), Ron P Baker (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 01:08 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
2016 C300 Luxury
Totally agree, you just cant get away with using power on public streets much anymore. I've had plenty of fast cars and have pushed it on public streets plenty. You used to only worry about a cop seeing you violate but now, with cameras, aircraft, radar and in-vehicle telematics cops dont even have to see you violate anymore. And if there is an accident with injuries you can be sure your vehicles telematic data is going to be downloaded and used against you if "unsafe" driving behavior is present. Then not only is your license at risk, so are your assets.

But I get why people want performance models. Sometimes its enough to just know its there and feel it now and then on an onramp or passing.

I bought a C300 for its cachet, road presence and vault-esque cabin. The power delivery is adequate and, most importantly, smooth and linear. If feel the need I'll run out to Bondurant or similar and put in a couple days on the track in their cars.

Last edited by Ron P Baker; 01-23-2020 at 06:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-23-2020, 06:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 186 Posts
W205 2015
I respect your opinion but I disagree with the theory behind it. AMG is totally different car engine, torque, throttle, sound, interior + exterior. Hence it is more expensive. In every country there are speeding rules that does not mean there is no point in buying an AMG.

Last edited by Andy74; 01-23-2020 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:28 AM
Doa
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts
W205
how can you say this?..
a 6 cyl. engine feels way different then a 4 cyl. even if you drive like a 90 year old grandpa.
engines are not only about output performance!
The following users liked this post:
benzdude (01-24-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 06:33 PM

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
I had a new C300 as a loaner vehicle for a few days and while the C300 had respectable power for what it is, it's a different driving experience than the C450 that I have. Yes, the C300 has enough safe daily driving power but at a relatively slower acceleration. Staying within the legal speed limits the AMG models can get up to speed easier and faster, enhancing the drive experience in my opinion. You don't need to live in Germany and drive 100+ MPH to enjoy the extra power of an engine, and you don't need to break the law either.

I believe it really comes down to what kind of car enthusiast that you are, and if you can afford the extra costs. If you're just looking for a nice car with enough power to not feel like you're driving a Honda Fit then the C300 is great. If you can afford the more expensive/faster model, and still choose to go with the C300 then that is a respectable decision as you are probably not the sports car type and decided to save your money.
Trappers101 (01-27-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 09:19 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
2016 C300 Luxury
I can afford to drive what I want, have been a performance car enthusiast and I am a graduate of Bondurant's 4-day Advanced Grand Prix Racing SCCA race licensing program, in addition to some other fun performance and track seat time. I buy all my vehicles cash, the most I've spent is $121k to be among the first to have a BMW 6 Series when the model launched in my area.

@BayAreaAMG you make valid points about not needing to go crazy to be able to appreciate and enjoy a performance model like the AMG.

I guess it's probably time I realized that perhaps my age has tempered my car choices of late
rustybear3 (02-27-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 09:48 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GLC 43, GLC Coupe 300 2020
The GLC 43 is a total different car from the 300. That's like comparing a GLC 43 to a GLC 63s

They are all great cars in there own right and I too decided to drop down to the 300 rather than get a new 43 or 63 due to todays law enforcement.

Ron P Baker (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 10:43 PM

Received 181 Likes on 142 Posts
2017 C43
Originally Posted by David300
I bought couple month ago my c300 cabriolet. As I bought the car, I also test drove the C43 Cabriolet. As I compared both cars head to head, there was absolutely no justification to spend 20k more for the AMG. The sound would have been the only reason. After few month with my C300, I am still enjoying my car. It has plenty of power, is fast and looks beautiful. When you are in the US, I think it is waste of money to invest in an AMG. You can't legally drive it the way it is designed for, except when you track it and I doubt anyone here tracks his/her AMG. My C300 has more than enough power for the US street and in certain way it is even more enjoyable since I don't need to be afraid of loosing my license every time I am going for a ride.
It is a completely different story when you live in Germany, than I would definitely go for the AMG.
Congratulations, drive in good health! However, keep in mind that even a c300 can reach more than 100mph easy. Get caught by a hard nosed cop doing those kinda speeds the consequences will be no different from driving an AMG. So, having a non AMG doesn’t guarantee a ticket free life. AMG or not, it all depends on your foot... step on that pedal at the wrong place, at the wrong time and.... woop woop!

While it’s true that most cars nowadays have more than adequate power. People buy for different reasons. Some buy it as a reward to themselves. You don’t have to break the speed limit to appreciate the sound of a V8 or V12. Believe it or not some people buy it just for that. Think of that “retired” (old) guy in a vette on the freeway driving like Miss Daisy’s chauffeur, being passed by the soccer mom in a minivan... rewardingly awesome! Also, you don’t have to have an AMG just because you wanna hit the track. A lot of people go to the track in a Miata, or a Fiat, and they’re all having fun. At the same time you don’t need to go to the track to enjoy an AMG “legally”, either.

For as long as you’re happy with your purchase, it’s all good. The same way you don’t knock the guy wearing a watch in this day and age even though everyone has celphones that tell time. To some, that watch is just like wearing jewelry, and there’s nothing wrong with that at all.

