C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Wheel alignment question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 12:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C300 w/ sport package
Wheel alignment question

Can anyone confirm if you get a 4 wheel alignment done at the dealer that they check thrust angle and SAI? I've seen the dealership alignment readout sheet and it doesn't show these measurements but maybe they're just calling it by a different name? I attached an example of what the dealer readout looks like.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:54 PM

Received 181 Likes on 142 Posts
2017 C43
Originally Posted by Bmarcinczyk14
Can anyone confirm if you get a 4 wheel alignment done at the dealer that they check thrust angle and SAI? I've seen the dealership alignment readout sheet and it doesn't show these measurements but maybe they're just calling it by a different name? I attached an example of what the dealer readout looks like.
Yes, they do and yes different alignment machines have different terms as well.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by mo11
Yes, they do and yes different alignment machines have different terms as well.

Can you tell me which term is thrust angle and which is SAI?
Old 01-25-2020, 04:12 PM

2017 C43
Can you tell me which term is thrust angle and which is SAI?
geometrical driving axis = thrust angle

SAI on the other hand is all integrated with measurements at 20°. Then, final measurements at 0°
Those measurements include SAI/IA and toe out on turns.

If any of the measurements are out of spec for SAI/IA it will show red and won’t let the tech complete the alignment.
The following users liked this post:
benzdude (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 05:16 PM

geometrical driving axis = thrust angle

SAI on the other hand is all integrated with measurements at 20°. Then, final measurements at 0°
Those measurements include SAI/IA and toe out on turns.

If any of the measurements are out of spec for SAI/IA it will show red and won’t let the tech complete the alignment.
Awesome thanks for all that info. I'm going to have my cars alignment checked because I'm sort of paranoid maybe the subframe got tweaked or something. I bought it as a certified pre-owned (frame and alignment should have already been checked) only a couple months ago, completely clean carfax. It's hard to explain what I'm feeling when driving but the car seems to kinda sway back and forth every so often, maybe has to do with little road irregularities but I don't exactly know what causes it to feel that way. And the car seems to be really sensitive to crosswind, you can really feel it. Another strange thing I noticed is whenever I park as straight as possible in a parking spot, the driver side rear looks crooked but the passenger side looks completely straight. I can't figure out how that is even possible lol. Either way the alignment check should tell me if there is something to worry about like a tweaked subframe correct?

Old 01-25-2020, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 183 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
The lowest bidder stripped the parking lot.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey53
The lowest bidder stripped the parking lot.
Lol I was thinking that may be the case but it's not just this parking lot it's been multiple I've noticed the same thing.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
With Extended Mobility Tires - yes - at times you will feel a quick "Fan-Tail-Dance" - sidewalls have much less flex and that energy has to move something..
Old 01-25-2020, 07:15 PM

2017 C43
Awesome thanks for all that info. I'm going to have my cars alignment checked because I'm sort of paranoid maybe the subframe got tweaked or something. I bought it as a certified pre-owned (frame and alignment should have already been checked) only a couple months ago, completely clean carfax. It's hard to explain what I'm feeling when driving but the car seems to kinda sway back and forth every so often, maybe has to do with little road irregularities but I don't exactly know what causes it to feel that way. And the car seems to be really sensitive to crosswind, you can really feel it. Another strange thing I noticed is whenever I park as straight as possible in a parking spot, the driver side rear looks crooked but the passenger side looks completely straight. I can't figure out how that is even possible lol. Either way the alignment check should tell me if there is something to worry about like a tweaked subframe correct?

Well, these cars do come with Crosswind Assist as standard. Do you feel like your “ping-ponging” in your lane? Did your car come with Driver Assistance Package? If it did, you can turn the Active Steering Assist off. Mine came with the Driver Assistance Package and it does give that “ping-pong” effect when it’s on. So, I just Keep it off until I use the cruise control.
Also, the front and rear track are different, so if you’re gauging the distance when you park against the parking stripe, it may look crooked... worse when you have wider staggered after market rims.
You can also ask a friend to drive behind you... like 5 car lengths behind. If there’s something wrong with your chassis, the car behind you will see you tracking to the left or right like a crab walking sideways.