Last edited by mo11; 01-23-2020 at 11:08 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by mo11:
Adi-Benz (01-26-2020), b6tbfmp (01-23-2020), ill41 (01-26-2020), Trappers101 (01-27-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 449 Likes on 345 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic Sport
I want my aggressive sounding 6 cylinder back. Not this tick tick tick tick! (wrist pin?) UPS truck sounding **** every-time I get out to get my mail.
GreekUPS (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 07:22 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2016 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by benzdude
I want my aggressive sounding 6 cylinder back. Not this tick tick tick tick! (wrist pin?) UPS truck sounding **** every-time I get out to get my mail.
I don't know what kind of UPS trucks you guys all have in your towns, but the ones that bring my amazon boxes sound better than my benz 4-cylinder. That having been said, coming from an Infiniti V6 with a nice rumble I do miss it, but WOT still sounds good to me in the benz!
Old 01-24-2020, 11:41 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
1992 MB 190E, 2016 MB C300
Yes, the 4 banger is a little too noisy. Im somewhat disappointed, but can live with it.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:14 PM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
C400
The C300 is quick, yes, but a C63 AMG would blow its doors off.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Angry

Originally Posted by dennish
Yes, the 4 banger is a little too noisy. Im somewhat disappointed, but can live with it.
UPS : "Your package has been delivered"
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
W205 engine.mp3 (100.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-24-2020, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by dennish
Now I know why they added acoustic glass:
  1. So you won't be reminded of how bad your expensive cars engine sounds at the light.
  2. So you won't pull up next to a six or eight cylinder, hear it purring and get road rage.
  3. Wind noise issues?
Old 01-25-2020, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Blahhh, blaahhh, blaaah.
It's OK. We don't need to whip them out and measure 'em.

40-80 mph is where the difference between the base W205 engine and the M276 and M177 engines becomes immediately apparent. Sure, most people don't need that kind of power but when you're passing on a narrow two lane hwy it sure is nice to have some extra giddy-up.

mrmotoguzzi00 (02-13-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 02:45 AM

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
18 E63S
Originally Posted by Mr. J
Blahhh, blaahhh, blaaah.
It's OK. We don't need to whip them out and measure 'em.

40-80 mph is where the difference between the base W205 engine and the M276 and M177 engines becomes immediately apparent. Sure, most people don't need that kind of power but when you're passing on a narrow two lane hwy it sure is nice to have some extra giddy-up.

Very true
Love my GLS 450 and C63S
Old 01-25-2020, 09:17 PM

C300 Cabriolet
I don't disagree with any of the AMG pro arguments here. If I would have had the money, of course I would have bought an AMG. All I am saying here is, that as an average middle class person, I don't see the point to buy an AMG for almost the double money I paid for my C300, especially because I can't drive it the way it is designed to be driven. My last car was a Porsche, so I know what it means to drive a performance car on US streets. Most of the time I was cursing with the porsche and when I wanted to go fast, I reached the speed limit in few seconds and was frustrated I could not go all in. With C300 I have the feeling I have the perfect amount of power, can have fun in Sport+ mode and can cruise in comfort mode.

Some people mentioned here the look of the AMG. As mentioned before, I drove my current car and an AMG C43 back to back and I bet when I put the pictures of both cars next to each other majority of the people would choose mine over the AMG. Mine has the AMG sports packet with Black 19 wheel and sport suspension. The AMG had also AMG wheels but those were not black and looked quite ordinary. I think the black rims make a big difference and make the car look super hot. I also debated the car, which gives the car a much cleaner a sportier look. The car has also the AMG interior packet with AMG steering wheel.

Anyway, I am super happy that I didn't buy the AMG and bought my C300 and saved tons of money. I think I got the much better value. Again, I am not saying AMG is not good, just saying that the C300 with the right packages offers a significantly better value.
mo11 (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
LOL. AMG is definitely not a value proposition.
They are fast, loud, and expensive. Literally the exact opposite of a practical auto.

The C300 Cab is a very nice ride. The cabrios are also much less common than the sedans and regular coupes. It seems silly to me to try to compare these two.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2022 E450 Cabriolet
I really love the AMG badge on the back of mine - well worth the extra $16,000 !
Old 01-26-2020, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 2015
I don't disagree with any of the AMG pro arguments here. If I would have had the money, of course I would have bought an AMG. All I am saying here is, that as an average middle class person, I don't see the point to buy an AMG for almost the double money I paid for my C300, especially because I can't drive it the way it is designed to be driven. My last car was a Porsche, so I know what it means to drive a performance car on US streets. Most of the time I was cursing with the porsche and when I wanted to go fast, I reached the speed limit in few seconds and was frustrated I could not go all in. With C300 I have the feeling I have the perfect amount of power, can have fun in Sport+ mode and can cruise in comfort mode.