Last edited by mo11; 01-25-2020 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:45 PM

Well, these cars do come with Crosswind Assist as standard. Do you feel like your “ping-ponging” in your lane? Did your car come with Driver Assistance Package? If it did, you can turn the Active Steering Assist off. Mine came with the Driver Assistance Package and it does give that “ping-pong” effect when it’s on. So, I just Keep it off until I use the cruise control.
Also, the front and rear track are different, so if you’re gauging the distance when you park against the parking stripe, it may look crooked... worse when you have wider staggered after market rims.
You can also ask a friend to drive behind you... like 5 car lengths behind. If there’s something wrong with your chassis, the car behind you will see you tracking to the left or right like a crab walking sideways.
My car does not have driver assist. So is the front track wider than the rear? That's what it would look like in the picture, but still strange the other side looks completely straight lol. Would the alignment check pickup if there was something going on with the subframe that needs further looking into?
Old 01-25-2020, 08:56 PM

2017 C43
My car does not have driver assist. So is the front track wider than the rear? That's what it would look like in the picture, but still strange the other side looks completely straight lol. Would the alignment check pickup if there was something going on with the subframe that needs further looking into?
Yes, if the technician is meticulous he should be able to catch it. The alignment machine definitely will, but if the tech ignores it... worse, overrides the machine’s findings.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:09 PM

Yes, if the technician is meticulous he should be able to catch it. The alignment machine definitely will, but if the tech ignores it... worse, overrides the machine’s findings.
By override do you mean purposely change bad readings to good? Not sure what advantage they'd have by doing that.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:02 PM

2017 C43
By override do you mean purposely change bad readings to good? Not sure what advantage they'd have by doing that.
Lazy people everywhere.... hahaha!
Old 01-26-2020, 02:35 AM

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
W205 C300, W212 E350, Q50
You can measure yourself. Height from ground to the top of the wheel housing, clearance between the tire and the wheel housing. Driver side and passenger side should have the same height and clearance.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 449 Likes on 345 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by realeric
You can measure yourself. Height from ground to the top of the wheel housing, clearance between the tire and the wheel housing. Driver side and passenger side should have the same height and clearance.
use a level tool to measure all 4 wheels?
Old 02-01-2020, 03:55 PM

Finally got the alignment done and everything was able to be moved into the green so looks like I don't have any subframe damage! I'm guessing with subframe damage you'll notice the geometric driving axis out of spec but that was good from the start.

Old 02-01-2020, 05:13 PM

So interestingly enough I noticed the back and forth sway symptoms after they performed the below attached recall steering gear bolt replacement. While it doesn't require a front wheel alignment on mine like the other vehicles, it's a little suspicious the front toe was so far off especially compared to the rear. My guess is they really should in fact be doing alignments to the front on the w205's even though the procedure says otherwise, or maybe the tech who did the recall disconnected more stuff than he should have causing the toe to get all messed up.
Edit: Actually they had to replace the steering gear on mine, not just the bolts which means they should in fact have done the alignment on the front of my car.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2019080019.pdf (515.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: pdf
2019080019 (1).pdf (515.1 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by Bmarcinczyk14; 02-01-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
With Extended Mobility Tires - yes - at times you will feel a quick "Fan-Tail-Dance" - sidewalls have much less flex and that energy has to move something..
What exactly is a fan tail dance? I got the car aligned and I felt like for a couple days I didn't notice this swaying back and forth feeling over slight road imperfections but then it came back again. Sometimes it even causes the car to start pulling slightly to the left or right. I'm definitely not a fan of this feeling almost makes the car not feel as solid as it should. Hopefully it's just a normal phenomena with the run-flat tires and something isn't messed up with the suspension or something. Does anyone else feel what I'm describing?
Old 02-06-2020, 03:38 PM

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts
2016 C300W4 (W205), Luxury Pkg, Diamond Silver Met. and Silk Beige\Espresso Interior
What exactly is a fan tail dance? I got the car aligned and I felt like for a couple days I didn't notice this swaying back and forth feeling over slight road imperfections but then it came back again. Sometimes it even causes the car to start pulling slightly to the left or right. I'm definitely not a fan of this feeling almost makes the car not feel as solid as it should. Hopefully it's just a normal phenomena with the run-flat tires and something isn't messed up with the suspension or something. Does anyone else feel what I'm describing?
I used to get that exact road feel in my Jag XJ6 a few years ago. Determined that it was something called tramlining, where the tires have a tendency to follow road imperfections/lines and makes the car feel like it is pulling slightly side to side in the lane and causes a general unsteadiness.

In my case a brand new set of tires immediately fixed it and the behavior went completely away.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by diamondsilver16
I used to get that exact road feel in my Jag XJ6 a few years ago. Determined that it was something called tramlining, where the tires have a tendency to follow road imperfections/lines and makes the car feel like it is pulling slightly side to side in the lane and causes a general unsteadiness.

In my case a brand new set of tires immediately fixed it and the behavior went completely away.
They are the original run-flat tires. Do they have a tendency to "tramline"?