Some people mentioned here the look of the AMG. As mentioned before, I drove my current car and an AMG C43 back to back and I bet when I put the pictures of both cars next to each other majority of the people would choose mine over the AMG. Mine has the AMG sports packet with Black 19 wheel and sport suspension. The AMG had also AMG wheels but those were not black and looked quite ordinary. I think the black rims make a big difference and make the car look super hot. I also debated the car, which gives the car a much cleaner a sportier look. The car has also the AMG interior packet with AMG steering wheel.

Anyway, I am super happy that I didn't buy the AMG and bought my C300 and saved tons of money. I think I got the much better value. Again, I am not saying AMG is not good, just saying that the C300 with the right packages offers a significantly better value.
Can you demonstrate what you are saying by posting some pictures of your car? One small remark, as one of the guys here said, driving a c300 or any other non performance car does not guarantee you a will have a ticket free life. Its all about your driving style...
Old 01-26-2020, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,817 Likes on 2,551 Posts
2019 C63CS
Some would argue that the C43 is not really an AMG. Don't wanna hurt anybody's feelings, but AMG really starts at the 63 level. The brand has really gotten watered down with the 43s and 53s. There's definitely truth to what you are saying and I've made similar arguments in the past. There are really two kinds of car buyers. Those that buy a car to get from A to B, and those that buy it for the experience and the journey. AMG buyers fall into the latter group and I would argue you as a cabriolet buyer as well, just different, but a cabriolet is really about the experience and not just getting from A to B. As for AMG, there is more to a performance car than just speed. There is the sharper handling, better brakes and just the overall feel of being much more connected to the car even just driving around normally on a daily basis. Now you do pay for that with reduced comfort, so it all comes down to priorities. I haven't owned a normal car for over a decade. In the last 10+ years all my cars have been performance models and my current DD is a C63S Coupe. Whenever I drive a "normal" car like when mine is in for service and I'm given a loaner, I'm bored to death. I'm fortunate that I live in a part of the country with nice mountain and canyon roads outside the metropolitan areas where law enforcement is also largely absent, so I do get to experience what these cars can do. I also have done European Delivery with my last two cars to experience them on the roads they were made for. I stayed 2 months with my C63S in Europe and drove over 6000 miles. I just can't go back to normal commuter cars. Not sure how much longer we get to enjoy cars like the current AMG 63s, but if they go away I might consider giving up car ownership altogether. I just don't see the benefits of owning a normal car, especially since I mostly buy cars for fun and the experience. I don't commute, so most of my driving is recreational.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-26-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by superswiss
Some would argue that the C43 is not really an AMG. Don't wanna hurt anybody's feelings, but AMG really starts at the 63 level. The brand has really gotten watered down with the 43s and 53s. There's definitely truth to what you are saying and I've made similar arguments in the past. There are really two kinds of car buyers. Those that buy a car to get from A to B, and those that buy it for the experience and the journey. AMG buyers fall into the latter group and I would argue you as a cabriolet buyer as well, just different, but a cabriolet is really about the experience and not just getting from A to B. As for AMG, there is more to a performance car than just speed. There is the sharper handling, better brakes and just the overall feel of being much more connected to the car even just driving around normally on a daily basis. Now you do pay for that with reduced comfort, so it all comes down to priorities. I haven't owned a normal car for over a decade. In the last 10+ years all my cars have been performance models and my current DD is a C63S Coupe. Whenever I drive a "normal" car like when mine is in for service and I'm given a loaner, I'm bored to death. I'm fortunate that I live in a part of the country with nice mountain and canyon roads outside the metropolitan areas where law enforcement is also largely absent, so I do get to experience what these cars can do. I also have done European Delivery with my last two cars to experience them on the roads they were made for. I stayed 2 months with my C63S in Europe and drove over 6000 miles. I just can't go back to normal commuter cars. Not sure how much longer we get to enjoy cars like the current AMG 63s, but if they go away I might consider giving up car ownership altogether. I just don't see the benefits of owning a normal car, especially since I mostly buy cars for fun and the experience. I don't commute, so most of my driving is recreational.
Just slap an AMG badge on the c300. 50 more HP!

I am just happy mine makes those fart noises in sport +
Old 01-26-2020, 06:24 PM

C300 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Andy74
Can you demonstrate what you are saying by posting some pictures of your car? One small remark, as one of the guys here said, driving a c300 or any other non performance car does not guarantee you a will have a ticket free life. Its all about your driving style...
Don't have any pictures handy but here is a link to a youtube Video, this is pretty much exactly my car.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 2015
Don't have any pictures handy but here is a link to a youtube Video, this is pretty much exactly my car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNhGb28Eu0k
Nice car but it really can't be compared to or replace a C43 or C63s.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:55 PM

C300 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Andy74
Nice car but it really can't be compared to or replace a C43 or C63s.
Thank you.
I would say it depends. Below couple of C43 on the market and I think except of the missing AMG badge and the rear spoiler, it is very difficult to tell the difference between these and mine:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5690/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0211/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5092/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0051/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3696/overview/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who needs an AMG - My C300 Cabrio has plenty of power